RMFAO (Reading My Frigging A** Off) discussion

RMFAO 2017 Genre Challenge > October - Horror

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dagny (new)

Dagny (madamevauquer) | 3276 comments Mod
It's October - time for all things HORROR, right up to and including Halloween.
Definition from the GoodReads page:
Horror fiction is fiction in any medium intended to scare, unsettle, or horrify the audience. Historically, the cause of the "horror" experience has often been the intrusion of a supernatural element into everyday human experience. Since the 1960s, any work of fiction with a morbid, gruesome, surreal, or exceptionally suspenseful or frightening theme has come to be called "horror". Horror fiction often overlaps science fiction or fantasy, all three of which categories are sometimes placed under the umbrella classification speculative fiction.

Heena's usual blurb:

There are absolutely no limits so you can interpret this genre in its broader sense and include other similar genres and/or subgenres that you feel might have a wee bit of similarity with the main genre. You can also include books that are not particularly centered around the main genre but has its components or elements somewhere in the story.

The main intent of this challenge is to incorporate different kinds of books and genres in our normal reading routine to make the experience more fun and entertaining. Please do not lose yourself in the technicalities as we all know how literary genres can be confusing. If you have any doubts or questions, then post them below and we'll be happy to answer/discuss them.

Here's a quick summary of the levels:

Level 1: Casual Reader: 1 book (easy)
Level 2: Frequent Reader: 2 books (moderate)
Level 3: Bookworm: 3 books (mildly strenuous)
Level 4: Bibliophile: 4 books (strenuous)
Level 5: Bookiopath: 5 books or more (challenging)

Please mention what type of books you'd be reading:

PB: Paperbacks
EB: E-Books
AB: Audio Books

Please feel free to announce your to-read books along with the level you are targeting for below.

PLEASE READ (for new members):
1. You can read any number of books for the respective genre each month in one particular month.
2. Take your time and go through your entire TBR-list before deciding the books to read.
3. You can join the challenge at any stage (in any month.)
4. You can drop out of the challenge any time you like.
5. You can select different levels every month.
6. Use this discussion board to share your reads with other members of the group.
7. Please be active and don't hesitate to ask questions or recommend books.

Happy reading!

message 2: by Dagny (new)

I read a lot of 'horror' a couple of decades ago and then sort of went off it, possibly with the advent of so manu serial killer monsters and such. I'll be working on a backlog of unread books from that period which have been languishing in boxes since.

Four ancient paperbacks:
Altered States by Paddy Chayefsky
The Night Stalker by Jeff Rice
The Priestess by Frank Lauria
I Am Frankenstein by C. Dean Andersson
(hopefully I'll get to at least two of them)

For anyone who doesn't have something on hand and wants to get started right away, a short novella, The Vampyre, a Tale by John Polidori, is free at Project Gutenberg: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/6087
Or you can listen to it (43 minutes) free from LibriVox in the collection at https://librivox.org/short-ghost-and-...
Actually, if you enjoy stories, you might find others of interest in the collection.

Another classic I want to try is The Mystery of a Turkish Bath by Rita. Sounds from the title as if it is a mystery, but is listed in 'Horror & Supernatural Fiction' and the description at LibriVox reads: 'A group of guests, at an exclusive luxury hotel in Hampshire, are the witnesses of an illustration of occult powers, demonstrated by "the Mystery", as Mrs. Jefferson named the beautiful stranger who one day appeared in the Turkish Baths of the hotel. The events that follow lead Mrs. Jefferson to question the wisdom of her interest in the occult.'
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/25656
https://librivox.org/mystery-of-a-tur...

As for new books, I'm watching for two audios at Overdrive
The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman and The Ballad of Black Tom by Victor LaValle
I'll grab the audio for either of those that become available.

message 3: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 1947 comments Mod
Dagny wrote: "As for new books, I'm watching for two audios at Overdrive
The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman and The Ballad of Black Tom by Victor LaValle."

Dagny,

I've read both of these books. I gave them 3 star ratings each, so they are certainly worth listening to.

message 4: by Cheryl (last edited Oct 01, 2017 01:34PM) (new)

My first book for he Horror Challenge is: 1.) Let the Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist

I got it from my library yesterday. I had seen the creepy Swedish film version, and thought I'd give the book a try.

message 5: by Dagny (new)

Cheryl wrote: "My first book for he Horror Challenge is: 1.) Let the Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist

I got it from my library yesterday. I had seen the creepy Swedish film version, and thoug..."

I've heard of that movie.

message 6: by Heena (new)

Heena Rathore Pardeshi (heenarathore) | 2174 comments Mod
Dagny Thanks a bunch for creating this thread! You're the best.
And thanks for all these lovely reccs. and links. I SO want to read all these right now and many others I'd planned for this month, but unfortunately, I've just taken under a big project for writing Book Reports, and sadly none of them is horror. Though, I'll try and listen to the audiobooks you mentioned here.

Happy reading!!

message 7: by Heena (last edited Oct 02, 2017 11:05AM) (new)

Cheryl - In answer to your question on the other thread - Yes, supernatural is included in this :)

Happy reading!!

message 8: by Dagny (new)

Cheryl wrote: "Dagny wrote: "The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman and The Ballad of Black Tom by Victor LaValle."

Dagny, I've read both of these books. I gave them 3 star ratings each, so they are certainly worth listening to."

Thanks, Cheryl. I might not get The Ballad of Black Tom in time, but should get Gaiman's book some time in the next couple of weeks.

message 9: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl wrote: "My first book for he Horror Challenge is: 1.) Let the Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist."

Finished it. 3 stars. Grotesque horror that's more disturbing than the film. I feel like I need to read about something nice now, like puppies and kittens, to wash that story out of my head. My review can be found here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 10: by Dagny (new)

I was lucky enough to get The Ocean at the End of the Lane yesterday.

message 11: by Cheryl (new)

Dagny wrote: "I was lucky enough to get The Ocean at the End of the Lane yesterday."

I hope you'll enjoy it!

message 12: by Cheryl (new)

2.) A Winter Haunting by Dan Simmons
3 stars. This was more to my liking, as it had alot of psychological horror. My review can be found here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 13: by Cheryl (new)

3.) The White Road by Sarah Lotz
3 stars. Subtle psychological horror novel set during a climbing expedition on Mt. Everest.

message 14: by Dagny (new)

Cheryl wrote: "3.) The White Road by Sarah Lotz
3 stars. Subtle psychological horror novel set during a climbing expedition on Mt. Everest."

I'm going to watch for that one. For some reason I enjoy reading about Everest (living vicariously).

message 15: by Cheryl (new)

Dagny wrote: "I'm going to watch for that one. For so..."

Dagny,
The book starts out with climbing down into a cave in Wales and then the same climber goes to Everest. Both the time in the cave and at the mountain are very well described, making you feel like you are there with him. Both locations are scary places to be (both physically and psychologically) and made it a suspenseful read.

message 16: by Dagny (new)

Finished my first for the month:
The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman

Wasn't really all that interested in it at the beginning and into the middle, but it had a nice finish which saved it for me.

message 17: by B. R. Kyle (new)

B. R. Kyle (Ambiguous Pieces)  | 55 comments I'm planning on reading Labyrinth Lost and The Last Necromancer

message 19: by Dagny (new)

3. The Mystery of a Turkish Bath by Rita

Just two stars for this one. It was ok. Only scary near the end and for the characters (not me, lol).

message 20: by Cheryl (new)

4.) The Beetle: A Mystery by Richard Marsh

3 stars. What a creepy fun read! It reminded me of a mix of H. P. Lovecraft and Wilkie Collins. I found it at Project Gutenberg. My review can be found here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 21: by Dagny (new)

Cheryl wrote: "4.) The Beetle: A Mystery by Richard Marsh

3 stars. What a creepy fun read! It reminded me of a mix of H. P. Lovecraft and Wilkie Collins. I found it at Project Gutenberg. My review..."

I'm so looking forward to this one, Cheryl! Did you tell me about it before? Somehow I knew about it because it's on my list of possibilities for 19th Century Lit.

message 22: by Cheryl (new)

Dagny wrote: " I'm so looking forward to this one, Cheryl! Did you tell me about it before? Somehow I knew about it because it's on my list of possibilities for 19th Century Lit."

Dagny,
No, it wasn't me. Adelaide read it and liked it, and Guy has on his To Be Read list. Wanda told me she did not like it. I picked it for my reading challenge (Egypt), as there is an Egyptian connection in it. You have to go into reading it knowing it's going to be campy and over-the-top, or you could be disappointed by it.

message 23: by Dagny (new)

Campy and over-the-top probably works for me in this case. Thanks, Cheryl.

message 24: by Dagny (new)

It appears I may have a 'campy' on going now. Started listening/reading to Wagner, the Wehr-Wolf by George W. M. Reynolds. It's quite long at almost nineteen hours.
https://librivox.org/wagner-the-wehr-... or read it at http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/27202
Comment at LibriVox:
"Wagner is a poor, lonely old shepherd living on the edge of the Black Forest. In a devil's pact he gains youth and wealth for the price of transforming into a ravenous wolf once a month. This book contains everything from murder, kidnap, robbery, sadistic nuns and lust to war in sixteenth century Italy. Originally published in a serialised form, this penny dreadful is definitely not a piece of fine literature, but is hopefully entertaining."
The LibriVox reader calls it historical, but I suspect it might also fit the horror category.

message 25: by Cheryl (last edited Oct 13, 2017 01:20PM) (new)

Ooh, Wagner, the Wehr-Wolf sounds like fun! I will have to take a look at it.

message 26: by Dagny (new)

Cheryl wrote: "Ooh, Wagner, the Wehr-Wolf sounds like fun! I will have to take a look at it."

It's long, but it goes fast.

message 27: by Cheryl (new)

5.) The Poisoned House by Michael Ford

3 stars. YA Victorian mystery. A ghost's appearances in a house give clues that help solve a family mystery. A quick entertaining read.

message 28: by Cheryl (new)

6.) The Caretaker of Lorne Field by Dave Zeltserman

3 stars. A weird, but oddly compelling, psychological horror story. Is he crazy or isn't he? My review can be read here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 29: by Dagny (new)

Cheryl wrote: "6.) The Caretaker of Lorne Field by Dave Zeltserman"

Cool title.

message 30: by Dagny (new)

I am giving up on Wagner, the Wehr-Wolf by George W. M. Reynolds. It's a shame because I'm halfway through the book, but it is just not that interesting to me and it's way too long to keep going.

message 31: by Cheryl (new)

Dagny wrote: "I am giving up on Wagner, the Wehr-Wolf by George W. M. Reynolds. It's a shame because I'm halfway through the book, but it is just not that interesting to me and it's way too long to keep going."

Oh, too bad!

message 32: by Cheryl (new)

7.) Uzumaki - Spiral Into Horror #3 by Junji Ito.

3 stars. This was my first manga comic book, and it's a weird one. Very Lovecraftian!

message 33: by Dagny (new)

Cheryl wrote: "7.) Uzumaki - Spiral Into Horror #3 by Junji Ito.

3 stars. This was my first manga comic book, and it's a weird one. Very Lovecraftian!"

Yea for you, Cheryl! I have yet to read a manga. (But it's hard to go wrong with something Lovecraftian.)

message 34: by Dagny (new)

#4 and my last for this month:

I love the movie. Have the dvd and have watched it at least half a dozen times. If you enjoyed the movie, you'll enjoy the book. If you hated the movie, don't bother with the book. The movie exactly follows the book including the ending. Of course a bit here and there is omitted from the movie, notably very long pseudo scientific passages which I just glossed over.

message 35: by Cheryl (new)

Dagny wrote: " Yea for you, Cheryl! I have yet to read a manga. (But it's hard to go wrong with something Lovecraftian.) "

I'm trying some different types of books I've never read/rarely read before. This manga was fun because you have to read it from the back to the front, and the panels read from right to left. This is typical Japanese book formatting, and it was not changed for the English version of the comic. The comic's drawings were some of the creepiest I've ever seen. Watch out for those snail people!

message 36: by Cheryl (new)

Dagny wrote: "#4 and my last for this month:

I love the movie. Have the dvd and have watched it at least half a dozen times. If you enjoyed the movie, you'll enjoy the book. If..."

I've seen the movie and read the book. I enjoyed both. It's something a bit different!

message 37: by Dagny (last edited Oct 28, 2017 05:46PM) (new)

Cheryl wrote: "I've seen the movie and read the book. I enjoyed both. It's something a bit different! "

You got that right. The movie was the first time I really remember seeing either William Hurt or Blair Brown who both went on to become favorites of mine. As I was reading the book, I could hear the dialogue coming out of the characters mouths exactly like the actors, both Emily and Eddie and also Mason.

message 38: by Heena (new)

Hey guys, sorry for being late... here's November's thread: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...