Love Inspired Historicals discussion

Monthly Author Q&A > Q & A October 2017 Authors

Comments Showing 1-50 of 84 (84 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Louise (last edited Oct 01, 2017 05:36PM) (new)

Louise Gouge (louisemgouge) | 419 comments Louise M. Gouge here, welcoming you all to the October LIH Q & A. I hope you'll have some questions for our authors, Linda Ford, Danica Favorite, Whitney Bailey, and me! Just tell us what you want to know, and we'll do our best to satisfy your curiosity about our writing lives. So, who's first with a question?

message 2: by Louise (new)

Louise Gouge (louisemgouge) | 419 comments Okay, I made the discussion title a little easier to find. :-)

message 3: by Jolene (new)

Jolene | 30 comments Congratulations Louise on your milestone! Where do you find most of your inspirations for your wonderful stories?

message 4: by Melinda (new)

Melinda M (researcher707) | 2554 comments Louise, I always enjoy your stories. How do you come up with the backgrounds of your characters?

message 5: by Lyn (new)

Lyn (lyncote) | 1644 comments Mod
THANKS for getting this started for another month, Louise. Ladies, remind your friends that the LIH line may be ending but the LIH authors will still be going STRONG!

message 6: by Louise (last edited Oct 02, 2017 05:24AM) (new)

Louise Gouge (louisemgouge) | 419 comments Hi, Lyn. This was my first time, so I didn't realize I should schedule the other authors. Duh! Well, I'll take this first day.

Two things:
I'm in Florida, so I just got to my computer. I have one event today that will take me away for a few hours (taking my son for an MRI...he has brain cancer). Otherwise, I'll be here answering questions.

Second, I can't start this day pretending all is merry and bright. My heart is breaking for those who were shot in Las Vegas overnight. This is such a horrible tragedy. As one young man being interviewed said, This just has to stop! This is not America!

message 7: by Louise (new)

Louise Gouge (louisemgouge) | 419 comments Jolene wrote: "Congratulations Louise on your milestone! Where do you find most of your inspirations for your wonderful stories?"

Hi, Jolene. Thank you for your question. Ideas come from all sorts of places. My first novel, published in 1994, came from an idea I got while watching a man and boy tossing a football in a field outside my window. The story sort of blossomed in my head and became my first book.

Other stories come from places, such as my current release. I began this six-book series by setting it in a town where I used to live in Colorado. The town became a character in all six books.

At other times, pieces of conversation, people I meet, just about anything can become a story.

message 8: by Melinda (new)

Melinda M (researcher707) | 2554 comments This question is for Linda Ford.
Linda , do you name your series or do the publishers? I like the Big Sky Country Sky name. How did you come up with it?

message 9: by Louise (new)

Louise Gouge (louisemgouge) | 419 comments Melinda wrote: "Louise, I always enjoy your stories. How do you come up with the backgrounds of your characters?"

Hi, Melinda. As I told Jolene, just about anything...or anybody...can inspire a story. Once I decide on a place and character, or character first, then place, I have to build a background for each one. It's so much fun to create stories that people enjoy. Thank you!

message 10: by Louise (new)

Louise Gouge (louisemgouge) | 419 comments I guess since I'm taking this first day, I should introduce myself to those who don't know me. Here's my brief, formal bio, followed by the blurb for my brand new release.

Florida author Louise M. Gouge writes historical fiction romances. She received the prestigious Inspirational Readers’ Choice Award in 2005 and was a finalist in 2011, 2015, 2016, and 2017; and placed in the Laurel Wreath in 2012. https://Louisemgougeauthor.blogspot.com, https://www.facebook.com/LouiseMGouge...,
Twitter: @Louisemgouge

Sheriff Justice Gareau can make outlaws quake in their boots…yet coming face-to-face with Evangeline Benoit once again takes away all his composure. She broke their engagement, and his heart, to marry a wealthy older man. Despite his reluctance, Justice can't avoid the widowed single mother of two when they're collaborating on a Christmas village for the town's children.

The loving boy Evangeline once knew has become an unyielding lawman. Forced to flee New Orleans over false allegations, Evie doubts Justice will take her side when the past follows her to Colorado. Especially when he and her troublesome son butt heads. But perhaps the spirit of Christmas will soften his heart and give them a second chance at love.

Here's the Amazon link:
https://www.amazon.com/Cowboy-Lawmans...

message 11: by Becky (new)

Becky Smith | 679 comments Louise wrote: "I guess since I'm taking this first day, I should introduce myself to those who don't know me. Here's my brief, formal bio, followed by the blurb for my brand new release.

Florida author Louise M...."

I'm just wondering how you pick last names for your characters, like Gareau and Benoit? Do you just pick them for their uniqueness or do you know people with those names? I also want to say that I LOVED Cowboy Homecoming! I was so impressed with your writing!

message 12: by Becky (new)

Becky Smith | 679 comments Louise wrote: "I guess since I'm taking this first day, I should introduce myself to those who don't know me. Here's my brief, formal bio, followed by the blurb for my brand new release.

Florida author Louise M...."

I forgot to say congratulations on the prestigious Inspirational Readers’ Choice Award, and for being a finalist in FOUR years, and for placing in the Laurel Wreath. Those are well-deserved awards! Congratulations!!

message 13: by Louise (new)

Louise Gouge (louisemgouge) | 419 comments Becky wrote: "Louise wrote: "I guess since I'm taking this first day, I should introduce myself to those who don't know me. Here's my brief, formal bio, followed by the blurb for my brand new release.

Florida a..."

Becky, this is a great question about how I choose my characters' names. Once I decided my hero and heroine would come from New Orleans, I looked up last names of old Creole families who settled there in the 1700s. Two that stuck out were Gareau and Benoit. I've never known anyone by either name. Sure hope I didn't step on anyone's toes! LOL!

I'm so pleased that you enjoyed Cowboy Homecoming. I'd been building to that story through the first four books in the series so my one-time bad boy could have his happily ever after.

Thank you for the congrats on my IRCA and Laurel Wreath. I'm always humbled and grateful when people enjoy my stories.

message 14: by Louise (new)

Louise Gouge (louisemgouge) | 419 comments I have a big favor to ask those of you who have read my books. I have only two reviews on my amazon page for Cowboy Lawman's Christmas Reunion. One is very nice, but the other is terrible. I understand that not everyone will like my work, but this person totally misses the theme of redemption throughout this book. I know personally that Jesus Christ can save and change a person, and that is what I try to show in all of my stories.

If you feel so led, would you please mark this review unhelpful or perhaps even post a positive review? I would appreciate it so much. Here's the link: https://is.gd/ZVgs6N

message 15: by Brittany (new)

Brittany | 220 comments Louise wrote: "I have a big favor to ask those of you who have read my books. I have only two reviews on my amazon page for Cowboy Lawman's Christmas Reunion. One is very nice, but the other is terrible. I unders..."

Hi Louise, I've read your books in the past and enjoyed them. I haven't read this one yet, but I did go and mark the two reviews as helpful for the good one and not helpful for the bad one. It was a pretty vindictive review. I guess is wasn't enough for that reviewer to just say, "Didn't appeal to me, maybe others will like it."

I've missed the last few author chats, but am happy to be joining in again.

My question is, "I know that you write in different periods/places. I've read a some of your regencies. Do you have a favorite setting/place for your stories? Do you enjoy one setting more than the others?"

message 16: by Louise (new)

Louise Gouge (louisemgouge) | 419 comments Hi, Brittany. Thank you so much for your help. I'm so glad you've enjoyed my books. That means the world to me. My hope is that people will be blessed by my stories.

To answer your question, no, I don't have a favorite place to set my stories. I love the Old West and Old England. Obviously, I prefer to write and read historical romance, but I do enjoy some contemporary books. My imagination seems to go in all sorts of directions. LOL!

message 17: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 558 comments Hi, Louise! I marked that terrible review as "not helpful"
I also picked up a Kindle copy of "Cowgirl Under the Mistletoe" it's on sale for $1.49!

I'm going to ask an obvious question. Do you know what you are going to do after LIH? Also, is this your last book for LIH?

message 18: by Valri (new)

Valri Western | 964 comments Louise, I also marked the review "not helpful"!!! That reviewer was just mean spirited in my opinion! the person just doesn't know the the changes that can happen through Jesus Christ!

message 19: by Jo (new)

Jo (northpolejo) | 1 comments I have a question about research. Because I live in Alaska, it's fun to read stories set here. But many of them are horribly inaccurate. You'd swear they never even talked to anyone here or cracked a travel guide. So, authors, do you do any research for your books?

message 20: by Dorothy (new)

Dorothy Clark | 1393 comments Hi Louise! Your book sounds interesting. I like books with children in them. It sounds as if the children play an important part in your book. How old are the children in the book?

message 21: by Becky (new)

Becky Smith | 679 comments Louise wrote: "I have a big favor to ask those of you who have read my books. I have only two reviews on my amazon page for Cowboy Lawman's Christmas Reunion. One is very nice, but the other is terrible. I unders..."
I marked it as unhelpful, because it really isn't helpful! Not sure why they even bothered to read it or if they DID actually read it. I hope to read it soon.

message 22: by Dorothy (new)

Dorothy Clark | 1393 comments Hi to all! I wanted to write and let you know that I will not be here at the end of the week. Also, I haven't heard from any of the authors about book giveaways so perhaps they are planning on doing their own giveaways. If I am to do them, they will have to wait until next week. We are leaving Thursday to visit our granddaughter, her husband and our little great granddaughter in SC.

message 23: by Dorothy (new)

Dorothy Clark | 1393 comments Hi Jo! You said "authors" so I'm going to hop in here and answer your question about research.

Yes! Yes! YES! I research everything for my books! Not only settings, but character names, words and phrases to make certain they are appropriate to the era, anything connected to my characters employment, their homes and furnishings, etc. I check it all! And it bothers me when someone posts a review that says I have not done my research. For instance...I call refrigerators by that term in the 1800s because that is the correct term! But some reviewers have chastised me for that. They say it should be icebox. NO! They were not called iceboxes until electric refrigerators were invented. Then the term icebox was used to designate the difference. So...I still call them refrigerators because it's the right name, even though I know people will think I am wrong.

I wrote a book titled "Gold Rush Baby" (the last book of a continuity) and it took a lot of research!

I love to research for books because I learn so much! Thanks for the question.

message 24: by Louise (new)

Louise Gouge (louisemgouge) | 419 comments Thank you to everyone who marked that review as not helpful. I really appreciate you!

I'm back at my desk, so I'm happy to answer any questions.

Yes, Dorothy, I'd like to give away a copy of Cowboy Lawman's Christmas Reunion.

Andrea, although this is my last LIH, I plan to keep on writing. I have many stories yet to tell!

message 25: by Melinda (new)

Melinda M (researcher707) | 2554 comments Louise,
Do you plan out your stories when you are writing a series? DO you know what your next book will be about. I also marked the bad review as unhelpful. It sounds like they have a problem with children who have not been disciplined but the review in not helpful and I am not sure that they read your book.
I will add them as well as your son to my prayer list.

I know from experience that when one person is sick in the family it affects everyone.

How did the hurricane damage your area of Florida?

message 26: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4955 comments Hi Louise I agree its a very sad day in America.

I know you have written a variety of books which are your favourite to write.
Oh and I do like a sheriff

message 27: by Louise (new)

Louise Gouge (louisemgouge) | 419 comments Melinda wrote: "Louise,
Do you plan out your stories when you are writing a series? DO you know what your next book will be about. I also marked the bad review as unhelpful. It sounds like they have a problem wit..."

Hi, Melinda. Yes, I do plan my series so I can put secondary characters into the first story, then give them their own book. In this series, I had five stories planned, but then along came Justice Gareau in Book Four, and I knew he needed his own book. I mean, tall, blond, handsome former Texas Ranger who doesn't let the bad guys get away with anything. What's not to like? LOL!

Thanks for marking that review as unhelpful. I'm not seeing the marks show up, so I'm not sure what amazon is doing. But all we can do is try. I appreciate you!

Thank you for your prayers for my son. He's married to a lovely lady and has a grown daughter, but they had work and college and needed me to drive him to the MRI. Driving through Orlando is always crazy, and I was worn out by the time I got him home.

We got through Hurricane Irma with only a downed back fence and some pool screens blown off. No flooding at all. With all that's going on in the world, we don't have a single complaint.

message 28: by Louise (new)

Louise Gouge (louisemgouge) | 419 comments Ausjenny wrote: "Hi Louise I agree its a very sad day in America.

I know you have written a variety of books which are your favourite to write.
Oh and I do like a sheriff"

Hi, Ausjenny. I hope you're well. So glad you like the sheriff.

I really don't have a favorite kind of book. My stories are more character driven, so whether they take place in England or Colorado or Boston, I always fall in love with my characters.

message 29: by Louise (new)

Louise Gouge (louisemgouge) | 419 comments Ladies, You're always so faithful to show up and support us here on Goodreads.

Linda Ford sends her regrets because she won't be able to join us. I hope you'll read her book anyway. :-)

Danica Favorite is attending a conference, and I haven't been able to get in touch with Whitney Bailey. I think this is Whitney's first book for LIH, so I wish I could find her!

message 30: by Louise (new)

Louise Gouge (louisemgouge) | 419 comments It's getting close to bedtime in Florida, and I promised to play Yahtzee with my granddaughter. I hope we can have more conversation tomorrow. In the meantime, don't hesitate to post your questions or comments.

God keep you safe!

message 31: by Brenda- (new)

Brenda- (brenda-w) | 86 comments Louise wrote: "I guess since I'm taking this first day, I should introduce myself to those who don't know me. Here's my brief, formal bio, followed by the blurb for my brand new release.

This should be interesting people from Louisiana in the Colorado Mountains. I'm wondering what past follows her to Colorado.

message 32: by Louise (new)

Louise Gouge (louisemgouge) | 419 comments Hi, Brenda. I hope you'll read my story to find out. And I hope you'll have as much fun reading the book as I did writing it. :-)

Good morning, everyone. I'm happy to continue our conversation today. Since the other authors of our LIH October books aren't available, we can discuss other things.

message 33: by Melinda (last edited Oct 03, 2017 05:20AM) (new)

Melinda M (researcher707) | 2554 comments Dorothy wrote: "Hi to all! I wanted to write and let you know that I will not be here at the end of the week. Also, I haven't heard from any of the authors about book giveaways so perhaps they are planning on doin..."

Dorothy,
Have a wonderful trip. Enjoy your granddaughter!

message 34: by Melinda (new)

Have you decided where you are going with your books since this is your last Love Inspired Historical? To keep up with you should we just follow your website?

message 35: by Louise (new)

Louise Gouge (louisemgouge) | 419 comments Yes, that would be best. I'm sending out a newsletter in a few days, so if you're not signed up for it, you can go to https://Louisemgouge.blogspot.com and enter your email address on the right side of the page.

I have several projects in mind. One is to revise my first two novels, both contemporaries long out of print, and bring them into the computer age. Then I'd like to write several more books in my "Then Came" series. It's a post-Civil War series that's been doing pretty well on amazon. My list of books is at https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no... and the titles are Then Came Faith, Then Came Hope, and Then Came Love. One of my secondary characters in the third book asked for her own book, so I may write Then Came Courage. We'll see.

Thank you for asking!

message 36: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 558 comments Good morning Louise!
What is the most interesting thing you've learned in research for your books? Have you been surprised by anything?

message 37: by Melinda (new)

Melinda M (researcher707) | 2554 comments Louise wrote: "Yes, that would be best. I'm sending out a newsletter in a few days, so if you're not signed up for it, you can go to https://Louisemgouge.blogspot.com and enter your email address on the right sid..."

That sounds interesting. I will have to look into your books on Amazon.

message 38: by Louise (new)

Louise Gouge (louisemgouge) | 419 comments Andrea, that's hard to say because I've learned so much from my research. Way more than I can use in my books! And I'm frequently surprised by the way people used to live.

However, I think I learned more new "stuff" when I was writing Ahab's Bride. It was my master's thesis and later was published by Crossway Books, along with two sequels. I had to learn about the whaling industry of Nantucket and New Bedford and what the women did while their husbands were away for years at a time. I even visited those two places for my research. What fun that was!

message 39: by Becky (new)

Becky Smith | 679 comments Louise wrote: "Andrea, that's hard to say because I've learned so much from my research. Way more than I can use in my books! And I'm frequently surprised by the way people used to live.

However, I think I learn..."

That sounds like fun research! I loved seeing you on the blogs today! Do you get to pick your book covers, or is that done for you by the publisher? I can't remember if you've answered this before, but I really enjoy this latest book cover!

message 40: by Brenda- (new)

Brenda- (brenda-w) | 86 comments Louise wrote: "Yes, that would be best. I'm sending out a newsletter in a few days, so if you're not signed up for it, you can go to https://Louisemgouge.blogspot.com and enter your email address on the right sid..."

The blogspot won't let me sign in with my gmail addy I use here.

message 41: by Louise (new)

Louise Gouge (louisemgouge) | 419 comments Becky, for LIH covers, we filled out a form that described our characters and several scenes to capture the themes of the book. But they have an experienced marketing department that designed the covers, a different skill set from writing the book, so it's best to leave it to the experts. We are given one look at the cover to be sure everything's right before it's set in stone. I know some publishers let their authors approve and change details, but they don't put out the volume of books Love Inspired does. With sixteen books a month from the three lines, they don't have time for fussy authors. LOL! That doesn't mean I don't wish a few of my covers weren't a little different, but hey, I love being published by LIH, so I can deal with it.

That's a great question. I'm so glad to be able to share my thoughts about it.

message 42: by Louise (new)

Louise Gouge (louisemgouge) | 419 comments Brenda- wrote: "Louise wrote: "Yes, that would be best. I'm sending out a newsletter in a few days, so if you're not signed up for it, you can go to https://Louisemgouge.blogspot.com and enter your email address o..."

Oh, dear! Okay, please send me your email to Louisemgouge@aol.com with the subject line Newsletter, and I'll take care of it.

message 43: by Melinda (new)

I had the same problem as Brenda so I sent you an e-mail as well.

message 44: by Melinda (new)

Melinda M (researcher707) | 2554 comments Louisa,
What do you do if you are not writing or researching?

message 45: by Louise (new)

Louise Gouge (louisemgouge) | 419 comments Okay, I guess it's time to have my son the computer expert fix this for me. LOL!

Thanks!

message 46: by Louise (new)

Louise Gouge (louisemgouge) | 419 comments Melinda, My husband and I are helping to raise two of our grandchildren. Our daughter was widowed eleven years ago, and she and the kids moved in with us so she could homeschool them without having to go back to work. We get to go to their plays and other activities, and we also help with some of their teaching. It's such a joy to have them here.

message 47: by Melinda (new)

Melinda M (researcher707) | 2554 comments Louise wrote: "Melinda, My husband and I are helping to raise two of our grandchildren. Our daughter was widowed eleven years ago, and she and the kids moved in with us so she could homeschool them without having..."

That would certainly keep you busy. How old are your grand children that live with you?

message 48: by Lyn (new)

Lyn (lyncote) | 1644 comments Mod
I'm sorry to hear that your daughter was widowed, Louise.

message 49: by Louise (new)

Louise Gouge (louisemgouge) | 419 comments Melinda wrote: "Louise wrote: "Melinda, My husband and I are helping to raise two of our grandchildren. Our daughter was widowed eleven years ago, and she and the kids moved in with us so she could homeschool them..."

Melinda, Forest, 17, graduated from homeschool co-op high school, is a college student, and is working on completing his Eagle Scout rank. Dear hubby became a Scout leader four years ago to help guide him through. Savannah is 11 and is in 4-H. She raises bunnies and rides horses with her mom.

message 50: by Louise (new)

Louise Gouge (louisemgouge) | 419 comments Lyn wrote: "I'm sorry to hear that your daughter was widowed, Louise."

Thank you, Lyn. Her husband was a wonderful man, and we still miss him.

« previous 1