Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Final Girls
This topic is about Final Girls
Archives > [October] Final Girls, by Riley Sager - Part 1 (spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (last edited Oct 05, 2017 03:21PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Laura | 3821 comments Mod
For our thriller book of the month for October-November, we will reading Final Girls.

For more information about the book of the month, see the Introduction post.

This book can fit in several categories of the AtY RC: #4 (A title that doesn't contain the letter "E"), #10 (A dual-timeline novel), #14 (A book with a strong female character), #16 (A mystery), #22 (A book by an author you haven't read before), #40 (A book published in 2017), #43 (A book with a chilling atmosphere [scary, unsettling, cold])

Part 1: pages 1-118 (Chapters 1-13)
Part 2: pages 119-234 (Chapters 14-29)
Part 3: pages 235-342 ("One Week After Pine Cottage" - End)

Part 1 Questions:
1. What are your first impressions of the "Final Girls"? (Quincy and Samantha)
2. Favorite character so far? (Can include peripheral characters or characters from Pine Cottage.)
3. What do you think Lisa was contacting Quincy about?
- E-mail: "Quincy, I need to talk to you. It's extremely important. Please, please don't ignore this.
4. Jonah Thompson (reporter) said he had something to tell Quincy about Samantha. What are your predictions with this?
5. Ask a question for the person below you!

Anastasia (anastasiaharris) | 1331 comments I am not sure what I feel about this book so far. The flash backs are interesting.
Right now I do not like any of the characters. The only one that seems okay is Craig.
The text to Quincy is creepy. I do not think Lisa was crying for help in that way. She may have been texting about Sam.
Sam is very weird. She is giving me bad vibes.

Anastasia (anastasiaharris) | 1331 comments I forgot to add a question.

If you were a Final Girl who would you emulate? Lisa, who was gregarious, Sam, who disappears, or Quincy, who is hiding in plain sight?

Katie | 2369 comments I just finished chapter 13 like 5 minutes ago.

1. Quincy and Sam are very different, but they both give me anxiety. I like Quincy better because at this point she seems like less of a wildcard.
2. Coop is my favorite character so far because I feel like he's steady, trustworthy and his motives are good. Like Anastasia, I don't really like any of the characters.
3. I think Lisa was murdered and it was made to look like a suicide. I think she knew she was in danger and it had something to do with being a final girl, so she was trying to warn Quincy.
4. I think Jonah's comment about Sam has some validity. I think it was creepy that Sam knew Quincy's phone number when she called her in the middle of the night. I don't trust her out think her motives are pure. I wonder if she's malicious toward Quincy.
5. If I were a final girl, I would most likely be like Quincy, pretending I was okay and had moved past it. And I would definitely do a lot of baking.

My question: Which of the timelines is more compelling (or scary) to you, the present day or the Pine Cottage event?

Molly (mollyrotondo) | 57 comments Part 1 Questions:
1. What are your first impressions of the "Final Girls"? (Quincy and Samantha)

Quincy wants to act like everything is okay now and that she is a normal person living a normal life. I think that this longing to be normal is clouding her judgment. I really don't trust her boyfriend. I find him very suspicious. And I think that Quincy would see that in him too if she wasn't so desperate for a regular life. Samantha is a bad influence on Quincy. I wonder if she mad a deal with the tabloid so she could make some money.

2. Favorite character so far? (Can include peripheral characters or characters from Pine Cottage.)

Coop is my favorite so far too. He's the only character who seems genuine. I would love to see more of him.

- E-mail: "Quincy, I need to talk to you. It's extremely important. Please, please don't ignore this.

I definitely think Lisa was murdered. I would have to assume that Lisa knew someone was watching her and that she was in danger. Maybe she wanted to work Quincy that she could be in danger too. I really think that Quincy's boyfriend murdered Lisa and that's why he was late coming back from Chicago. That "my flight is delayed" story really didn't sit well with me.

4. Jonah Thompson (reporter) said he had something to tell Quincy about Samantha. What are your predictions with this?

I think that Thompson made a deal with her so he could get a few good stories for the tabloid. I think that's a red herring.

5. Which of the timelines is more compelling (or scary) to you, the present day or the Pine Cottage event?

I prefer the flashback to Pine Cottage much more compelling. I really don't like the present day story right now. There's too much fluff in the present day story.

My question: Do you think Quincy will do what Sam suggests and go back to Pine Cottage?

Michelle (mich2689) | 476 comments 1. What are your first impressions of the "Final Girls"? (Quincy and Samantha)
Quincy seems to be functioning quite well despite her past trauma. She’s got her anxiety and some kleptomania but overall she seems to be doing quite well. Samantha makes me anxious. I think she’s hiding something big and I really do not trust her. I want Quincy to stop hanging out with her.

I would have to say Coop. He’s kind, reliable, and genuinely cares about Quincy.

I think Lisa was murdered. She probably found something out but was killed before she could tell anyone. She was trying to warn Quincy. I don’t know why she thought an email would be the quickest method of contact.

Samantha is definitely very fishy and I wish Quincy had listened to more of what Jonah had to say. Even her boyfriend didn’t feel good about Samantha.

5. I hope she doesn’t but with the way things are going she actually might. Sam is leading Quincy down a slippery slope. Quincy is easily influenced by Sam.

My question: why do you think Sam has chosen to come back out of laying low and has approached Quincy?