Fantasy and Vampire Book Club discussion

Dead Until Dark (Sookie Stackhouse, #1)
This topic is about Dead Until Dark
Book of the Month > Halloween Mod Favourite BOM

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Adele, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Adele (turtil) | 1767 comments Mod
it's about time we read this one. i've been waiting to read it for ages!
how does the book compare to the show?
which one do you prefer?
i prefer the book personally.
have you read it? i haven't read it in a while but i'd love to hear from you below on your thoughts about this book and its series.
feel free to post your review as well ( or a link to your review). I will read it.

ok here is the synopsis:

Sookie Stackhouse is a small-time cocktail waitress in small-town Louisiana. She's quiet, keeps to herself, and doesn't get out much. Not because she's not pretty. She is. It's just that, well, Sookie has this sort of "disability." She can read minds. And that doesn't make her too dateable. And then along comes Bill. He's tall, dark, handsome--and Sookie can't hear a word he's thinking. He's exactly the type of guy she's been waiting for all her life....

But Bill has a disability of his own: He's a vampire with a bad reputation. He hangs with a seriously creepy crowd, all suspected of--big surprise--murder. And when one of Sookie's coworkers is killed, she fears she's next....

message 2: by Adele, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

oh and if you have an idea for a future BOM theme... pop in here and we will feature it in a future BOM.
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 3: by Adele, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

My old review of this book.... i will be updating it after this re read https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 4: by Amyiw, Challenges Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amyiw | 1083 comments Mod
I'll be reading it as I really don't remember much to be able to comment much. I remember liking it though. Got to book 3. I've been meaning to get back to it.

message 5: by Adele, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

i haven't reread it at all! or at least i dont remember doing a reread.
i also dont remember much about the book either. so this month will be interesting!

message 6: by Adele, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

oh man this is good. i have watched the true blood series and i forgot how different this is.

message 7: by Amyiw, Challenges Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Yes, it starts out different, I don't remember if it diverged in the first or second book. I just got the audio from the library so will read it this week.

message 8: by Amyiw, Challenges Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

I just wrote a whole page and it total flicked out and is gone. I'm so frustrated it is not funny. Will come back.

message 9: by Amyiw, Challenges Moderator (last edited Oct 24, 2017 10:45PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

OK, I reviewed it and will steal it there as... I never reviewed it after my first read! I definitely liked it better the 2nd time.

My Review.
So I think I may have liked this more on the second read. Though since I failed to review it, I don't have a true memory aide.

The characters are great and the set up of how the vampires are to humans is original and makes the reader want to know more. Bill the vampire is trying to go mainstream but how many vampires do this? The others seem to resent it. Sookie is naive in so many ways yet she has a strength that keeps her on top of all the new information. Her southern morals and attitude get a battering with all the crap that is thrown at her, yet she maintains her beliefs and moral compass. I hope it continues in the rest of the books.

Lots of good characters. The plot line of who is killing the women keeps a focus. I like that Sookie is not TSTL and strong enough on her own. I really liked that. Been meaning to get back to this series and glad that I have.