Never too Late to Read Classics discussion

East of Eden
This topic is about East of Eden
Archive Authors 2021 > Novel East of Eden by John Steinbeck

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lesle, Appalachain Bibliophile (last edited Oct 01, 2017 06:44AM) (new)

Lesle | 5721 comments Mod
East of Eden is a novel (about 608 pages) by Nobel Prize winner John Steinbeck, published in September 1952. Often described as Steinbeck's most ambitious novel, East of Eden brings to life the intricate details of two families, the Trasks and the Hamiltons, and their interwoven stories. The novel was originally addressed to Steinbeck's young sons, Thom and John (then 6½ and 4½ years old, respectively). Steinbeck wanted to describe the Salinas Valley for them in detail: the sights, sounds, smells, and colors.

message 2: by Ana (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ana | 84 comments I've recently read this novel. It was my first Steinbeck novel. I'd read it again and again. I loved the story ambience, its writing, i was able to feel the atmosphere in Salinas, i empathized with the characters and their human flaws... A Classic of all time that certainly fed my spirit. I recommend. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. Happy reading! :)

message 3: by Lesle, Appalachain Bibliophile (new)

So glad you enjoyed East of Eden Ana! I hope you will comment as the read goes along.

message 4: by Ana (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ana | 84 comments I'll try to stay "tunned" while you read along. Enjoy! ;)

Tracey (traceyrb) | 1371 comments Ana wrote: "I'll try to stay "tunned" while you read along. Enjoy! ;)"

I read this several years ago and loved it. If I had time I would re-read it but will look in and comment if I can.

message 6: by Lesle, Appalachain Bibliophile (new)

That would be wonderful Tracey! Thank you!

message 7: by Ana (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ana | 84 comments I read this several years ago and loved it. If I had time I would re-read it but will look in and comment if I can."
Tracey, "East of Eden" still keeps me thinking about it, you know. I'm glad i finally read this Classic :)

message 8: by Lesle, Appalachain Bibliophile (new)

Thanks Ana!

message 9: by Ana (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ana | 84 comments Hello all :) How's the reading going? Long story :)

message 10: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new) - added it

Rosemarie | 9683 comments Mod
I read this novel years ago and agree that it is a long story, but definitely worth the effort.

Andrea Marinho Phillips | 6 comments I've read this book after a friend's suggestion. She told me that she felt like she knew all those characters. When I finished, I really missed all of them. I am also glad I read this novel...

message 12: by Ana (last edited Oct 13, 2017 03:33AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ana | 84 comments Rosemarie, I fully agree with you: it's definitely worth the reading!!

message 13: by Ana (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ana | 84 comments Me again! :p So, what's your favourite character so far? :)

Sarah This is my all time favorite book and I could read it over and over.

My favorite character is Lee.

message 15: by Ana (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ana | 84 comments Sarah Anne, i relate to your opinion!
Lee is also my favorite character in the story. Samuel was a very profound one as well.
This is such a great novel that all of the characters contain deep features within, i think.

Sarah Tom is the best for laughs :)

message 17: by Ana (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ana | 84 comments What about Dessie? I felt a strange "vibe" going on unspoken between her and Tom... Their fondness could be love...

Sarah I thought they were just exceptionally close. Sometimes in large families two siblings seem to bond really tight. I get the feeling that Tom had some sort of emotional imbalance. Possibly a mental illness? Something that made him have much stronger and more intense emotions than is typical.

message 19: by Ana (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ana | 84 comments Maybe. I wouldn't call Tom bipolar, but he seemed to have self-control issues indeed.

Sarah I would personally go with "emotional turbulence." His emotions seemed very intense.

message 21: by Ana (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ana | 84 comments True. But they weren't developed in the story.

Sarah The Hamilton's were Steinbeck's family.

Sarah I accidentally cut my content off. Anyway, the portion of the story regarding the Hamiltons is autobiographical.

message 24: by Ana (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ana | 84 comments Yeah, I recall that as well. Steinbeck was Olive's son, if I well remember. :)

Tracey (traceyrb) | 1371 comments I keep a journal alongside me when I read and I looked back at it. From this:

And it never failed that during the dry years the people forgot the rich years, and during the rich years they lost all memory of the dry years.

When a child first catches adults out-when it first walks into his grave little head little adults do not have divine intelligence...his world fallen into panic, desolation. The gods are fallen and all safety is gone.

Something in him shrank from violence, from contention, from the silent shrieking tensions that can rip at a house. He contributed to the quiet he wished for by offering no violence, no contention, and to this, he had to retire into secretness, since there is some violence in everyone.

Such language and sentiment; what is there not to love about Steinbeck?