Reading 1001 discussion

Archives > October - 1 through 35

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristel (last edited Oct 01, 2017 12:02PM) (new)

Kristel (kristelh) | 3875 comments Mod
October will cover chapters 1 through 35.
First week, Introduction to chaper 4
2nd week, chapter 5 through 14
3rd week, chapter 15 through 24
4th week, chapter 25 to 35.

Questions:
1. Dicken's novels are known for their social criticism. In the first chapters, what social criticism will be the major theme?

2. What role does the weather play?

message 2: by Melissa (new)

Melissa 1. I'm just starting..... and so far lots of criticism of the current justice system of time, the waste of time and resources with no end in sight. While the people in the case grow old and die with no decision, passing on their claims, the lawyers and judges make out pretty well though as a profession.

message 3: by Kristel (new)

I am a bit behind too, as we are already on the 3rd week of October and I am only in the second week.

Question, 1. Is it in any way a disadvantage that various chapters of Bleak House are narrated by Esther Summerson?

Question, 2. Which characters are you liking so far? Is the character a major or minor character?

message 4: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Kristel wrote: "I am a bit behind too, as we are already on the 3rd week of October and I am only in the second week.

Question, 1. Is it in any way a disadvantage that various chapters of Bleak House are narrate..."

You are right on track.... It's only the 2nd week of Oct.

And I finished week one's readings last night so I'll be moving on the week two's section as soon as I finish my book due back at the library (hopefully today or tomorrow).

message 5: by Kristel (new)

Oh wow, how did I skip a whole week in my mind?

message 6: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Wishing the Fall away maybe? Couldn’t wait to read further in the book? 😉

message 7: by Melissa (new)

Melissa If it makes you feel any better, I read your post at first and thought, What! I’m further behind than I thought! So I totally believed it too.

message 8: by Kristel (new)

I’ve finished week 2 so far. Not my favorite Dickens so far. Characters; Esther seems to be more prominent a character, Ada, Richard, and many other characters but Lady Deadlock, not so much. She is pretty one dimensional at this point; cold and bored.

message 9: by Kristel (new)

Melissa wrote: "Wishing the Fall away maybe? Couldn’t wait to read further in the book? 😉" More like, I am always behind in these buddyreads as I have two many books in the fire.

message 10: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Kristel wrote: "Melissa wrote: "Wishing the Fall away maybe? Couldn’t wait to read further in the book? 😉" More like, I am always behind in these buddyreads as I have two many books in the fire."

I definitely ‘over booked’ myself this month with buddy reads, but I’m chugging along with the week 2 section. I remember watching the BBC version of this year’s ago and some parts are starting to come back to me, but not enough to say if I’m sure I remember correctly or not. When we finish this in December, I’ll need to rent it somewhere and rewatch it.

Esther seems prominent to me too, so far....and she’s somehow related closer than we know. Why did the lawyer come to see her and her grandmother when she was a child, only for her to be the companion to someone in the case. She has to be tied to the case herself somehow or he wouldn’t have been checking up on her then, and if so, why the hiding of that now? There is definitely more to that story.

And why in the first section did Lady Deadlock get pale and ill when she saw something in the lawyers papers. She asked who wrote that and then got upset....did she reconnize some handwriting or something that upset her?

And the weird guy in the shop that collects everything....he can’t read or write, but he spelled out letters for Esther to see what they meant....Bleak House and the case name....which means he’s seen them somewhere in his collection of items, but didn’t know what they meant until he spelled them out for her to tell him what they said?

Well continuing on...I have some catching up to do and I’m sure it will all become clear eventually.

message 11: by Pip (new)

Pip | 1322 comments My version has a Preface. Is that the same as your Introduction, Kristel? The social criticism may involve other issues but the obvious one here is the legal system, its corruption and inefficiency. The description of London as dark, bleak and filthy (it was because all those coal fires produced a dreadful fog) is a symbol of the state of the legal system too.

message 12: by Kristel (new)

Pip wrote: "My version has a Preface. Is that the same as your Introduction, Kristel? The social criticism may involve other issues but the obvious one here is the legal system, its corruption and inefficiency..."
No, I don’t think the preface would be the same. I didn’t read my introduction much, I still need to do it. Usually introductions are written by another author. Who wrote the preface?

I totally agree that the fog and legal system are symbolically connected.

message 13: by Kristel (new)

Questions for Chapters 1-5;
1. Who was the only person Esther could talk to as a child?

2. How old is Esther when her godmother dies?

3. How long is Esther at Greenleaf?

4. What is the first impressions of the Jellybys? What does Esther do when she arrives at the Jellybys?

5. What is your impression of Caddy?

message 14: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Questions for Chapters 1-5;
1. Who was the only person Esther could talk to as a child?
Her Doll

2. How old is Esther when her godmother dies?
13 (I had the go back and look, for some reason I was thinking 11, but nope 13)

3. How long is Esther at Greenleaf?

4. What is the first impressions of the Jellybys? What does Esther do when she arrives at the Jellybys?
A chaotic mess, father rarely home and mother too busy with her philanthropy work to take care of her own family. Esther makes the children comfortable and starts caring for them, especially Caddy and little Peppy.

5. What is your impression of Caddy?
In this early section, overworked and neglected in equal measures.

message 15: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Barringer (Ravenmount) (ravenmount) | 436 comments 1. Who was the only person Esther could talk to as a child?- her doll, Dolly. I am still not sure why she decided to bury it. That was one of the details that made me less sympathetic with Esther- she's too quick to dismiss people, I guess.

2. How old is Esther when her godmother dies? - 13, so middle-school aged.

3. How long is Esther at Greenleaf? - about a week.

4. What is the first impressions of the Jellybys? What does Esther do when she arrives at the Jellybys? The Jellybys remind me of the scene in Alice in Wonderland with the screaming baby that turns into a pig. The housekeeping is a joke, Mrs. Jellyby has no clue what is going on in her own house, and doesn't care, and when Esther steps in to help out, her help is resented as if the chaos and filth is the way things ought to be.

5. What is your impression of Caddy? - She's aware of how dysfunctional her family is, and wants out, at any cost. She makes a show of caring about others, but I get the impression that she will do what it takes to leave her family behind and start a 'better' life, no matter who gets hurt in the process. She's not evil, or careless, just determined and jaded by her experience of life so far.

message 16: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Do we have the breakdowns for week 5 yet?

message 17: by Kristel (new)

I will do that today. I feel like we are ahead of schedule. But plan to questions posted for last week and then start November tonight. So soon.

message 18: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Ok...Thank you. I’m just trying to plan out my reading plan for the week. And how many other read alongs I can join this month, LOL

message 19: by Kristel (new)

Yes, I saw your schedule over on Litsy and it is time to get November spelled out. I am thinking I am way overextended but it is just so much fun.

message 20: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Yes it is, and the more I read with groups the better motivated I seem to be to keep on track.

message 21: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Barringer (Ravenmount) (ravenmount) | 436 comments OMG. I had to reread the last 3 chapters of this section because they got so tedious the first time through. But, I am finally on to the chapters for November. I thought I liked Dickens, but this one is most definitely not a favorite so far.

message 22: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1608 comments Mod
Jamie wrote: "1. The Jellybys remind me of the scene in Alice in Wonderland with the screaming baby that turns into a pig. The housekeeping is a joke, Mrs. Jellyby has no clue what is going on in her own house, and doesn't care, and when Esther steps in to help out, her help is resented as if the chaos and filth is the way things ought to be.

ha ha, yes! That's a good comparison.

message 23: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1608 comments Mod
I'm on chapter 8 and have to admit that the first few chapters really dragged for me. Dickens is known for copious amounts of details but the detail of the court was pretty dull for m.

So far lots of criticism of the court system and society types who engage in a certain type of charity work.