Read by Theme discussion

What We're Reading > October 2017: Author Debuts

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amara, Group Creator (last edited Oct 01, 2017 05:14PM) (new)

Amara Tanith (aftanith) | 733 comments Our October poll has ended, and the winning theme for the month is books that are an Author's Debut!

If perhaps English is your second language or you're otherwise unfamiliar with the word, an author's debut is simply their first work; it's the book that introduces them to the readers of the world. For J.K. Rowling, this was Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone; for Stephen King, this was either "The Glass Floor" in Startling Mystery Stories (if you count his short fiction) or Carrie (if you're only counting novels). What's great about this theme is that every published author has a debut; if you've had an author in mind but didn't know which of their books to start with, this theme should help!

You're welcome to disregard short stories, novellas, and the like if you'd prefer to read an author's debut book rather than their debut story, essay, or article; if you'd like to interpret the theme even more loosely (such as choosing an author's debut in a particular genre or under a particular pseudonym), you are also welcome to do so.

To see a list of authors published their debut novel in 2017, Goodreads offers the following selection of relevant Listopia lists:

YA Debuts 2017
2017 Debut YA/MG Novels
Most anticipated adult fantasy debuts of 2017
2017 Debut Author Challenge (MG/YA/NA)
Middle Grade Debuts 2017
2017 Debut Fiction Authors
Debut Mystery Novels 2017

Remember that once you've finished your book(s) for the month, you're always welcome to start a discussion topic (which works best if there are others in the group who have read or are currently reading the book in question) or post your thoughts (or just drop a link to your review!) in the thread below.

To vote for our November 2017 theme, you can find our poll here. To vote for December 2017, the poll is here.

message 2: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 69 comments I'm reading Japantown, a thriller which is the first book of Barry Lancet. There are three others in the series. It's a well written suspenseful read.

message 3: by Sara (new)

Sara | 57 comments I have read The Girl from the Garden, and listening to Welcome to Braggsville now.
I am also in waiting list for Lincoln in the Bardo which is the author's first novel. I think after reading it, I will be set for this month's theme :D

message 4: by Anne (new)

Anne | 68 comments I'm reading The Miniaturist by Jessie Burton, really good so far, I like the period it is set in, reminds me of Girl with a Pearl Earring.

The Miniaturist by Jessie Burton

message 5: by Sara (new)

Sara | 57 comments I am reading The Leavers which is a debut novel, and I think I will have time to read Aria too for this month's theme.

message 6: by Silver (new)

Silver I was quite glad to find a book that meets both this theme for debut novel and my desire to read horror/dark novels for Halloween.

I started Bird Box

I don't know if I can finish it by the end of the month. I was on hold for ot from the library and it just became available.

So far it seems intersting and a compelling story.

message 7: by Tara (new)

Tara | 35 comments I'm reading Who Fears Death by Nnedi Okorafor. It's the author's first non-YA book and it's wonderful. If you like dystopian novels, I highly recommend this one. Okorafor is partnering with George R.R. Martin to develop the book into a series for HBO.

message 8: by Janet (last edited Oct 31, 2017 09:25AM) (new)

Janet (goodreadscomjanetj) | 101 comments I'm reading The Beach by Alex Garland. Have not got far into it yet but extravagant praise on the cover. Like Silver's choice it is also a dark novel.