Horror Aficionados discussion

Off Topic > Is it just me?

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kat (new)

Kat I looked at the BOTM selections for this month and yet again........Fluff. Fluffy covers, the same typical plots, and as usual, not a male author to be found(except this month's bonus). Many of these books are good, I get that, but BOTM seems to have a comfort zone it sticks too. And I do not feel like they really choose the BEST new selections each month. I stick to the very few horror book clubs that are out there. There's really no grit to these BOTM selections. Dark Matter was the last selection that I felt wasn't just simply geared towards the same type of audience.

No, I do not find Paula Hawkins clones, or the books touted, "The next Gone Girl" as gritty. Those are so overdone that they are more like fluff as well. The covers are really starting to annoy me. Everything is so dang pretty. I like pretty books sometimes too. However, some themes really do not warrent a pretty cover. Yes, they are offering a King book as a bonus incentive this month, but that is few and far between. And.......King's new one........HAS A PRETTY COVER. Lol.

message 2: by Char (last edited Oct 01, 2017 11:59AM) (new)

Char  | 13653 comments Mod
Our choices are made by our members with nomination rounds and then a final poll in which the majority rules. Please feel free to nominate and vote so that you can be heard.

You may make suggestions for our monthly themes if you like, in our Suggestions for HA thread.

There are always buddy reads available, please pop on in the main thread of the Buddy Reads section and see if someone wants to read a book with you.

Thing is, what some consider the BEST selections out there, others would consider the WORST. (For instance, some complained that Dark Matter wasn't a horror book at all and shouldn't even have been nominated.) Also, our BOTM selections are not comprised only of NEW selections, unless that's what our members nominate. Unless there's a theme, the age of the books we read are determined by the members.

message 3: by Lena (new)

Lena | 2358 comments Did you mean no female authors? You should nominate one next month.

message 4: by Kasia (new)

Kasia (kasia_s) | 2776 comments Mod
I actually nominated Dark Matter this year and it was the 1st time my book choice was read after being on this site for years :)

Personally I like how the BOTM process rolls out, it's a good way find new things to read.

message 5: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 378 comments @Kat, Are you talking about this group or another? I'm confused as all of the books on the group page are male authors, and you mention that none are.

message 6: by WendyB (new)

WendyB  | 2806 comments Mod
I'm also confused by this.
Kat, are you talking about book club offerings or HA Group Reads?

message 7: by Kat (new)

Kat Guys. Guys. Guys. I was talking about Book of the month club. Lol. Sorry. I was in no wAy meaning HA. I love HA. Your selections are great! I am sorry. BOtM was book of the month club. Sorry for the confusion there everyone everyone. HA choices are not fluffy. Lol.

message 8: by Kat (new)

Kat Kasia wrote: "I actually nominated Dark Matter this year and it was the 1st time my book choice was read after being on this site for years :)

Personally I like how the BOTM process rolls out, it's a good way f..."

Dark Matter was really the only non fluffy book and I liked it alot. But I just did not like the selections for the other months I was a member. I am not saying they should have all horror or anything. It is just that those they pick, with the exception of Dark Matter, were all the same type to me.

message 9: by Kat (new)

Kat Lena wrote: "Did you mean no female authors? You should nominate one next month."

Lena, I was referring to the book club Book of the month. I was complaining lol that that club doesn't showcase male authors alot. I wasn't referring to our group here. HA is wonderful.

message 10: by Kasia (new)

Ah got it, sorry! I randomly saw this pop up when I was reading on my laptop haha :)

message 11: by Kat (new)

Kat Char wrote: "Our choices are made by our members with nomination rounds and then a final poll in which the majority rules. Please feel free to nominate and vote so that you can be heard.

You may make suggestio..."

Char I am sorry for the misunderstanding. I was complaining about Book Of The Month Club not our group here. To be honest I didn't even know that you guys read Dark Matter. HA is great. I was just bitching about it here because I thought maybe a few would feel the same about Book of the Month. I should have been more clear because complaining about this great group was furthest from my mind.

message 12: by Kat (new)

Kat Jennifer wrote: "@Kat, Are you talking about this group or another? I'm confused as all of the books on the group page are male authors, and you mention that none are."

Yes. I was talking about Book of the Month club subscription.

message 13: by Kat (new)

Kat WendyB wrote: "I'm also confused by this.
Kat, are you talking about book club offerings or HA Group Reads?"

Book of the Month Subscription.

message 14: by Kat (new)

Kat Kasia wrote: "Ah got it, sorry! I randomly saw this pop up when I was reading on my laptop haha :)"

No. I am sorry. I was an ass. Lol. I should not have assumed everybody would know what BOTM meant.

message 15: by Kasia (last edited Oct 01, 2017 12:42PM) (new)

Kat wrote: "Kasia wrote: "Ah got it, sorry! I randomly saw this pop up when I was reading on my laptop haha :)"

No. I am sorry. I was an ass. Lol. I should not have assumed everybody would know what BOTM meant."

I saw your post by pure chance, then I turned to my bookshelf and saw the dust jacked sticking out because I lend it to a friend, its weird how books can connect people in any conversation, its all good :) hugs.

I really thought BOTM was the Jan read, sorry! :P

message 16: by Kat (new)

Kat Kasia wrote: "Kat wrote: "Kasia wrote: "Ah got it, sorry! I randomly saw this pop up when I was reading on my laptop haha :)"

No. I am sorry. I was an ass. Lol. I should not have assumed everybody would know wh..."

Hugs back to you. :) Have you read anything else by Blake Crouch?

message 17: by Char (last edited Oct 01, 2017 12:48PM) (new)

Char  | 13653 comments Mod
Kat wrote: "Char wrote: "Our choices are made by our members with nomination rounds and then a final poll in which the majority rules. Please feel free to nominate and vote so that you can be heard.

You may m..."

Oooh, okay. LOL We recently read Dark Matter in HA, so I thought you were referring to our monthly reads.

message 18: by Kasia (new)

Kat wrote: "Kasia wrote: "Kat wrote: "Kasia wrote: "Ah got it, sorry! I randomly saw this pop up when I was reading on my laptop haha :)"

No. I am sorry. I was an ass. Lol. I should not have assumed everybody..."

Oh girl, Crouch is amazing, he can write some scary serial killer stuff like this Andrew Z. Thomas books and creature stuff like the Wayward pines books, I read a lot of his books but not all of them, Dark Matter was his tamest baby yet.

Andrew Z. Thomas
1. Desert Places (2004)
2. Locked Doors (2005)
3. Break You (2011)
4. Stirred (2011) (with J A Konrath)
Thicker Than Blood (omnibus) (2011)

Wayward Pines
1. Pines (2012)
2. Wayward (2013)
3. The Last Town (2014)

message 19: by Kat (new)

Kat Char wrote: "Kat wrote: "Char wrote: "Our choices are made by our members with nomination rounds and then a final poll in which the majority rules. Please feel free to nominate and vote so that you can be heard..."

I wish I was here when you guys were doing that. The book was such a trip.

message 20: by Kat (new)

Kat Kasia wrote: "Kat wrote: "Kasia wrote: "Kat wrote: "Kasia wrote: "Ah got it, sorry! I randomly saw this pop up when I was reading on my laptop haha :)"

No. I am sorry. I was an ass. Lol. I should not have assum..."

Have you watched the series based on Pines? If so, what did you think of it?

message 21: by Kasia (new)

Kat wrote: "Kasia wrote: "Kat wrote: "Kasia wrote: "Kat wrote: "Kasia wrote: "Ah got it, sorry! I randomly saw this pop up when I was reading on my laptop haha :)"

No. I am sorry. I was an ass. Lol. I should ..."

I have, my bf who didn't read the books kept watch thing them on the repeat to get more of the story, the books had a more sinister vibe but it liked it a lot.

message 22: by Kat (new)

Kat Kasia wrote: "Kat wrote: "Kasia wrote: "Kat wrote: "Kasia wrote: "Kat wrote: "Kasia wrote: "Ah got it, sorry! I randomly saw this pop up when I was reading on my laptop haha :)"

No. I am sorry. I was an ass. Lo..."

Nobody seems to know if there is a season 3.