Richard III discussion

Group Reads > The White Queen September 1472 - June 25 1483

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 1139 comments Mod
Please discuss here.

message 2: by Robin (new)

Robin | 142 comments While I understand why PG stopped the story where she did (she had to have something to talk about in the next book of course), the way she ended just didn't sit well with me. It just...stopped, almost mid-thought. I think she could have done a little better job there.

message 3: by Misfit (new)

I didn't like the ending either, nor the twist she took on Bess and Richard's relationship. I dread where it's going to go in the next book.

I wasn't too thrilled with getting Bess involved in the water witch/cursing stuff either.

message 4: by Robin (new)

Robin | 142 comments Yes, the way she handled the relationship between Richard and Bess is certainly questionable. And I agree, Bess getting involved with that curse was a bit...ironic to put it one way, considering what happens to HER son and her lack of grandsons. Guess that's PG's way of saying who she thinks killed the Princes.

message 5: by Marie (new)

Marie (marieburton2004) | 24 comments Did anyone notice how it seemed that Elizabeth cared more for the younger boys as opposed to her Grey sons?
Yes, they were given due diligence in the novel, but when 'her boys' were mentioned, and even something where her first-born was mentioned, and she was not referring to the Grey boys.. That irked me.
Regardless of who was to be king someday etc, being a mom, one shouldn't call the third son her first-born.

message 6: by Marie (new)

Marie (marieburton2004) | 24 comments I read Barnes' Tudor Rose immediately after this and I must say the read was refreshing but it definitely lacked the Gregory drama! Sometimes I was grinning when I was reading The White Queen, just for the pure silly knowledge that THAT would never have happened.. but it was a fun read althogether.

message 7: by Misfit (new)

Marie wrote: "Did anyone notice how it seemed that Elizabeth cared more for the younger boys as opposed to her Grey sons?
Yes, they were given due diligence in the novel, but when 'her boys' were mentioned, an..."

That bothered me as well, and it didn't make sense as she was using in the first person. You're a mom, would you think of your sons as "grey sons" or just my sons.

It's fun watching the reactions and reviews. They're all over the board at Amazon.

As for the curse, I think we all know where that one is going by book three.

It's been a good couple of years since I read Tudor Rose, had to go back to the old Amazon review to refresh my memory.

Penman's Sunne is still the best, but there's also Treason, The Seventh Son, The Lodestar to name three. There are also the Worth and Smith books but those are two authors that are not for me. I don't care for the over the top perfect Richard and Anne myself.

message 8: by Marie (new)

Marie (marieburton2004) | 24 comments I read the first Love & War by Worth, & now I know what Ricardian means =)
what/who is the Smith you mention? I was trying to figure out which way PG was going with the curse, & was surprised with the Buckingh angle as well, but I guess she is leaning towards The Tudor line.

message 9: by Susan (new)

Susan (boswellbaxter) | 418 comments I remember thinking in skimming that Elizabeth kept referring to the death of her brother Anthony, but hardly ever mentioned that of her son Richard Grey. But I was just skimming at that point.

message 10: by Misfit (new)

Marie wrote: "I read the first Love & War by Worth, & now I know what Ricardian means =)
what/who is the Smith you mention? I was trying to figure out which way PG was going with the curse, & was surprised with ..."

I was thinking of Anne Easter Smith. I understand her Richard is pretty pure as the driven snow, but I could be mistaken. I tried the King's Daughter but didn't make it much past page 100. The "tis" and "certes" were driving me nuts, but then she pulled off one of those things that most likely never ever happened things and I was done.

Susan, in the latter part of the book she "talked" about her Grey sons all the time and they were always her Grey sons.

As for Worth, *misfit sits on hands to keep them off the keyboard*

message 11: by Robin (new)

Robin | 142 comments Misfit wrote: "As for Worth, *misfit sits on hands to keep them off the keyboard*"

Okay...gotta fill me in here!

message 12: by Tanzanite (new)

Tanzanite | 36 comments Without going too far OT, Worth's next book will be about Lady Catherine Gordon (I think that's her name) - the wife of Perkin Warbeck - and will be called "Pale Rose of England."

message 13: by Misfit (new)

Tanzanite wrote: "Without going too far OT, Worth's next book will be about Lady Catherine Gordon (I think that's her name) - the wife of Perkin Warbeck - and will be called "Pale Rose of England.""

Hmm. Interesting subject matter.

Robin wrote: "Misfit wrote: "As for Worth, *misfit sits on hands to keep them off the keyboard*"

Okay...gotta fill me in here!

"

**sits on hands to keep fingers off keyboard***

message 14: by Susan (new)

Susan (boswellbaxter) | 418 comments There's an old (1950) novel about Perkin Warbeck and Catherine Gordon called Merchant of the Ruby by Alice Harwood. I have a copy but haven't read it yet.

message 15: by Robin (new)

Robin | 142 comments While I certainly wasn't blown away by this book (no surprise there) I will be looking for the next two because I'm curious as to what she's going to do with Margaret Beaufort and Elizabeth of York (and if she mentions the "curse" again).

message 16: by Misfit (new)

Somehow I guess the curse will keep ticking and ticking and repeating itself, like the energizer bunny.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) C'mon, Misfit!

The Energizer bunny - Snort!

message 18: by Christia (new)

Christia If anyone lives in the metro Atlanta, GA area, I wanted to share with you that Philippa Gregory will be speaking on the evening of September 21 at Agnes Scott College. located in Decatur, GA. A book signing will follow. I called this morning to reserve a seat and was told tickets aren't actually available yet (I was told to check back closer to Sept. 6 or 7).

message 19: by Robin (new)

Robin | 142 comments Christia wrote: "If anyone lives in the metro Atlanta, GA area, I wanted to share with you that Philippa Gregory will be speaking on the evening of September 21 at Agnes Scott College. located in Decatur, GA. A bo..."

Sigh...that's about 20 minutes from me. But I certainly am not paying just to get her to sign a book and talk about how great a historian she is. Lol.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) When I was student at Agnes Scott, our visiting author-with-speech was Eudora Welty. We got out of English class for it.

How things have changed!

message 21: by Mandy (new)

Mandy Moody | 17 comments I'm almost through with this one - hoping to finish it up this afternoon at the gym.

I absolutely hated the first person writing at the beginning. It seems so at odds with the genre. Especially with everything being in the present tense - "I go" "I think" "I am"...it's distracting!
As I continue reading, though, it's feeling more natural. I'm sure it's because I'm getting used to it, but I also think it's contributing to the urgent feeling of what's happening. At this point I'm actually thinking that 1st person/present tense was sort of genius of Gregory...it certainly sets her apart.

I actually don't mind the way Elizabeth mentioned her "Grey Sons" - I think it's probably fairly realistic. They are older and from her previous marriage, it makes sense that she would think of them less then her sons with Edward. And she does show motherly concern and love for them...
I haven't read a book about Elizabeth where she was portrayed as a decent mother until this one, and in other books her Grey sons haven't been mentioned nearly as often as in this one.

I'm actually enjoying all the Melusina (sp?) stuff, too. I didn't think I would when I first started reading, but it's grown on me.

PG writes the smut of the historical fiction world, but you have to admit it's entertaining. It's a quick read, too, which I appreciate after finishing up an 800 page Dumas!