World, Writing, Wealth discussion

All Things Writing & Publishing > Article: Go Local: Marketing Books to Targeted Communities

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alex (last edited Oct 01, 2017 10:57AM) (new)

Alex (asato) Start small and build up or just go for the book promo sites? Or both? Is "word of mouth" or virality really the ticket? I like the first one in the bullet list: "Who will be the easiest group to convince to read or buy this book?" Could it be an online community? Thoughts?
The novelist Ani Tuzman, author of The Tremble of Love, is doing a series of nationwide events at synagogues and Jewish cultural centers to bring attention to her book, which is inspired by the life of a historical Jewish mystic. The fantasy indie author Jay Swanson devotes much of his promotional energy to fan conventions; the science fiction indie author John Sundman has focused on the tech community for many years (which once earned him a coveted mention at the tech blog Slashdot).

It may feel boring or like you’re not setting your sights high enough if you start local or with the community of people who are likely to be most interested. But why not win over the “easy” people first? They can help you generate word of mouth and build up publicity that leads to greater and more national attention.

(Emphasis mine.
https://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/b...)

message 2: by Marie Silk (new)

Marie Silk | 1022 comments I think in this day and age, virality is everything. You can try to make a name on the local level, but it will most likely result in spending a lot of time and money without seeing much ROI. The lady in the second comment under that article has a good point- the methods talked about here are time and labor intensive without much return. Not to mention venue expense.