Pleasant Valley Library Online Book Group discussion

Book of the Month > October Book - A Man Called Ove

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 300 comments Mod
Post your thoughts on A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman here!

"A grumpy yet loveable man finds his solitary world turned on its head when a boisterous young family moves in next door.

Meet Ove. He's a curmudgeon, the kind of man who points at people he dislikes as if they were burglars caught outside his bedroom window. He has staunch principles, strict routines, and a short fuse. People call him the bitter neighbor from hell, but must Ove be bitter just because he doesn't walk around with a smile plastered to his face all the time?

Behind the cranky exterior there is a story and a sadness. So when one November morning a chatty young couple with two chatty young daughters move in next door and accidentally flatten Ove's mailbox, it is the lead-in to a comical and heartwarming tale of unkempt cats, unexpected friendship, and the ancient art of backing up a U-Haul. All of which will change one cranky old man and a local residents' association to their very foundations."

message 2: by Mary (new)

Mary | 63 comments I loved this book!!! Who knew we would be drawn to this grumpy character, but when you find out his story, you will be drawn in too!!! Definitely a good choice for book club!!! I vote Yes!
Mary

message 3: by PugMom (new)

PugMom (nicoleg76) | 190 comments I noticed that there's quite a long wait for the audio book through the library and also lots of holds on the hard copies. I did find it on Hoopla if anyone can access it that way.

message 4: by Courtney (new)

NicoleG wrote: "I noticed that there's quite a long wait for the audio book through the library and also lots of holds on the hard copies. I did find it on Hoopla if anyone can access it that way."

If you're getting the book from the Mid-Hudson library system, it shouldn't have that many holds on it. You can get the hard copy here or the audio book here. It's also available as an ebook or audio download on Overdrive, but there is a bit of a longer wait list there. Hoopla's a great source too!

message 5: by PugMom (new)

PugMom (nicoleg76) | 190 comments I'm listening to it now. What a good book. I didn't realize his name was pronounced "OOVA" so I'm glad I got the audio book.

message 6: by Courtney (new)

NicoleG wrote: "I'm listening to it now. What a good book. I didn't realize his name was pronounced "OOVA" so I'm glad I got the audio book."

I didn't know that either; I've been pronouncing it Oh-ve. I love this book. Ove is such a lovable character. I really like Backman's writing style and how natural the dialogue between characters is. Ove reminds me a lot of Carl from the Disney movie Up. The book touches on a lot of sad topics but manages to be very funny at the same time. I particularly love Ove's relationship with the cat. Ove sticks to routines and is unwilling to change without some help. Do you think it's better to stick to routines in life or be spontaneous?

message 7: by PugMom (new)

PugMom (nicoleg76) | 190 comments I think a little bit of both is good. Have your routines but be open to adventures.
Sometimes I find myself thinking like Ove...like when I'm at work and someone does something stupid and I'm thinking, "why can't people have some common sense nowadays" LOL
I was so sad when the book ended! I wanted more!

message 8: by Courtney (new)

NicoleG wrote: "I think a little bit of both is good. Have your routines but be open to adventures.
Sometimes I find myself thinking like Ove...like when I'm at work and someone does something stupid and I'm think..."

Fredrick Backman has 4 other books in English, Britt-Marie Was Here, My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry, Beartown, and And Every Morning the Way Home Gets Longer and Longer. I've read Britt-Marie was Here and My Grandmother Asked Me To Tell You She's Sorry, and they were both just as good!

message 9: by Sheri (new)

Sheri Vincent | 51 comments At first I was not sure I would like this book. Ove seemed so cranky and complained a lot, kind of negative. I am glad I kept reading. I really loved this book. I loved the characters, the love, friendships, humor, transformations, the depth, and the way it was written. I will be reading more of Backmans books.

message 10: by Mary (new)

Mary | 63 comments Oh I totally agree, I thought it would be so negative I was losing 8nterest, but...! So glad I kept reading as it turned out to be a deep story and showed that we really don’t know how some people are suffering inside. When the movie came out, we ran to it, loving the portrayal of Ove and his life! A memorable book for sure!

message 11: by PugMom (new)

PugMom (nicoleg76) | 190 comments I had no idea there was a movie. I'll have to see it.
I didn't think I would like it either but I was actually sad when I was done with it.

message 12: by Sheri (new)

Sheri Vincent | 51 comments I didn't know there was a movie either, I would like to see it! Thank you Mary! I didn't want it to end either Nicole.

message 13: by PugMom (new)

PugMom (nicoleg76) | 190 comments I smiled every time he said something like, "why can't people just do what they are supposed to do"? Wouldn't that be great if people did that!! Sometimes I think the same thing LOL