Flights of Fantasy discussion

Archived Group Reads > October 2017: Sci-fi - Arabella of Mars

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments Mark all < spoiler> spoilers < /spoiler> or be sent on a one way trip to Mars.

Cheryl has hopes her life will calm down soonish (cherylllr) Picked it up today; looks cute.

message 3: by Sinistmer (new)

Sinistmer | 212 comments I finished this the other day; I thought the setting was creative, but I found myself dissatisfied with the story and characterization. One particular plot point that got me was (view spoiler). Curious to know what other people thought!

Cheryl has hopes her life will calm down soonish (cherylllr) It's on my pile, but something bonkers happened this month and I have over a dozen group reads!

Cheryl has hopes her life will calm down soonish (cherylllr) I am DNFing after the prologue. If I wanted to read another story about a daughter rebelling against being brought up as a proper English lady I would read historical fiction.

And what's up with air between the planets? And swamps on Venus? This is Science Fiction? Again, if I wanted to read outdated SF I'd read Verne.

Who voted for this and why aren't they chiming in?

Well, anyway, could someone just tell me what the reference in the blurb is about, to Newton and the bubble in his bath?

Thanks!

message 6: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (last edited Oct 19, 2017 11:04AM) (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments Cheryl wrote: "Who voted for this and why aren't they chiming in?"

Not me! Not even on the same continent as my cuppa.

Cheryl wrote: "could someone just tell me what the reference in the blurb is about, to Newton and the bubble in his bath?"

From Reviews:
What if Isaac Newton, instead of watching an apple fall from a tree and being inspired to develop a new theory of gravity, had observed a bubble rising from his bathtub and begun to meditate on space travel?

Cheryl has hopes her life will calm down soonish (cherylllr) Right, but what did he learn from that? That's the prompt for my question, not the answer to it. I mean, how does bath bubble ->figuring out that there's some sort of air in space->travel in space? It just doesn't make sense.

message 8: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments Cheryl wrote: "Right, but what did he learn from that? That's the prompt for my question, not the answer to it. I mean, how does bath bubble ->figuring out that there's some sort of air in space->travel in space?..."

See, that's a different question. And one I cannot answer except to assume the answer is plot holes.

message 9: by fenixphire (new)

fenixphire | 27 comments I still intend to give this a read before the month is out, if I can manage it. All I can say for now, though, is "Ever since Newton witnessed a bubble rising from his bathtub" just makes me think of Newton farting in the tub...which is not the most encouraging of first impressions.

message 10: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments Even scientific geniuses have to fart, ya know...

message 11: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments Klynn wrote: "I still intend to give this a read before the month is out, if I can manage it. All I can say for now, though, is "Ever since Newton witnessed a bubble rising from his bathtub" just makes me think ..."

lol

message 12: by Vicky (new)

Vicky Hunt (reason2believehim) Hi,
I joined the group this week and realize I am a bit late for the group read. But, since it's still on the front of the group page, and it looked interesting, I gave it a shot. It turns out I loved Arabella of Mars! I posted a review here and look forward to discovering more good books in group. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2....