Never too Late to Read Classics discussion

Cannery Row
This topic is about Cannery Row
Archive Authors > Novel Cannery Row

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lesle, Main Moderator/Admin (new)

Lesle | 6218 comments Mod
Cannery Row is a novel (about 208 pages) by American author John Steinbeck, published in 1945. It is set during the Great Depression in Monterey, California, on a street lined with sardine canneries that is known as Cannery Row. The story revolves around the people living there: Lee Chong, the local grocer; Doc, a marine biologist; and Mack, the leader of a group of derelicts.

message 2: by Rosemarie, Moderator III/ from Canada / YA Classics (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rosemarie | 8598 comments Mod
I have just started the book and after one chapter, Steinbeck has already created the setting and the mood. The book has short chapters and looks good so far.

Blueberry (blueberry1) | 575 comments I am reading Sweet Thursday, it's sequel.

message 4: by Lesle, Main Moderator/Admin (new)

I am planning on reading it whenever I get the Witch of Blackbird Pond done.

It is Election time so having very little lunch time or none at all. I always enjoy reading on lunch...it's like Calgon...Take Me Away!

message 5: by Rosemarie, Moderator III/ from Canada / YA Classics (new) - rated it 4 stars

Chapter 14 is a lyrical description of early morning on Cannery Row, which is a feat, since it includes a bouncer scratching his stomach.

message 6: by Rosemarie, Moderator III/ from Canada / YA Classics (new) - rated it 4 stars

Chapter 20. What is special about Doc's party?

message 7: by Rosemarie, Moderator III/ from Canada / YA Classics (new) - rated it 4 stars

This is one of Steinbeck's more upbeat novels, but it does have poignant moments as well.

message 8: by Lesle, Main Moderator/Admin (last edited Oct 22, 2017 02:18PM) (new)

It astonishes me how much descriptive words Steinbeck can fit in a short sentence!

Cannery Row sounds the whistle and the workers come a running! What a way to go to work and I cannot imagine the smell.

Why did Horace take his life? was it the debt?

"Our Father who art in nature"

message 9: by Rosemarie, Moderator III/ from Canada / YA Classics (new) - rated it 4 stars

Maybe Horace feels he has been a total failure and can't go on anymore?

message 10: by Lesle, Main Moderator/Admin (new)

Just surprised with two wives and children someone would do that.

There was no real story about Horace, almost like a thought not needed, but was still added anyways.

message 11: by Rosemarie, Moderator III/ from Canada / YA Classics (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sometimes life is like that. We never know the reason why people act the way they do.

message 12: by Lesle, Main Moderator/Admin (new)

I know what you mean, as the next chapter William takes his, as no one likes him? and no one does anything to help, and with a ice pick of all things.

These little snips I am sure is to show what happened but no real story behind them. Just dead. Sad.

message 13: by Lesle, Main Moderator/Admin (new)

Doc is well liked and everyone enjoys his place.

message 14: by Rosemarie, Moderator III/ from Canada / YA Classics (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sometimes I think that Doc is the only responsible adult in the book.

This book is about relationships among friends, including Doc's friends, who always want to show him their gratitude for what he does for them. But things never turn out quite as planned.

message 15: by Lesle, Main Moderator/Admin (new)

Oh great! I feel like the first few chapter was all over.

So Im still reading to find the answer to your question about Doc.

message 16: by Rosemarie, Moderator III/ from Canada / YA Classics (new) - rated it 4 stars

This is one of Steinbeck's lighter books, despite the beginning.

message 17: by Lesle, Main Moderator/Admin (new)

So Rosemarie, Im thinking there is no real plot?

message 18: by Rosemarie, Moderator III/ from Canada / YA Classics (new) - rated it 4 stars

There is a plot of sorts, about Doc's party. Mostly the book is about life on Cannery Row.

message 19: by Lesle, Main Moderator/Admin (new)

That's what I was beginning to figure out with all the short chapters and the deaths.

I am enjoying the part about Doc and his place. So was the Party the answer to the question?

message 20: by Rosemarie, Moderator III/ from Canada / YA Classics (new) - rated it 4 stars

Have you gotten to the sections where Doc goes driving a few hunderd miles to get specimens for his business?
If anyone can be considered the hero of the book, it is Doc. Mack is guy who means well, but something always seems to go wrong.
The book has a satisfying ending.

message 21: by Lesle, Main Moderator/Admin (last edited Oct 29, 2017 09:08AM) (new)

The part with Mack and the Boys going after the frogs and back to Doc's place to throw him a party. But they get drinking the whiskey and pretty much trash everything! Doc realizes how much he is appreciated and loved made me giggle and smile.

The book worried me in the beginning but ended up being full of humor and the antics the boys have along the way makes the read fun!

I am beginning to think that John Steinbeck is amazing!

message 22: by Rosemarie, Moderator III/ from Canada / YA Classics (new) - rated it 4 stars

Did you notice that all the frogs escaped? That was some party!

message 23: by Lesle, Main Moderator/Admin (new)

That was crazy, there was hundreds!
Some party alright!