Litsy discussion

October is for Horror Books

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (clevercactus) | 14 comments I am going to read only horror books for the month of October starting with Stephen King's The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon. Is anyone else interested in reading 30 days of horror books this October? I am not suggesting we read the same book. Rather, it might be fun just to share what we read along that theme. Just a suggestion.

message 2: by Ryan (new)

Ryan (librarianryan) | 19 comments I too am going for dark thrillers/horror. on my list
- finish Zom-B
-Merciless
-Survive the Night
-Crazy House

message 3: by Victoria (new)

Victoria (vicki_c) | 10 comments I was also considering this for October. I have a few sitting around. Mr. Splitfoot, The Grip of It, and Ghost Summer: Stories.

message 4: by Vinny (new)

Vinny (billypar) | 6 comments I'm interested in reading more horror, so this thread is great for that- I will keep an eye on it. I'm at the stage though where I'm so new, I hardly know where to start. I read mostly literary fiction now, but don't want "literary-horror" because I'd rather get familiar with just a straight-up, well-done horror novel. I just read Bird Box, which is quasi-horror I guess, and really enjoyed it. I'd be interested in hearing more of those runaway hits that have a passionate following, outside of Stephen King and Joe Hill (not because I don't want to read them, but because I could already find something by them fairly easily). Thanks for the thread, Rachel- it's about time I added a horror shelf outside of my general TBR.

message 5: by Victoria (last edited Oct 04, 2017 02:49PM) (new)

Victoria (vicki_c) | 10 comments Bird Box was great. I read another horror book this year, The Devil in Silver that I enjoyed. Not as good as Bird Box though. Have you read Horrorstör? That's a weird one but I liked it.

message 6: by Quirkyreader (new)

Quirkyreader | 7 comments Vinny,

Take a look at what I have read and my TBR. You will be set with horror stories for the next few years.

message 7: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (piratejenny) | 3 comments Victoria, Victor LaValle has a new one out called Changeling, which I'm in the middle of. It was marketed more toward a fairy-tale audience but it's really more horror. I'm loving it so much and LaValle is fantastic. I think any of his would be a good choice. Horrorstor was great as well and the same author also wrote My Best Friend's Exorcism which is fantastic. The paperback cover alone is worth it. I'm also reading The Best of Richard Matheson (you know him from many Twilight Zone episodes and novels like Hell House and I Am Legend).

message 8: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (clevercactus) | 14 comments Hey guys - if you are looking for a horror book Slade House by David Mitchell is $1.99 for Kindle right now! I bought it and will add tbr this month. Just a heads up! - Rachel

message 9: by Victoria (new)

Victoria (vicki_c) | 10 comments Oh my gosh, how could I forget Slade House! That received one of my infrequent 5 star ratings! And Jennifer thanks for the tip on the new LaValle book.

message 10: by Vinny (new)

Vinny (billypar) | 6 comments Thanks for the recommendations everyone!
-Victoria, I heard about Horrorstor but haven't read it--I was definitely intrigued from the description.
-Quirkyreader, lots to sort through on your list! I added Wine-dark Sea- I actually had the other Aickman collection I saw on my TBR, apparently.
-Jennifer, I've been wanting to try Matheson based on what I've seen from the film adaptations. I'll put LaValle on my list of authors to try as well- I'm not familiar with him.
-Rachel- I loved Slade House- that was actually my pick for a Halloween read last year: great stuff!

message 11: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Kline (andrewk106) | 4 comments Jennifer wrote: "Victoria, Victor LaValle has a new one out called Changeling, which I'm in the middle of. It was marketed more toward a fairy-tale audience but it's really more horror. I'm loving it so much and La..."

I thoroughly enjoyed The Changeling and The Ballad of Black Tom. I'm excited to read LaValle's other works.

I'm reading Stephen King's The Stand right now. I also just got My Favorite Thing is Monsters graphic novel from the library.

message 12: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Kline (andrewk106) | 4 comments Jennifer wrote: "Victoria, Victor LaValle has a new one out called Changeling, which I'm in the middle of. It was marketed more toward a fairy-tale audience but it's really more horror. I'm loving it so much and La..."

I thoroughly enjoyed The Changeling and The Ballad of Black Tom. I'm excited to read LaValle's other works.

I'm reading Stephen King's The Stand right now. I also just got My Favorite Thing is Monsters graphic novel from the library.

message 13: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (clevercactus) | 14 comments FYI - Invasion of the Body Snatchers by Jack Finney is $1.99 for the ebook on multiple ereader platforms!

message 14: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (clevercactus) | 14 comments Book #2: UR by Stephen King. Had to add this one because it's about an Amazon Kindle, which is the only way Inread anything. Lol. Happy hauntings!

message 15: by Sue (new)

Sue Dix | 6 comments I don't know whether it's considered horror, but I'm reading We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson as #buddyread w/@Tiffy_Reads for October.

message 16: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (piratejenny) | 3 comments Sue wrote: "I don't know whether it's considered horror, but I'm reading We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson as #buddyread w/@Tiffy_Reads for October."

Anything by Shirley Jackson is horror. :-) It may be different from more modern horror--her stuff is more of an under the skin, slow burn kind of thing. But it's all wonderful. I read this one for the first time earlier this year. Which reminds me that I have to finish two of the four Penguin did last year or two years ago-ish. They'd been out of print for a while. Oh, and there's a brand new one called Dark Tales that just came out.

message 17: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (clevercactus) | 14 comments I finished UR by Stephen King about an enchanted Kindle. Not very good. Onward to Burnt Offerings by Robert Marasco, which was one of King's inspirations behind the Shining. Happy hauntings!

message 18: by Jennifer (last edited Oct 10, 2017 05:56PM) (new)

Jennifer (piratejenny) | 3 comments There's going to be a new version of Hill House on Netflix. And it was the first Jack--no, wait, second Jackson I read. The first was "The Lottery." Which we still reenact at Penguin Classics every Halloween, even though our parties have discontinued. I am kind of sad I have never chosen the black dot and been the sacrifice.

message 19: by Subashini (new)

Subashini (subabat) | 4 comments I also read We Have Always Lived in the Castle for the buddy read on Litsy. Not particularly "horror" in the genre sense but unnerving and menacing in the psychological sense. Just brilliant. Have you read Shirley Jackson, Vinny? I think you might enjoy it...

Also reading this for the #wormybuddyread on Litsy: The Lair Of The White Worm. Not quite sure how I feel about this. Some disturbing "maintenance of the supremacy of our race" remarks at the start, and one instance of just flat out repugnant racism against an African male attendant. If there is more of this, I might bail... because the story is not gripping enough in any way so far...

And started reading Jo Nesbø's The Snowman. I'm a bit lost with the backstory of certain characters/relationships, because I haven't read anything else in the series. But I find the story really compelling and chilling.

message 20: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jpetersonreads) | 1 comments I'm rereading Cujo, by Stephen King - since you always need some King in your October.
I would also suggest (and I'm sure these are repeats in this thread): A Head Full of Ghost (Paul Tremblay), Bird Box (Josh Malerman), Mr. Splitfoot (Samantha Hunt), Slade House (David Mitchell), Hex (Thomas Olde Heuveltr) and my all time favorite, Crow Girl (Erik Axl Sund).

I just started Horrorstör (Grady Hendrix), and while I'm enjoying it, it seems more cute then scary. I much prefer My Best Friends Exorcism.

I definitely plan on going through the rest of the comments to add to my growing TBR.

message 21: by Victoria (new)

Victoria (vicki_c) | 10 comments I feel like I’m missing something because I am not a Shirley Jackson fan. I’ve tried, but I found her stories boring. But I know it’s me, not her.

message 22: by Vinny (new)

Vinny (billypar) | 6 comments Subashini, I only ever read The Lottery in high school as far as Shirley Jackson, but have neglected her for no good reason. We Have Always Lived in the Castle has been on my list for some time now- I was considering reading it for the buddy read, but didn't get it in time. I haven't heard much about the story, but the cover illustration always seems to be staring at me when I'm at bookstores, so one of these days I will give in and pick it up.

Victoria, I just got Mr. Splitfoot, so I think that's going to be my Halloween read this season- I just need to finish what I'm reading now first.

message 23: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (clevercactus) | 14 comments How is everyone doing with their horror reads? Anyone get bored and stop?

So far I have finished 4 horror books this October and am working on another. It's been entertaining!

BTW, the book I read last year that inspired me to do a
month of horror reads this year is on sale in ebook format- The Exorcist by Blatty is $1.99. If you haven't read it, you should add it to your TBR- it's a classic horror novel!!

I might have to keep reading this genre for a while even after Halloween draws to a close because I still need to read Slade House sometime :)

Happy Hauntings!

-R

message 24: by Victoria (last edited Oct 24, 2017 04:50AM) (new)

Victoria (vicki_c) | 10 comments I’m reading The Passage, which was recommended to me on Facebook by Stephen P. Kiernan in another similar thread. It’s pretty good, I’m about 1/2 way through. I’ve also been reading The Grip of It, which sucked me in but I’ve set it aside to focus on The Passage.

message 25: by Ryan (new)

Ryan (librarianryan) | 19 comments Mine have not been that great. Zom-B was not as creepy as I was expecting and much more about race. Crazy House wasn't that crazy, and Merciless , while yes horror, wasn't bad, but it also wasn't great.

Decided to just try a seasonal book so I am currently reading Seriously Wicked.

message 26: by Michael (new)

Michael || TheNeverendingTBR (theneverendingtbrpile) Yes, I definitely recommend The Passage trilogy!

They Thirst by Robert McCammon
and
The Reapers are the Angel's by Alden Bell
and
The Damnation Game by Clive Barker

All great ones!