Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Adding New Books > book titile not on dashboard

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rob (new)

Rob Scarborough | 24 comments Hi, I noticed that my title, Daft Harry, The April Fool, paperback does not show on my author dashboard although it can be searched on goodreads.

Is it possible to rectify that please?

Regards Rob Scarborough

message 2: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13731 comments Could you link to the book, please? I can only find the Kindle edition and that one is already on your profile.

message 3: by Rob (new)

Rob Scarborough | 24 comments Good morning Lethe.....
Ah, that could be the problem... There is no Kindle edition of Daft Harry, The April Fool...yet.....Only a paperback edition that I sell on amazon....https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B074CXX8YP

☕ Lachgas ♿  (lachgas) | 6187 comments You entered it with an ASIN Rob, that makes it either a kindle edition or an audible audio book - paperbacks don't have ASIN assigned to them.
So that's the point causing confusion.

message 5: by Krazykiwi (new)

Krazykiwi | 1767 comments It's a third party vendor copy of the paperback, the ASIN should be removed.

It's only confusing this time because the vendor in this case is also the author, and it's not a second hand copy.

Rob: As above, ASINS for audible or Kindle editions, ISBN's for paperbacks that have them, or don't enter the identifier if it doesn't actually have one.

message 6: by Rob (new)

Rob Scarborough | 24 comments Krazykiwi wrote: "It's a third party vendor copy of the paperback, the ASIN should be removed.

It's only confusing this time because the vendor in this case is also the author, and it's not a second hand copy.

Ro..."

Interesting.... So I should ignore my paperback asins when listing on goodreads? My paperbacks also have their own 13 digit EAN's as identifiers, I have been told not to use those either, can you confirm please. ....No numbers whatsoever, just titles as identifiers?
Thanks for your help Rob

message 7: by Rob (new)

Rob Scarborough | 24 comments Lachgas wrote: "You entered it with an ASIN Rob, that makes it either a kindle edition or an audible audio book - paperbacks don't have ASIN assigned to them.
So that's the point causing confusion."

I have around 20 paperback publications which all have ASIN's ....Amazon won't list without asin identifiers. It is not law to have ISBN numbers for books, but they must at least have an asin (on Amazon). The asin's allocated to paperback and kindle copy of the same title, will be different.

message 8: by Krazykiwi (new)

Krazykiwi | 1767 comments IF you publish the books in kindle or Audible format through KDP, use the ASIN. In those cases, the ASIN is the book identifier and is (or should be) unique to the book.

If you're selling otherwise printed paperbacks on Amazon, then the ASIN is just a seller identifier and is not relevant to GR. There's nothing stopping you selling a frying pan on the same ASIN next week (other than you probably don't have any frying pans)

If you give the books ISBN's then use those. All ISBN's are valid EAN's, but not all EAN's are ISBN's.

GR does not record EAN's at all, they are not book identifiers. If your paperback books do not have ISBN's, then they don't have a book identifier to enter.