Richard III discussion

Group Reads > The White Queen for those who have finished

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 1139 comments Mod
Thanks to Tanzanite for giving me input on timelines for the group threads.

message 2: by Tanzanite (new)

Tanzanite | 36 comments I'm having trouble with my computer not letting my copy my review I posted on my blog, so I"ll put a link to it here. I try to avoid spoilers (even didn't mention the one that Gregory herself gave away just in case someone hadn't see that one!).

http://shelfandstuff.blogspot.com/200...

message 3: by Misfit (new)

I read that last night, very good well balanced review as always. I have more hope for the book seeing that.

message 4: by Susan (new)

Susan (boswellbaxter) | 418 comments Just out of curiosity, does she give a "Further Reading" list in her author's note (assuming she has one)?

message 5: by Tanzanite (new)

Tanzanite | 36 comments There is an Author's Note (about 3 pages long) as well as a bibliography (also about 3 pages long)

message 6: by Mandy (new)

Mandy Moody | 17 comments A couple of the books in the bibliography look interesting.
Has anyone read any David Baldwin?
The Lost Prince The Survival of Richard of York
and
Elizabeth Woodville
both look really good.
Wondering how the author is and/or if anyone's read either of these...

message 7: by Susan (new)

Susan (boswellbaxter) | 418 comments I liked his Elizabeth Woodville bio, though I didn't agree with his interpretation of why Elizabeth retired to an abbey during Henry VII's reign. Arlene Okerlund also has written a biography of Elizabeth.

I tried reading The Lost Prince, but couldn't get through it. Baldwin has also written a book about Warwick the Kingmaker's sisters entitled--get ready for this--The Kingmaker's Sisters. I thought that was very interesting.

message 8: by Marie (new)

Marie Burton (marieburton2004) | 24 comments I also enjoyed Baldwin's Woodville book, but not a lot of new insight on Elizabeth, yet worthwhile reading for Wars of the Roses info. And it was pretty short/ light reading. Still going to read The Lost Prince someday.

message 9: by Mandy (new)

Mandy Moody | 17 comments I put in a ILL request at my library for both of them (The Kingmakers Sisters didn't sound interesting to me!)
So I'm hoping they'll come through for me!
I'd like to read them both. If I do, I'll be sure to post about the Lost Prince.

message 10: by Robin (new)

Robin | 142 comments I was reading a post on one of the blogs I follow and the blogger met PG last night and she posted some of the responses to some of the audience's questions. The reason I'm mentioning it here is a comment of PG's that seems to indicate that she will probably be portraying Richard and Elizabeth of York as having had an affair.

http://histficchick.blogspot.com/2009...

message 11: by Tanzanite (new)

Tanzanite | 36 comments I saw that as well Robin and it sounds like not only will she likely include that in her book but that she also really believes it.

message 12: by Robin (new)

Robin | 142 comments Tanzanite wrote: "I saw that as well Robin and it sounds like not only will she likely include that in her book but that she also really believes it."

...sigh...and so many people seem to take what she says as gospel. Hopefully folks will read her work, get interested, and then go find other, more accurate books to read.

message 13: by Robin (new)

Robin | 142 comments If you happened to read the comments, the blog author says that PG stressed that her work is FICTION.

Seems like she's contradicting herself?

message 14: by Misfit (last edited Sep 18, 2009 05:22AM) (new)

I saw it as well. I kind of suspected she was heading towards something between the two at the end of the book and was hoping it wasn't go to be so.

The comments are a bit interesting as well.