The NoSleep Podcast Book Club discussion

October 2017 Book of the Month: House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jessica (new)

Jessica McEvoy | 97 comments Mod
The Book of the Month has been decided! With nearly half of the votes, the winner is House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski. Note for app readers: due to the unique formatting of this novel, it is not available in e-book form; however, given its popularity there is a very good chance you can find a copy at your local library. Just be sure to bring some extra Skittles for the guardians there.

As always, if you cannot or do not want to read this book, feel free to choose any of the other books from the poll or bookshelf. This one is over 700 pages long. If you cannot commit to a novel this length for this month, I'll suggest Lovecraft's At the Mountains of Madness and Other Tales of Terror (184 pages) or Whitehouse's On A Hill (52 pages). You can still discuss whatever book you decide to read here.

Since we got a late start for September, I'll keep Colors of Death up for another week, including the poll to choose your favorite story at the bottom of the page. If it takes you longer to read it, no problem! The poll will still be accessible in the poll section of the group page with no timer on voting.

Happy reading!

message 2: by Raina (new)

Raina Singh | 15 comments Just got a notification from my local library that a hardcopy is available for me to pick up - looking forward to reading this one!

message 3: by karvolf (new)

karvolf | 21 comments Ordered a new copy last Friday since i still couldn't find my old one; hopefully it should arrive tomorrow. Between this and Stephen King's Revival i'm not sure if i'll have time to finish it, but i'm excited to discuss it!

message 4: by Lucas (last edited Oct 02, 2017 07:27AM) (new)

Lucas Hibbard (lhsquared) | 15 comments Oh man!! Love this book! I've read it once, but can't wait to take this adventure again.

Enjoy everyone!

House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski
House of Leaves

message 5: by Desdymona (new)

Desdymona | 53 comments Mod
Got mine reserved at a local bookstore will pick up this week. I wish that my last copy hadn't been a victim of a coffee spill. :(

message 6: by Lucas (new)

Lucas Hibbard (lhsquared) | 15 comments Inda wrote: "Got mine reserved at a local bookstore will pick up this week. I wish that my last copy hadn't been a victim of a coffee spill. :("

That sucks!!! My last copy got lent to a friend and never returned. At least I know that my copy is still being enjoyed though. Your's probably can't be salvaged, right?

message 7: by Desdymona (new)

Lucas wrote: "Inda wrote: "Got mine reserved at a local bookstore will pick up this week. I wish that my last copy hadn't been a victim of a coffee spill. :("

That sucks!!! My last copy got lent to a friend and..."

It was long ago, and was such a mess after drying that I did not hang on to it. Glad to have and excuse to replace it. (Not that I really needed one :P)

message 8: by John (new)

John (athorist) | 2 comments And if 700 pages isn't enough to commit to, there's four 900-page volumes of The Familiar out so far. (Is anyone else reading it?)

My last HoL re-read was last year, but I only lasted about 100 pages. Maybe I'll give it another go if I can finish Death Note.

message 9: by Marcus (new)

Marcus Damanda | 36 comments Mod
Just sitting down to begin this book tonight. I won't get far--it's near bedtime and I plan to do more this weekend. But here I go, hoping for some new nightmares ...

message 10: by karvolf (new)

karvolf | 21 comments Finished the intro and first chapter so far; i'm remembering a lot of it as i'm reading. The intro does a pretty good job at being omnious and creepy, although if i have one complaint to make it would be that the narrator severely overestimates my level of interest in who he wants to put his dick in.

i'm really digging the fake documentary/non-existing found footage aspect of it. There's a Borges vibe about it that's super fun to read. Must've been fun as hell to write too.

message 11: by Desdymona (new)

Picking up my copy today can't wait to start.

message 12: by Evan (new)

Evan I'm excited for this! I tried to get into the book last year, and I just couldn't make it all the way through. I'm hoping this is the push I need to get all the way through this time.

message 13: by Eric (new)

Eric (kageneko) | 11 comments Book just arrived care of Amazon.

To be honest, it's a pretty heavy and intimidating volume to look at :)

message 14: by Desdymona (new)

Eric wrote: "Book just arrived care of Amazon.

To be honest, it's a pretty heavy and intimidating volume to look at :)"

My advice is if it is your first read don't try and analyze every detail just have fun.

message 15: by Marcus (new)

I'm getting to know this family, the background of the film that doesn't exist, the setup, the multiple formats and points of view. And HEY, that reference to Harvey Weinstein in the early going was kind of wild, considering the awful stuff that's in the news lately. This book is often a slow burn, but it's oddly captivating and dreadful all at once. I was wondering at the start of the errors in grammar in usage were from the flawed narrator or the author himself, but I know better now. Some of this reads like it's on the fly but it's really, in fact, carefully cultivated, at least in the early going.

Anyone else having as much fun as I am?

message 16: by Raina (new)

Raina Singh | 15 comments Anyone else having as much fun as I am? "

*raises hand and swings it wildly*

Oh man, I think you described it beautifully here:

This book is often a slow burn, but it's oddly captivating and dreadful all at once.

I've been struggling to put into words how I've felt while reading it; that really captures it.

message 17: by Desdymona (new)

Marcus wrote: "I'm getting to know this family, the background of the film that doesn't exist, the setup, the multiple formats and points of view. And HEY, that reference to Harvey Weinstein in the early going wa..."

I am so much! I can't wait to devote more time this weekend and really make a dent. I am really captivated on the commentary on echos on a personal level. I always have been simply because I am crazy allergic to the flower narcissus.

message 18: by Sammy (new)

Sammy (sammysimplicity) | 9 comments I feel really bad and nitpicky for being bothered by this, but the grammar errors are seriously grating on me. Anyone know if they're intentional or not? I feel like if I knew they were intentional, they might not bother me so much. I'm specifically referring to the continual uses of things like "alot" and "would of" instead of the proper "a lot" and "would've/would have."

message 19: by Marcus (new)

Sammy wrote: "I feel really bad and nitpicky for being bothered by this, but the grammar errors are seriously grating on me. Anyone know if they're intentional or not? I feel like if I knew they were intentional..."

I don't think you should feel bad at all. But then, I'm an English teacher. :) I think most of them are narrator voice, like Mark Twain in Huckleberry Finn. I think the editors at Random House probably cleared up a lot of them (see what I did there?) But I don't think they all are. This thing, I'm told, was born from the world of creepypasta--not exactly the most disciplined kind of writing in the world. But it IS kind of creepy. :)

message 20: by Jessica (new)

Jessica McEvoy | 97 comments Mod
Sammy wrote: "I feel really bad and nitpicky for being bothered by this, but the grammar errors are seriously grating on me. Anyone know if they're intentional or not? I feel like if I knew they were intentional..."

They're definitely intentional. Those specific errors are only included in Johnny's sections, not in Zampano's pedantic discussion of The Navidson Report or even Johnny's mother's letters. As you learn more about Johnny, you'll understand more about his interrupted education and why he writes the way he does.

message 21: by Sammy (new)

Sammy (sammysimplicity) | 9 comments Jessica wrote: "Sammy wrote: "I feel really bad and nitpicky for being bothered by this, but the grammar errors are seriously grating on me. Anyone know if they're intentional or not? I feel like if I knew they we..."

That makes me feel ALOT better. ;p