Reading the Detectives discussion

Individual Challenges > The Story of Classic Crime in 100 Books

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christine PNW (last edited Oct 05, 2017 07:36AM) (new)

Christine PNW (moonlight_reader) | 36 comments I'm working through a "bingo" game using the chapter headings in Martin Edwards The Story of Classic Crime in 100 Books.

Each number refers to a chapter in The Story of Classic Crime in 100 Books. The images are a detail from the cover image of a book mentioned in the chapter, with the exception of Chapter 3. I couldn't resist an image of Hercule Poirot for a chapter called The Great Detectives!

1. A New Era Dawns: cover detail from The Hound of the Baskervilles by Arthur Conan Doyle
2. The Birth of the Golden Age:: cover detail from The Mystery of the Red House by A.A. Milne
3. The Great Detectives: Hercule Poirot as played by David Suchet
4. Play Up! Play Up! and Play the Game!: cover detail from The Hog's Back Mystery by Freeman Wills Croft
5. Miraculous Murders: cover detail from Miraculous Murders anthology, edited by Martin Edwards
6. Serpents in Eden: cover detail from Serpents in Eden anthology, edited by Martin Edwards
7. Murder at the Manor: cover detail from Murder at the Manor anthology, edited by Martin Edwards
8. Capital Crimes: cover detail from Capital Crimes anthology, edited by Martin Edwards
9. Resorting to Murder: cover detail from Resorting to Murder anthology, edited by Martin Edwards
10. Making Fun of Murder: cover detail from Ask A Policeman by The Detection Club
11. Education, Education, Education: cover detail from Death on the Cherwell by Mavis Doriel Hay
12. Playing Politics: cover detail from The End of Andrew Harrison by Freeman Wills Croft
13. Scientific Enquiries: cover detail from Death of an Airman by Christopher St. John Sprigg
14. The Long Arm of the Law: cover detail from The Long Arm of the Law anthology, edited by Martin Edwards
15. The Justice Game: cover detail from Verdict of Twelve by Raymond Postgate
16. Multiplying Murders: cover detail from The Z Murders by J. Jefferson Farjeon
17. The Psychology of Crime: cover detail from Payment Deferred by C.S. Forester
18. Inverted Mysteries: cover detail from Portrait of a Murderer by Anne Meredith
19. The Ironists: cover detail from Family Matters by Anthony Rolls
20. Fiction from Fact: cover detail from The Franchise Affair by Josephine Tey
21. Singletons: cover detail from Darkness at Pemberley by T.H. White
22. Across the Atlantic: cover detail from Strangers on a Train by Patricia Highsmith
23. Cosmopolitan Crimes: cover detail from Pietr the Latvian by Georges Simenon
24. The Way Ahead: cover detail from The Beast Must Die by Nicholas Blake

This is an open ended project - no deadlines! I'll probably read a lot of the British Library Crime Classics as part of it!

message 2: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 2792 comments Mod
What a great idea! And quite an attractive board. Do the books in each category come from the Edwards book?

message 3: by Christine PNW (new)

Christine PNW (moonlight_reader) | 36 comments Sandy wrote: "What a great idea! And quite an attractive board. Do the books in each category come from the Edwards book?"

Sandy, that's my plan!

message 4: by Judy (new)

Judy (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejudyg) | 8965 comments Mod
Love your board, Moonlight Reader, and what a fun idea! I know you said your TBR had exploded as a result of reading this - it will be great to see which books you choose to read and what you think of them.

message 5: by Lesley (new)

Lesley | 384 comments Wow, Moonlight Reader. What a great idea! Looking forward to following your progress and choices.

message 6: by Christine PNW (new)

Christine PNW (moonlight_reader) | 36 comments Thanks, everyone! I did have fun creating the card - I am generally in love with the covers that the publisher is putting on the British Library Crime Classics series, so I was able to crop out details from a number of them! For the other square, it was fun to check out all of the editions of a particular book and decide which details might make a good bingo square.

message 7: by Susan (new)

Susan | 10028 comments Mod
Great idea, Moonlight Reader :)

message 8: by Judy (new)

Have you decided what to start off with, Moonlight Reader?

message 9: by Christine PNW (last edited Oct 05, 2017 07:38AM) (new)

Christine PNW (moonlight_reader) | 36 comments

I decided to start with Chapter 8 - Capital Crimes (mysteries set in London), and have read:

Murder in Piccadilly by Charles Kingston, which I rated at 2.5 stars. I enjoyed about 85% of the book, but didn't like the ending, which dragged down the entire experience for me.

Murder in the Museum by John Rowland, which I rated at 3.5 stars. This one has mixed reviews, but I ended up really enjoying it. It's a bit madcap and silly, but enjoyable for me.

Lord Edgware Dies by Agatha Christie, which was the best of the three that I read, even though I would not rank it as a top Christie. One of the side-effects of reading "lost" golden age authors has been to highlight Christie's skill. I have yet to find a reissue that is even close to a middling Christie. This was a reread for me - I read all 40 of the Poirot mysteries back in 2015. I can reread Christie endlessly, though, because she is just that good.

my last planned read for this square is the Edwards edited anthology Capital Crimes: London Mysteries, which I plan to buy tomorrow (it's payday).

I won't necessarily read multiple books for each chapter, but I have a weakness for London mysteries, so it was easy to do here!

message 10: by Christine PNW (new)

Christine PNW (moonlight_reader) | 36 comments

Next up is Chapter 5 - Miraculous Murders

I am a huge fan of "locked room" style mysteries. Prior to starting the project, I read the BLCC anthology titled Miraculous Mysteries: Locked-Room Murders and Impossible Crimes, which was quite good. With the noteworthy exception of one total clunker, all of the stories were fairly enjoyable!

For this square, I am participating in a buddy read over on a different social media site, and we are going to be reading Murder of a Lady by Anthony Wynne. I am starting this one today!

message 11: by Judy (new)

Moonlight Reader wrote: "I decided to start with Chapter 8 - Capital Crimes (mysteries set in London), and have read..."

You've done a great job on filling that square, Moonlight Reader - the only one of your choices I've read so far is Capital Crimes, which I really liked.

The highlight for me was the early short story version of The Poisoned Chocolates Case by Anthony Berkeley, with a different solution from the one in the novel! I also liked the creepy non-Holmes Conan Doyle story.

message 12: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 314 comments Judy wrote: "The highlight for me was the early short story version of The Poisoned Chocolates Case by Anthony Berkeley, with a different solution from the one in the novel! I also liked the creepy non-Holmes Conan Doyle story. "

The Poisoned Chocolates Case is on Radio 4 Extra this weekend.

message 13: by Judy (new)

Thanks for mentioning the radio version of The Poisoned Chocolates Case, Ruth - I will hope to listen while doing some housework.

message 14: by Judy (last edited Oct 06, 2017 11:53PM) (new)

Moonlight Reader wrote: " One of the side-effects of reading "lost" golden age authors has been to highlight Christie's skill. I have yet to find a reissue that is even close to a middling Christie."

That's interesting to hear, Moonlight Reader - I will gratefully pinch this idea for a new thread, asking which "lost" GA authors are the best finds. I have found some that I like, but others have been a struggle.

I'm just reading one who I had seen compared to Sayers and, as you say about Christie, this author (Christopher Bush) is nowhere near the Sayers standard, although this is his first book to be fair.

message 15: by Susan (new)

Susan | 10028 comments Mod
I noticed Peter Drax has recently been re-published, Judy, although I haven't read him.

message 16: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 314 comments Judy wrote: "Thanks for mentioning the radio version of The Poisoned Chocolates Case, Ruth - I will hope to listen while doing some housework."

I've got a bit hooked on Radio 4 Extra lately as I've been listening first thing in the morning as an alternative to the rather depressing news stories on Radio 4. They do quite a few crime dramas.

message 17: by Roman Clodia (new)

Roman Clodia | 813 comments Ruth wrote: "The Poisoned Chocolates Case is on Radio 4 Extra this weekend."

I loved this - I thought I had it solved (the penultimate solution)... but then that final twist!

Thanks for the nudge, Ruth.

message 18: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 592 comments Roman Clodia wrote: "Ruth wrote: "The Poisoned Chocolates Case is on Radio 4 Extra this weekend."

I loved this - I thought I had it solved (the penultimate solution)... but then that final twist!

Thanks for the nudge..."

Ooh, thanks for the heads up Ruth!