Genre Readers looking to expand discussion

2017 Challenges > Halloween: Classic Monsters Theme

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 1202 comments Mod
It is Halloween Month!

I would like you to read a book that is tied to a classic Halloween monster.

It doesn't have to be the actual Dracula book, you could read an updated version of Dracula.

Think of the old black and white monster movies that kids dressed up as "back in the day" : Dracula, Frankenstein, Zombies, Ghosts, and Werewolves. If they tie back to this then great.

I won't limit you to type, but it is Halloween so I encourage you to look at some spooky books (the market is flooded with romantic vampires now but see if you can step away from that for this challenge)

message 2: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 1202 comments Mod
October is almost over and I didn't get into this theme as much as I wanted to but I did select a few Ghost stories to read.

The first one was Anna Dressed in Blood Anna Dressed in Blood (Anna, #1) by Kendare Blake which caught my eye because of the great cover. It is a YA book, with a young teenage ghost girl who killed people and the teenage ghost hunter. It was OK but turned into more of a weird romance than an actual ghost story.

Then I picked up Classic Ghost Stories by Miles Kelly Classic Ghost Stories off of my daughter's bookshelf. It is a collection of short ghost stories, I didn't finish it but just read a few stories: The body Snatchers by Robert Louis Stevenson, The Legend of Don Munio Sanchez de Hinjosa by Washington Irvin, The Fall of the House of Usher by Edgar Allen Poe.
There are 31 different stories so it is a nice book to be able to pick up and read when you have a few minutes here and there to relax. (It is quite heavy though so a bit awkward to hold).