The Sword and Laser discussion

Science Fiction Horror Stories?

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Rachel (TheShadesofOrange) (theshadesoforange) Since it's the month of October, I was looking for recommendations of some science fiction books with horror elements. These are two of my favorite genres and I love seeing them come together! I just read the Tor.com novella, The Ghost Line by Andrew Neil Gray & JS Herbison, which is basically a haunted house story set on a spaceship.
Any suggestions for more creepy SFF?

message 2: by Brian (new)

Brian Webb (brianqwebb) | 45 comments Lovecraft has a few SciFi horror shorts, like Cool Air. Many people forget that SciFi was a big part of his work.

(and to be selfish, my SciFi book, _Shift, has horror... atmospheric and occasionally gruesome... elements to it... and is 99c on Kindle until Saturday 😉)

But definitely look into some of HP Lovecraft's shorts.

message 3: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 4138 comments Brian wrote: "Lovecraft has a few SciFi horror shorts, like Cool Air. "

Haaaah, I read that yesterday, for a project I'm working on. It's a pretty good story.

message 4: by Lena (new)

Lena Seventh - short sci-fi horror story.

message 5: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8768 comments Well, one obvious contender is the granddaddy of the entire genre, Mary Shelley's Frankenstein.

I would also add The Island of Dr. Moreau by H.G. Wells and I Am Legend by Richard Matheson.

A.E. van Vogt's The Voyage of the Space Beagle is pretty much Alien, written 40 years earlier.

Now that I think on it, lots of classic SF also edges into horror: The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, The Day of the Triffids, The Midwich Cuckoos, etc.

message 6: by Brian (new)

Brian Webb (brianqwebb) | 45 comments John (Taloni) wrote: Haaaah, I read that yesterday, for a project I'm working on. It's a pretty good story."

I often get my English tutor kids to read that one and From Beyond. Both are approachable.

message 7: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 4138 comments ^Just read it. Good one! Only 3K words so very accessible.

I enjoyed the heck out of The Colour Out of Space, but that requires a good deal more concentration. For tutoring English, Cool Air or From Beyond are about the right length.

What's funny to me is how Lovecraft seems inspired by Poe and inspired both King (Pet Cemetary comes to mind) and the degenerate dimensions of Pratchett's Discworld. One leads inexorably to the other.

message 8: by Louise (new)

Louise (lowies) | 47 comments Adam Christopher has a scifi-series, Spider wars, that definitely has horror elements. The first book is The Burning Dark.
There is also a novella, Cold War, on tor.com set in the same universe.

message 9: by Brian (new)

Brian Webb (brianqwebb) | 45 comments @John he's been extremely influential, but has only become popular among non-authors recently. There was a time when I was younger in which, I swear, every horror or weird science book I cracked started with a "quote" from the Necronomicon.

Lovecraft is to horror like the Pixies are to rock. Underappreciated by the masses but hugely influential to those that were appreciated by the masses.

message 10: by Silvana (last edited Oct 02, 2017 01:05AM) (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1661 comments The Passage by Justin Cronin
The Strain by Guillermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan
Blindsight by Peter Watts
Sandkings by George RR. Martin (a personal favorite) Sandkings by George R.R. Martin

message 11: by Kardo (new)

Kardo (bosskardo) | 48 comments Silvana wrote: "The Passage by Justin Cronin
Sandkings by George RR. Martin (a personal favorite) Sandkings by George R.R. Martin"

I second The Passage, it's great.

The Strain had a TV series too, right?

Sandkings looks like something I need to read. Thanks for that.

message 12: by Louie (new)

Louie (rmutt1914) | 885 comments Kardo wrote: "The Strain had a TV series too, right?"

Yes. But, I could only recommend watching Season 1. It goes down hill from there. By the end, which was just last month, I was hate watching it. And the third book actually infuriated me, ruining the whole trilogy for me, and the show, just by association.

message 13: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new)

Tassie Dave | 3635 comments Mod
Louie wrote: "Kardo wrote: "The Strain had a TV series too, right?"

Yes. But, I could only recommend watching Season 1. It goes down hill from there."

It was terrible. I saw out season 1, but only to see if it picked up. It didn't.

message 14: by Brian (new)

Brian Webb (brianqwebb) | 45 comments Silvana wrote: "
"

Seconded. This was supposed to be del Toro's vampire movie, but it never got off the ground. Great take on the "vampire" idea.

message 15: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8768 comments I thought Cronos was del Toro's vampire movie. It was also not good.

message 16: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1661 comments The Strain trilogy's first book is the best of the three. The second was alright, the third was meh due to expander mythology. The audio version is recommended. Pretty scary. The narrator for the first one is Ron Perlman.

message 17: by Mark (new)

Mark (markmtz) | 2525 comments Silvana wrote: "Sandkings by George RR. Martin (a personal favorite) Sandkings by George R.R. Martin"

Sandkings was also adapted for tv as the first episode of the 1990s edition of The Outer Limits

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0667945/

message 18: by William (last edited Oct 07, 2017 01:06PM) (new)

William | 429 comments These books utterly creeped me out:

Chocky by John Wyndham Blindsight (Firefall, #1) by Peter Watts Psychlone by Greg Bear Embassytown by China Miéville

Chocky by John Wyndham
Psychlone by Greg Bear
Embassytown by China Miéville

H.P. Lovecraft has already been mentioned. If you want to find some serious nightmare material, my personal suggestion is The Dreams in the Witch House.

message 19: by Kardo (new)

Kardo (bosskardo) | 48 comments William wrote: "These books utterly creeped me out:

Chocky by John Wyndham Blindsight (Firefall, #1) by Peter Watts Psychlone by Greg Bear Embassytown by China Miéville

these look interesting. I'd like to check them ou. Which do you recommend to start with?

message 20: by William (new)

William | 429 comments Kardo wrote: "William wrote: "These books utterly creeped me out:

these look interesting. I'd like to check them ou. Which do you recommend to start with?"

They are all very different. Chocky is short and easy to get into. The creepiness comes from the intrusion of uncertainty and fantastic elements into the very comfortable mundane setting.

Blindsight seems to be a love-it-or-hate-it thing. I thought it was excellent, medium length and manages to scare the pants off you using ingenious takes on scientific facts. So to me it was good Hard(ish) SF horror. Many seem to find it boring though.

Embassytown is brilliantly written imho and based in a fascinating space opera setting (though the narrative is planet-bound) and is on the longer side - that said I was so sucked into the setting I didn't want it to end. The horror creeps and builds and leaves you questioning everything. I suppose this is the one I would recommend as the best read.

It's Psychlone that really disturbed me though - to the extent of just trying not to think about it even years later, and pretty much wishing I'd never read it. In that sense it is far too good. Read at your peril.

message 21: by Kardo (new)

Kardo (bosskardo) | 48 comments I was thinking Blindsight first, myself. But maybe I'll start with Embassytown, reminds me of Ancillary Sword a bit.

message 22: by Robert (new)

Robert Lee (harlock415) | 264 comments Off the top of my head, The Stand by Stephen King, even though it has its supernatural elements, the premise and results are based on science fiction tropes.

And you gotta love the Golden Retriever from is Dean R. Koontz's Watchers

Robert R. McCammon's Stinger was a fun novel too.

message 23: by Michele (new)

Michele | 9 comments Completely agree with Blindsight and would add in Never Let Me Go. Two of the creepiest books ever.

Also for creepiness:
In the Courts of the Sun - extremely underrated and unknown
The Night's Dawn Trilogy
Dawn
Annihilation

message 25: by Ryan (new)

Ryan (datarez) | 8 comments I really like the monsters part of fantasy so I think the Witcher series works. The first short story book The Last Wish may be the best fit.

message 26: by Joseph (new)

Joseph | 2307 comments I wonder if Brian Lumley's Necroscope books might also fit the bill ... They're Cold War-era vampire/espionage/thriller books and, IIRC, the vampires are actually invaders from another dimension or something like that.

Rachel (TheShadesofOrange) (theshadesoforange) Wow - thank you! I'm blown away by the number of recommendations!
I'm still combing through these books, but I already added a few to my list...
Annihilation (especially with that trailer)
Blindsight
& Seventh

message 28: by William (new)

William | 429 comments Rachel (TheShadesofOrange) wrote: "Wow - thank you! I'm blown away by the number of recommendations!
I'm still combing through these books, but I already added a few to my list...
Annihilation (especially with that trailer)
Blindsight..."

From Peter Watts, author of Blindsight, here is a brilliant (Hard Science Fictional) lecture about uncovering the science behind vampires. The scary part is that the banality of the lecture is all too believable. If you are looking for some SF scariness this October, I really recommend giving this a go:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WdCv...

message 29: by Daryl (new)

Daryl | 92 comments Trike wrote: "I thought Cronos was del Toro's vampire movie. It was also not good."

So wrong. :)

message 30: by Rik (new)

Rik | 777 comments Leviathan Wakes by James S.A. Corey has horror elements in it. It sort of feels like Dead Space (the video game which was very horror themed) at times. Followup books are more traditional sci fi though.