Mock Printz 2023 discussion

Genuine Fraud
This topic is about Genuine Fraud
Mock Printz 2018 > October Selection: Genuine Fraud

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Bang Bang Books What do you think about Genuine Fraud? Do you think it's Printz worthy? Why or why not?

Bang Bang Books I'll start the conversation.
This will be, once again, a very polarizing book. I am in the YAAASSS group as I really liked Genuine Fraud and here's why:

I liked the non linear plot in relation to Jule's character development. At some point, we know that she's guilty but through her made up backstory and her real life, we empathize with her. When she reconnects with that guy in England (I read this a while ago, sorry) we see that she's quite self aware and she wants to be a good person but it's too late. All of this came about because this orphan girl who wanted to be someone coincidently met a naive woman who gave Jule money and license to escape. I thought that Jule was very well developed and crazy and determined and sympathetic and you kind of root for as she gets away with murder.

Imogene was also a great character because Lockhart could have easily written a vapid socialite but in Imogene we have this wannabe -deep manipulator that is anything but vapid. She knows exactly what she's doing with men and Jule. She's aware that Jule is obsessed and she feeds it then she dumps her when she feels like it. Did she deserved to get murdered? No, but kudos to Lockhart for making the reader hate a teenager so much that we don't feel all that bad when she gets murdered just because she's an asshole.

I liked Lockhart's writing style and how she foreshadowed information. I know this isn't groundbreaking but it really added to the shock and enjoyment to the book.

I'm not sure if this will be an honor but I do think it will be considered because of the voice, the multi-themed plot, and the non linear story. One of my faves of the year.

message 3: by Maureen (last edited Oct 15, 2017 02:12PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Maureen (mhsquier) | 79 comments You have to hand it to E. Lockhart. She takes classic stories, and turns them upside down by populating them with very modern characters, many of them strong female characters. I think the story in reverse was a brilliant storytelling technique, and it works for the story that Lockhart wrote. None of the characters were particularly likeable, but they were all well developed, even the supporting ones.

All that said, I'm not sure about Printz worthiness. This year seems to be a year with a good number of good books, but nothing truly outstanding yet. But I don't think I'd ever be surprised to see E. Lockhart's name on a Printz list.

message 4: by Emily (new) - added it

Emily | 1 comments I usually enjoy non-linear plots but this just didn't work for me. It was too confusing with the timelines so close together and the flashbacks on top of that. Adding to that I wasn't able to engage with the characters at all. There was no suspence, no thrill and no real substance to it. A disappointment because I've enjoyed her previous works.

Anne (headfullofbooks) | 80 comments I was completely impressed by E. Lockhart's ability to write a story backwards. I listened to the audiobook so it took me a while to figure out that I was supposed to listen to the date as a new chapter began and we worked our way forward by going backwards. It was brilliant, actually. I really disliked all the characters: Jule, Imogen, Forrest, Brooke, Patti which makes me think that some people won't like the book because of the lack of connection to at least one of the characters. But I for one am a fan. It is so different than any of the books this year. For this alone I am grateful. I hope it gets considered for at least a Printz Honor.

Kate Prusick (kateprusick) | 1 comments I complete agree, Emily!

Reving | 53 comments Am about 1/3 of the way...liking it! But does it remind anyone of The Talented Mr. Ripley?

Reving | 53 comments My bad! Just read it was intentionally written to give homage to Ripley! Got it!

Reving | 53 comments I have to agree with Dawn...I am fully in the YES column on this one. I really loved listening to this book. http://revingsblog.blogspot.com/2017/...

Christina Getrost (goldiebug) | 3 comments I enjoyed this one too, even though I didn't like the characters. But in a way the main character was such an antihero I was rooting for her anyway. And I thought the backwards plot conceit was brilliantly done. Every chapter kept revealing more and more and I loved the feeling of seeing the puzzle pieces plopping into place.

Sarah | 42 comments I thought it was well crafted and I was pulled into the story immediately - the pace was great. I found the ending dissatisfying. A good read that I would recommend to teens, but ultimately not a contender.

message 12: by Anne (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anne (headfullofbooks) | 80 comments Christina wrote: "I enjoyed this one too, even though I didn't like the characters. But in a way the main character was such an antihero I was rooting for her anyway. And I thought the backwards plot conceit was bri..."

Well said.