Ink and Paper Blog discussion

Currently Reading > Currently Reading - October 2017

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Russell (new)

Russell | 166 comments Mod
Hello Everyone -

Can you believe it is already October 1st! Me either. What are you reading this month? Are you going to go scary? Are you going to participate in Victober?

I picked up 4321 by Paul Auster last night. My goodness is it a long book. And I read only 12 pages in 30 minutes - it is a lot of text. I am not sure how it is going to go, but it is kicking off my month.

You?

message 2: by Marivi (new)

Marivi Sanz | 3 comments I've just finished reading Call Me by Your Name by André Aciman. I think it's wonderful, but it left my heart aching so much that I need some lighter reading after it. I've chosen The Dark Days Club, a Regency adventure about a young woman who happens to be a demon hunter. Couldn't be more different :)

message 3: by Loralie (new)

Loralie | 17 comments I have just started Dark Places by Gillian Flynn & am a little apprehensive about it as her books tend to be very unsettling to me. I throughly disliked Gone Girl, but thought Sharp Things was much better so we will see!

message 4: by Christopher (new)

Christopher | 5 comments Must read by the end of he month - because they are due back at the library :)

1. Sour Heart by Jenny Zhang
2. Home Fire by Kamila Shamsie
3. Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng *squealing with excitement*

Those are all the definite plans for the month. Hoping to fit some spooky gothic reads in though.... and maybe a little Victorian as well. May pick up a classic like Frankenstein or Dracula. Oh tis the season for spookiness. Happy reading :)

message 5: by Peggy (new)

Peggy Gordon (m0bscene85) 1. The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides
2. Geek Love by Katherine Dunn
Im wanting to start Prozac Nation by Elizabeth Wurtzel for The Mad Woman's Book Club Book of the Month discussion, as well as Siege and Storm by Leigh Bardugo, #2 in the Grisha Trilogy.

message 6: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodyforsythe) Hello!! Can't believe we're into October already!
I finished our September with The Sunshine Sisters and The Alchemist.
I'm starting October with Eleanor and Park; and also I, Coriander.
My brother (special needs) called me this morning and asked if I could take him to the Good Will store. On that trip, I went in and picked up three books for $3.15:
Cold Sassy Tree (Good Reads recommendation for me)
Shanghai Girls
Summer Sisters (Read this quite a while ago but want to read again).
Not sure if I will read those this month or if they will go into my winter reading pile.

message 7: by Angela (new)

Angela | 2 comments Yes it is a lot of text, but I found listening via audible easier than reading 4321. I have at present six hours left out of 38 hours and it’s taken me two weeks of listening to it driving to and from to work and uni.

message 8: by Russell (new)

Angela wrote: "Yes it is a lot of text, but I found listening via audible easier than reading 4321. I have at present six hours left out of 38 hours and it’s taken me two weeks of listening to it driving to and f..."
Goodness - I decided it was not for me right now. I needed something that moved a bit faster. That is a lot of time to dedicate to an audio book as well.

message 9: by Russell (new)

Jody wrote: "Hello!! Can't believe we're into October already!
I finished our September with The Sunshine Sisters and The Alchemist.
I'm starting October with Eleanor and Park; and also I, Coriander.
My brothe..."

You will adore Cold Sassy Tree! It is fantastic.

message 10: by Russell (new)

Dominik wrote: "I don't know if I can manage it to read a horror or spooky book this month, but I have three books planned for October:

1.) The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead
2.) Little Fires Everywhere..."

I have read The Underground Railroad - it is very good, if very dark. The other two are also on my TBR. I will likely get to Ng this month - not sure about Tallent.

message 11: by Russell (new)

Peggy wrote: "1. The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides
Im wanting to start Prozac Nation by Elizabeth Wurtzel for The Mad Woman's Book Club Book of the Month discussion, as well..."

Going old school - both of these are excellent reads.

message 12: by Russell (new)

Christopher wrote: "Must read by the end of he month - because they are due back at the library :)

1. Sour Heart by Jenny Zhang
2. Home Fire by Kamila Shamsie
3. Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng *squealing with ..."

I am interested in what you think of Zhang's book. I am tempted - but don't love short story collections. But I think it sounds like it could be good. Ng is also on my list this month some time.

message 13: by Russell (new)

Loralie wrote: "I have just started Dark Places by Gillian Flynn & am a little apprehensive about it as her books tend to be very unsettling to me. I throughly disliked Gone Girl, but thought Sharp Things was much..."

I liked Sharp Things best I think. I have not read Dark Places in ages - I don't recall much. But I know I liked it.

message 14: by Russell (new)

Marivi wrote: "I've just finished reading Call Me by Your Name by André Aciman. I think it's wonderful, but it left my heart aching so much that I need some lighter reading after it...."

I have a collection from Aciman on my shelf. I should pick it up soon.

message 15: by Peggy (new)

Peggy Gordon (m0bscene85) Russell wrote: "Peggy wrote: "1. The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides
Im wanting to start Prozac Nation by Elizabeth Wurtzel for The Mad Woman's Book Club Book of the Month discu..."

I finished The Virgin Suicides last night and Im about 50 pages into Geek Love. I like it so far. Its strange and abrasive but it also promotes embracing your flaws. So far, so good :)

message 16: by MsAprilVincent (new)

MsAprilVincent | 2 comments I'm reading The Merry Spinster, by Mallory Ortberg, right now.
I'm listening to Born a Crime, by Trevor Noah, on audio. He's a great storyteller!
I have Lincoln in the Bardo out from the library, but I might return it. I want to read it, but it's not the right time for me. Do any of you ever feel like that about a book?

message 17: by Tonie (new)

Tonie Green So for October I'm reading Little Fires Everywhere by C. Ng just short of half way. This is picking up steam. Just started Young Jane Young by G. Zevin, its off and running. Then at my library last night I got Sleeping Beauties by Stephen/Owen King. Hoping it is not horror because I will have to put it down. I'm glad I ran across it in the library; would hate to buy a 700 page book not to finish due to fear. 😥😮 Happy reading everyone. 📚

message 18: by ColumbusReads (new)

ColumbusReads (coltrane01) | 10 comments I had discussions with friends about Little Fires Everywhere and we all agreed it’s even better than her debut. Sing can reall work a story.

I just started The Leavers and The Essex Serpent just appeared in Overdrive for me to download. I may have to forego one. Any reviews for either of these because I may need to read one and send the other one packing.

message 19: by James (last edited Oct 04, 2017 07:50AM) (new)

James Vickers (jamesdamian) | 8 comments I am currently reading The Magician's Land The 3rd book in The Magicians Trilogy. It is okay. So far, I've liked the 2nd book the best, but the trilogy isn't my favorite.

Next up this month will be two book club reads: The Testament of Mary and The Gospel According to Jesus Christ - this next meeting' theme is fictionalized accounts of religious figures. We are all reading the Toibin book and (since it is so short) then picked a separate book individually to share with the group when we meet.

Then, for Halloween, I am planning to read Lives of the Monster Dogs!

message 20: by Russell (new)

MsAprilVincent wrote: "I'm reading The Merry Spinster, by Mallory Ortberg, right now.
I'm listening to Born a Crime, by Trevor Noah, on audio. He's a great storyteller!
I have Lincoln in the Bardo out from the library, ..."

I love any thing with Spinster in the title! I am on it.

message 21: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 6 comments I'm currently listening to the audiobook of Northern Lights by Phillip Pullman and liking it so far :)
I can't decide which book to physically read...I've been in a bit of a slump since I finished Career of Evil by Robert Galbraith (which I loved!). I'm definitely a mood reader and I find it so hard to choose what to read next even though I have so many unread books on my shelves - it can be overwhelming but there's worse problems to have I suppose lol

message 23: by Christina (new)

Christina (adventuresinpolishland) | 3 comments I'm currently working through a pile of library books! I requested a bunch of YA new releases, and some trilogy closers. I just finished Genuine Fraud by E. Lockhart, which I enjoyed, but it did not measure up to We Were Liars for me. Now I'm reading We'll Always Have Summer by Jenny Han.

After all the library books, I'll be picking up The Shining by Stephen King! I definitely want to get to it during October.

message 24: by Catherine (last edited Oct 06, 2017 06:42AM) (new)

Catherine (catherinebowdler) | 5 comments Currently listening to North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell, narrated by Juliet Stevenson. Amazing. Oh I am loving this book. Why have I never read it before? Juliet as per usual doing the most fabulous job of narrating. Might be my favourite book of the year.

I'm also listening to Graceling with my teenage daughters. It's a jolly fantastical romp. They are enjoying it more than I am (unsurprisingly).

Currently rereading The His Dark Materials trilogy in anticipation for the new Philip Pullman prequel release later this month. Just about to start The Amber Spyglass, have several boxes of tissues bought in preparedness.

message 25: by Jill (last edited Oct 06, 2017 09:54AM) (new)

Jill (jillglove) I'm just confirming it's 2017 right? 😉

I just finished The Beekeeper's Apprentice

Reading Lincoln in the Bardo
While listening to the fabulous cast audiobook narration

The Bookseller's Tale

Book group is reading Florence in Ecstasy

message 26: by Su (new)

Su | 4 comments I just started listening to The Child Finder (everyone seems to be talking about this) and I'm reading Salvage the Bones. When thats done I'll finish Sleeping Beauties (I'm a Stephen King junkie.. shhhhh) and From Here to Eternity by Caitlyn Doughty (saw her last night at Green River Books)

message 27: by Loralie (new)

Loralie | 17 comments I finished Dark Places and am now starting The Woman in White by Wilke Collins. This is my first Wilke, I hope it is good!

message 28: by Tracy (new)

Tracy | 1 comments I am reading The Lonely Polygamist by Brady Udall. I am loving this book. Golden, the main character is so fraught with problems, yet It is hard not to sympathize with his situations. His son Rusty is a hoot. Both father and son experience the gamut of loneliness, isolation and abandonment.

message 29: by Deb (new)

Deb Just finished Elmet and now reading Our Souls at Night which I have been wanting to read for a long tome!

message 30: by Meredith (new)

Meredith (merelovesreading) | 7 comments Tracy wrote: "I am reading The Lonely Polygamist by Brady Udall. I am loving this book. Golden, the main character is so fraught with problems, yet It is hard not to sympathize with his situations. His son Rusty..."

I am looking forward to reading this after hearing Russell talk about it on his channel. I enjoyed Udall's previous book, The Miracle Life of Edgar Mint. I am hoping to get to it later this month.

message 31: by Shaun (new)

Shaun (sturnerstuff) | 14 comments Finished a couple of wonderfully poignant books as part of the Bookbusters readathon in the first week of October, namely Tin Man and In the Orchard, the Swallows. Also read Sarah Hall's wonderful short story collection Madame Zero: 9 Stories and Nicky Drayden's fun, bonkers, but ultimately flawed sci-fi debut The Prey of Gods.

Part way through Pages for You and a non-fiction history book, Killers of the King: The Men Who Dared to Execute Charles I.

Hoping to pick up the following before the end of the month:
Burial Rites
The Good People
Elmet
Van Diemen's Land

message 32: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 1 comments Magpie Murders by Anthony Horowitz and Eliza and Her Monsters by Francesca Zappia