Horror Aficionados discussion

Book Recommendations > Spooky non-fiction reads for October?

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Neutrino (new)

Neutrino Increasing | 9 comments Anyone trying to read some non-fiction books dealing with ghosts/cryptids/occult/weird folklore this month? I am a non-believer, trough and trough, but I used to enjoy stuff by Jacques F. Vallée or Joseph A. Citro. Only thing of that sort that I've read recently is Ghostland: An American History in Haunted Places which I thoroughly enjoyed but it isn't exactly on the scary side and is written from a distinctly skeptical sociological POV. I have been eying Catherine Crowe's classic 19th century study, mostly because it had its influence on many of 19th/early 20th century writers of ghost stories.

message 2: by Lena (last edited Oct 02, 2017 05:52AM) (new)

message 3: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latasha513) | 11050 comments Mod
What do u have in mind? I could probably fit one in.

message 4: by JL (new)

JL Shioshita (uberproductions) | 149 comments A year or two back I read Deliver Us from Evil A New York City Cop Investigates the Supernatural by Ralph Sarchie
It got a bit repetitive but if you're into demonic possession it was interesting.

Mixofsunandcloud | 538 comments I don't read a lot of non-fiction ones. I just tend to pick something like that up when I'm visiting somewhere. Dale Jarvis does Newfoundland ghost stories, which I enjoy, because it's my home, and that makes it more interesting for me. They're also probably hard to find outside of Newfoundland.

Really though, I'm recommending finding ghost stories about places you know, those are usually the most fun.

I've heard stuff about Ed Warren, and his books of his and his wife's investigations, but I've never read them.

Celtic mythology tends to fit in well with Halloween, if I recall. Or something about Witch hunts or trials.

message 6: by Caleb.Lives (last edited Oct 03, 2017 07:23AM) (new)

Caleb.Lives | 6 comments Dark Intrusions: An Investigation into the Paranormal Nature of Sleep Paralysis Experiences by Louis Proud will certainly produce some shudders.
Now, I most certainly wouldn't describe it as skeptic-friendly, but if you have suffered trough sleep paralysis yourself or have someone in your immediate friend or family circle who did, then you'll at least be able to sympathize with author's angle even if you don' share it.
Another thing that I've enjoyed recently is Medieval Ghost Stories: An Anthology of Miracles, Marvels and Prodigies by Andrew Joynes.
Doctor to the Dead: Grotesque Legends and Folk Tales of Old Charleston by John Bennett would also make for some great autumnal reading.