Beyond The Surface discussion

Book of the Month Discussions > October 2017: Book of the Month

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tiana (new)

Tiana | 22 comments Mod
Hello everyone!

I'm so excited to announce the October book club pick of the month that Indy has chosen for us to read.

I've gotta say that this is one of my most anticipated books of 2017 and I'm super excited to be reading it this October.

Our October book of the month is The Art of Starving by Sam J. Miller!

The Art of Starving by Sam J. Miller

Why I am excited for this book:

It is magical realism mixed with mental health creating something extraordinary and I can just feel with my soul that this is going to be a beautiful novel.
I read the first chapter on epic reads first 5 and the writing in just that first chapter was impeccable.
It is an LGBT read and we all need to read more novels with LGBT representation.
The whole premise of this book is fascinating to me and I really want to see how the author handles the eating disorder while mixing in magical elements.
That cover is my kind of aesthetically pleasing… I mean just look at how simple yet gorgeous it is!!!

message 2: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (debbieslibrary) | 6 comments I have recently finished the audiobook for this novel. And even after finishing it a few days ago, I still don’t know how I feel about this book. Again I really liked the fact that it is written in first person, so you are inside someone’s head and get to see there thought process. But the thing that made me feel uncomfortable was the magical realism in this book and I am still not dure if it was real op not.