Our Shared Shelf discussion

Intersectional Feminism > What we fight against

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by MeerderWörter (new)

MeerderWörter | 2388 comments I hope I never have to see this again... EVER!

https://www.salon.com/2017/09/28/ally...

https://www.advocate.com/transgender/...

Rest in power, brothers and sisters!

message 2: by Ross (new)

Ross | 1444 comments reminder of what we are fighting against

message 3: by Pam (new)

Pam | 1091 comments Mod
According to the HRC, 22 transgender murders were reported in all of 2016. Twenty one deaths in September means the number this year will probably surpass last year's count. The biggest number of murders are coming out of the trans women of color community.

That poor boy and his family. And to all those who follow

message 4: by Robert (new)

Robert Smart | 351 comments This whole story is very sad and enraging.
It is very upsetting to me to say the least that they refuse to use the "Hate Crime" terminology as if not to acknowledge that the crimes exist in that way in an attempt to possibly "hide" that there is a problem with hate or intolerance in their communities.

message 5: by Benarji (new)

Benarji Anand | 153 comments @Robert I could agree more. Well, it is either that or we live amongst psychopaths. No sane humans would stomach these actions. Definitely not in carrying out the act itself.

message 6: by MeerderWörter (new)

MeerderWörter | 2388 comments Keith wrote: "Robert wrote: "This whole story is very sad and enraging.
It is very upsetting to me to say the least that they refuse to use the "Hate Crime" terminology as if not to acknowledge that the crimes ..."

"Rest in power" is what they say in the trans community themselves.
Because you know, for me they are my siblings.

message 7: by MeerderWörter (new)

MeerderWörter | 2388 comments My dear sister!

I never met you in person or online, but now I so wish I would have. I am at a loss for words when I think about what they did to you. In my eyes, I cannot see it as anything but a hate-crime.
It's difficult enough to be confused, to question what for others is set in stone their whole life. I hope coming to realize and coming to terms with your being transgender was not as difficult as it can be.
You shine now with the stars up there!
I wish I could have got to know you for a different reason than the one I now had to.
It is so exhausting and so time-consuming to transition. Socially, physically and legally, it can be really difficult. I wish more people would understand this.
I will never understand the hate we face, and the prejudice. I am not transgender, but I will always be there for my siblings and try my best.

Rest in power, my sister!
#AllyLeeSteinfeld