Romance Audiobooks discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > October Romance Listening

Comments Showing 1-50 of 109 (109 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 1960 comments Mod
It's October! Tell us what romance you are listening to this month.

message 2: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 4092 comments Mod
I finished listening to Monster in the Closet by Karen Rose, Romantic Suspense #19. I really enjoyed this one and can’t believe I’m now up to date. Here’s my review.
Monster in the Closet (Romantic Suspense, #19; Baltimore, #5) by Karen Rose

message 3: by Denise ~The Procrastinating Book Diva~ (last edited Oct 01, 2017 07:59PM) (new)

Denise ~The Procrastinating Book Diva~ (procrastinating_bookdiva) | 17 comments I've been listening to mostly sports romances lately and just finished Most Valuable Playboy by Lauren Blakely . It fit the bill for my need as of late - light hearted & low angst. Zachary Webber's brilliant narration took it to the next level. He's definitely giving my AB male narrator crush Sebastian York a run for his money!!!

message 4: by KathyB (new)

KathyB  (kathybrown) | 650 comments I finished The Thing about Love by Julie James The Thing About Love by Julie James over the weekend and enjoyed it. I didn't care for the narrator (Karen White) at first, but it got better as the story progressed. This was a good one to listen to. I think the slow build romance would have been a little boring if I was reading instead of listening.

Next up Natural Born Charmer (Chicago Stars, #7) by Susan Elizabeth Phillips Natural Born Charmer by Susan Elizabeth Phillips. I read this one years ago, I'm looking forward to listening this time around.

message 5: by Jonetta (new)

KathyB wrote: "I finished The Thing about Love by Julie James The Thing About Love by Julie James over the weekend and enjoyed it. I didn't care for the narrator (Karen White) at first, but ..."

Now I would love to reread the Chicago Stars series by listening to it! Enjoy.

message 6: by Jonetta (new)

Denise ~The Procrastinating Book Diva~ wrote: "I've been listening to mostly sports romances lately and just finished Most Valuable Playboy by Lauren Blakely. It fit the bill for my need as of late - light hearted & low angst. Zachary Webber..."

I’ve got to listen to a book by this author.

message 7: by KathyB (new)

KathyB  (kathybrown) | 650 comments "KathyB wrote: "Next up Natural Born Charmer (Chicago Stars, #7) by Susan Elizabeth PhillipsNatural Born Charmerby Susan Elizabeth Phillips Natural Born Charmer by Susan Elizabeth Phillips. I read this one years ago, I'm looking forward to listening this time around.

Jonetta wrote: Now I would love to reread the Chicago Stars series by listening to it! Enjoy..."

My local library recently added a number of SEP books in audio format, its been fun revisiting these wonderful stories. The fantastic narration by Anna Fields makes them extra special!

message 8: by Denise ~The Procrastinating Book Diva~ (last edited Oct 03, 2017 05:27PM) (new)

Denise ~The Procrastinating Book Diva~ (procrastinating_bookdiva) | 17 comments Jonetta wrote: "I’ve got to listen to a book by this author."

FYI....recently discovered he also narrates books under the name Jacob Morgan as well.

message 9: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Lechuga-Huber (dungeonsndrama) | 24 comments I just finished Dirty Filthy Rich Love Dirty Filthy Rich Love (Dirty Duet, #2) by Laurelin Paige . It's been a while since I read the first book and I almost forgot about the second one coming out but I was really happy with it.

I am going to be starting on After We Fall After We Fall by Melanie Harlow . It's my first Melanie Harlow book. I've been on a Meghan March kick lately so I'm trying to change it up.

message 10: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1329 comments Anybody has read the Winston brother series by Penny Reid? I've read the first two books in the series (I just have a funny story and need somebody to share it with.)

message 11: by Moriah (new)

Moriah | 497 comments Started The Wicked Cousin The Wicked Cousin (Rockcliffe, #4) by Stella Riley by Stella Riley narrated by Alex Wyndham.

message 12: by KathyB (new)

KathyB  (kathybrown) | 650 comments D.G. wrote: "Anybody has read the Winston brother series by Penny Reid? I've read the first two books in the series (I just have a funny story and need somebody to share it with.)"

I've read all of them, my favorite is Beard Science (Winston Brothers, #3) by Penny Reid Beard Science.

message 13: by hammerpixie (new)

hammerpixie | 73 comments KathyB wrote: "D.G. wrote: "Anybody has read the Winston brother series by Penny Reid? I've read the first two books in the series (I just have a funny story and need somebody to share it with.)"

I've read all o..."

Agreed! Loved Beard Science. I also enjoyed Dating-Ish from her Knitting series.

message 14: by hammerpixie (last edited Oct 07, 2017 10:44PM) (new)

hammerpixie | 73 comments I REALLY enjoyed Christina Lauren's newest:
Autoboyography by Christina Lauren
Autoboyography

Also enjoyed:
The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue by Mackenzi Lee
The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue

Sadly, did not finish this one:
Trickery (Curse of the Gods, #1) by Jaymin Eve Trickery

message 15: by hammerpixie (new)

hammerpixie | 73 comments Fiercely Emma (Cake Series Book Three) by J. Bengtsson
Fiercely Emma

Anybody else listened to this one? I thought it was great. The hero's job as a Hollywood stuntman was so fun. He also had one of the most absurdly fantastic yet somehow believable back stories I've read in awhile.

And I keep thinking about the pack of wild kids at his family home. The dialogue was so refreshing. I think those kids could carry their own book!

message 16: by Jonetta (last edited Oct 08, 2017 01:09AM) (new)

hammerpixie wrote: "I REALLY enjoyed Christina Lauren's newest:..."

One of my friends RAVED about Autoboyography.

message 17: by Book (new)

Book (1000books) | 10 comments Samantha wrote: "It's October! Tell us what romance you are listening to this month."

I have listened to I AM HAVING SO MUCH FUN HERE WITHOUT YOU three times and plan another this month. The narrator is Sam Devereau, who is British. This seems to be the only romance/women's fiction he has done. It made my enjoyment so much better because I enjoyed every minute of it. Do any of you have suggestions for other British male narrators?

message 18: by Jonetta (last edited Oct 08, 2017 11:55AM) (new)

Have you listened to The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion? Aside from it being a wonderful book, Dan O’Grady delivers a wonderful performance.
The Rosie Project (Don Tillman, #1) by Graeme Simsion

message 19: by Jonetta (new)

Also, One Plus One by Jojo Moyes has four narrators. Ben Elliot and Steven France are the male voices. I loved this story.
One Plus One by Jojo Moyes

message 20: by Book (new)

Book (1000books) | 10 comments Thank you both. I listened to the samples. Liked them. Will now use my free Audible next month to get one of them.

message 21: by Melanie♥ (new)

Melanie♥ (meliaann) | 130 comments I just finished listening to Kristen Ashley's At Peace (The 'Burg, #2) by Kristen Ashley At Peace. I gave the story 4+ stars, but the narrator just about drove me crazy with "mouth noises". Her voices and tone were just fine, but those swallowing sounds almost made me abandon it.

message 22: by Moriah (new)

Moriah | 497 comments If you like historical a, Nicholas Boulton and Alex Wyndham are amazing.

message 23: by Book (new)

Book (1000books) | 10 comments Jonetta wrote: "Also, One Plus One by Jojo Moyes has four narrators. Ben Elliot and Steven France are the male voices. I loved this story.
One Plus One by Jojo Moyes"

I have not read Moyes' books. Are they romances?

message 24: by Jonetta (new)

They have romantic elements. Not all of them have traditional happy ever after endings.

message 25: by Jonetta (new)

Melanie♥ wrote: "I just finished listening to Kristen Ashley's At Peace (The 'Burg, #2) by Kristen AshleyAt Peace. I gave the story 4+ stars, but the narrator just about drove me crazy with "mouth noises". Her v..."

Grrrr how I hate those kind of noises!!! You find yourself listening for them instead of the story.

message 26: by Book (new)

Book (1000books) | 10 comments Jonetta wrote: "They have romantic elements. Not all of them have traditional happy ever after endings."

Jonetta wrote: "They have romantic elements. Not all of them have traditional happy ever after endings."
Thanks

message 27: by Jonetta (new)

Book wrote: "Thank you both. I listened to the samples. Liked them. Will now use my free Audible next month to get one of them."

That’s great!

message 28: by hammerpixie (new)

hammerpixie | 73 comments Moriah wrote: "If you like historical a, Nicholas Boulton and Alex Wyndham are amazing."

Agreed Moriah! Boulton narrated two of my all-time favorites:

Flowers from the Storm by Laura Kinsale
Flowers from the Storm by Laura Kinsale

Glitterland by Alexis Hall.
Glitterland (Glitterland, #1) by Alexis Hall

I don't think this fits in romance, but in terms of excellent narration with a British accent, you can't do much better than Jeremy Irons' recording of Lolita.

message 29: by hammerpixie (last edited Oct 08, 2017 08:16PM) (new)

hammerpixie | 73 comments Jonetta wrote: "hammerpixie wrote: "I REALLY enjoyed Christina Lauren's newest:..."

One of my friends RAVED about Autoboyography."

The early reviews were so amazing I was afraid it wouldn't live up to the hype. It absolutely did and then some.
Plus, there's a great Q & A at the end between the authors and narrator. It made me appreciate the book even more.

message 30: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1329 comments KathyB wrote: "D.G. wrote: "Anybody has read the Winston brother series by Penny Reid? I've read the first two books in the series (I just have a funny story and need somebody to share it with.)"

I've read all o..."

Ok, here's the funny story!!!

So at work there's this tall, bearded, blue-eyed, in good shape, hot guy who I've previously admired. Just the other, he crossed my path and as I saw him, two words came to my mind:

Cletus Winston!

Just as I thought this, I put my hand to my mouth trying to stifle laughter and then he LOOKED AT ME!!! I have no idea of what he could have thought, as I was looking his way when I started holding my laughter. He probably thinks I'm some sort of psycho!!! Hahahaha!!

(Looking at the positive, now I have an image of Cletus Winston in my mind for when I read his book...)

message 31: by KathyB (new)

KathyB  (kathybrown) | 650 comments D.G. wrote: "Looking at the positive, now I have an image of Cletus Winston in my mind for when I read his book...) )"

..."

I was at an Oktoberfest event yesterday and there were so many bearded men. Lots of Winston men inspiration!

** FYI - All of the Winston Brothers books are available with Kindle Unlimited membership, the audible can be added for $7.49.

message 32: by Monica (new)

Monica | 61 comments D.G. wrote: "KathyB wrote: "D.G. wrote: "Anybody has read the Winston brother series by Penny Reid? I've read the first two books in the series (I just have a funny story and need somebody to share it with.)"

..."

Winston men in the wild, that's a lucky sighting. I've read the first two books and loved them. I'm looking forward to listening to the rest.

message 33: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1329 comments Monica wrote: "Winston men in the wild, that's a lucky sighting. I've read the first two books and loved them."

Hahaha, lucky indeed!!!

KathyB - Do you know when book #4 is coming out in audio?

message 34: by KathyB (new)

KathyB  (kathybrown) | 650 comments D.G. wrote: "KathyB - Do you know when book #4 is coming out in audio?"

I haven't seen a release date for the audiobook Beard in Mind (Winston Brothers, #4) by Penny Reid Beard in Mind. I liked the book, but I doubt I'll get the add on audio with Amazon. I haven't been buying as many audible books since the prices went up a few months. I'm hoping their sales are down, and that they realize a starting price of $7.49 - 12.49+ for the audio upgrade is hurting sales.

On a positive note, I'm finally getting around to listening to all of the books I purchased before the prices went up. I had a hard time passing on a upgrade when prices started at 1.99. I'm definitely more selective now.

message 35: by Trish (new)

Trish R. KathyB wrote: "D.G. wrote: "KathyB - Do you know when book #4 is coming out in audio?"

I haven't seen a release date for the audiobook Beard in Mind (Winston Brothers, #4) by Penny ReidBeard in Mind. I liked the..."

I agree 100%, Kathy. I can't even believe that some of the short stories and novellas with 113, 117, 120 pages are $7.49. Who is audible kidding with these prices. I'm so glad I bought a lot of $1.99 audios before they went up. I read where the owner of audible/amazon/goodreads is worth 89 BILLION dollars! That's not enough? He had to raise the audible prices? I'll be glad when a website as easy as audible is to navigate with as many books shows up. I hate when someone has a monolopy on something.

message 36: by hammerpixie (last edited Oct 10, 2017 08:54PM) (new)

hammerpixie | 73 comments Jonetta wrote: "Have you listened to The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion? Aside from it being a wonderful book, Dan O’Grady delivers a wonderful performance.
The Rosie Project (Don Tillman, #1) by Graeme Simsion

Jonetta, Thank you SO much for posting about The Rosie Project.

I've seen this on various best seller lists for awhile, but for some reason I thought it was geared toward teens. Maybe Rosie sounded like a young person's name? Maybe it was the cover styling? I have no idea.

Anyway, I saw your post, bought the book and listened to it over the past couple of days. I absolutely loved it! You were right about the narrator too. He was fantastic, a perfect match.

Thank you again for the recommendation!

message 37: by hammerpixie (new)

hammerpixie | 73 comments Denise ~The Procrastinating Book Diva~ wrote: "I've been listening to mostly sports romances lately and just finished Most Valuable Playboy by Lauren Blakely. It fit the bill for my need as of late - light hearted & low angst. Zachary Webber..."

One of my recent favorite sports themed:
The Wall of Winnipeg and Me by Mariana Zapata
The Wall of Winnipeg and Me

message 38: by hammerpixie (new)

hammerpixie | 73 comments D.G. wrote: "KathyB wrote: "D.G. wrote: "Anybody has read the Winston brother series by Penny Reid? I've read the first two books in the series (I just have a funny story and need somebody to share it with.)"

..."

Too funny! Now you have your own "Cletus" to admire at work!

message 39: by hammerpixie (new)

hammerpixie | 73 comments Trish wrote: ". . .
"I'll be glad when a website as easy as audible is to navigate with as many books shows up. I hate when someone has a monolopy on something."

Me too.
It would be awesome if one site included all the big ratings on one page. If I see a highly rated book on audible, I usually end up going to goodreads, Amazon, iTunes, etc. to check ratings before making the purchase.

message 40: by Book (new)

Book (1000books) | 10 comments Me too but when I read reviews I want to know if the narrator's voice matches the story. I love Laura Griffin's books so I bought an Audible of one and can't listen to it. I haven't been able to write a review because I don't want to hurt the narrator's feelings but if she is the only one I won't purchase any more Audibles of her books.

message 41: by Jonetta (new)

hammerpixie wrote: "Anyway, I saw your post, bought the book and listened to it over the past couple of days. I absolutely loved it! You were right about the narrator too. He was fantastic, a perfect match.

Thank you again for the recommendation! ..."

Yay!!!! I love that you loved it.

message 42: by Jonetta (new)

Book wrote: "Me too but when I read reviews I want to know if the narrator's voice matches the story. I love Laura Griffin's books so I bought an Audible of one and can't listen to it. I haven't been able to wr..."

If it’s the same one I listened to I understand completely. I won the audiobook and didn’t notice the narrator who I’d had prior terrible experience with another book. I always listen to samples now if I’m unfamiliar with the narrator.

message 43: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 1960 comments Mod
Samples save me a lot of time now.

message 44: by Melanie♥ (last edited Oct 11, 2017 07:35AM) (new)

Melanie♥ (meliaann) | 130 comments Book wrote: "Me too but when I read reviews I want to know if the narrator's voice matches the story. I love Laura Griffin's books so I bought an Audible of one and can't listen to it. I haven't been able to wr..."

I think it's important to be honest (in a professional way!) and let others know about a bad narrator. I've wasted money that I wish I had back because of this. If they are bad, then an honest review gives them the opportunity to improve and if they take it the wrong way, then at least other purchasers know not to buy.

eta: Samples are a lifesaver!

message 45: by Trish (new)

Trish R. Melanie♥ wrote: "Book wrote: "Me too but when I read reviews I want to know if the narrator's voice matches the story. I love Laura Griffin's books so I bought an Audible of one and can't listen to it. I haven't be..."

Samples are only a "lifesaver" IF the narrator does both a woman's and man's voice correctly. There's nothing worse than a female narrator doing a man's "deep, gravelly voice" only to come out sounding just like a girl. I can put up with a man not doing a woman's voice properly, some women really do have deep voices, but there's nothing worse than a hero sounding like a female. And I'm surprised how many female narrators, in 2017, still just "read the book" and don't care to lower their voices and read without any emotions whatsoever.

message 46: by Book (new)

Book (1000books) | 10 comments Trish, I do not want to sound unsupportive of women narrators but you described exactly why I prefer men. They can manage a woman's voice if they don't overdo it but I have been put off by women trying to do male dialogue. I looked at my audibles and most are narrated by men.

message 47: by Trish (new)

Trish R. Book wrote: "Trish, I do not want to sound unsupportive of women narrators but you described exactly why I prefer men. They can manage a woman's voice if they don't overdo it but I have been put off by women tr..."

I don't care about being unsupportive of women narrators if they aren't worth a damn when it comes to doing a good job at narration. I, too, prefer male narrators, but there are some great women narrators as well: Kirsten Potter, Mary Jane Wells, Amy McFadden, Beverly Crick (sometimes), Ashford McNab. Tanya Eby and Stevie Zimmerman just to name a few. However, all their earlier books weren't all that good but they practiced until they got better. Most men are really good with women's voices BUT as much as I love Sebastian York's narrations he doesn't even try to sound even a little feminine, other than that he could read the dictionary to me and I'd be thrilled. LOL

message 48: by hammerpixie (new)

hammerpixie | 73 comments Trish wrote: "Book wrote: "Trish, I do not want to sound unsupportive of women narrators but you described exactly why I prefer men. They can manage a woman's voice if they don't overdo it but I have been put of..."

Trish, we're on the same page about Sebastion York. Love him, but female voices just aren't his strong suit (and accents -- but that's another topic). That being said, I've bought books based solely on him being the narrator.

For me, a bad sample nixes a purchase, whereas a good sample still doesn't guarantee the entire book will be great.

Denise ~The Procrastinating Book Diva~ (procrastinating_bookdiva) | 17 comments hammerpixie wrote: "One of my recent favorite sports themed:
The Wall of Winnipeg and Me by Mariana Zapata
The Wall of Winnipeg and Me
"

Totally agree!! It was my first Mariana Z book and definitely will not be my last. Clocking in at nearly 16 hrs, I almost passed it by but after 10 mins I was hooked :)

Denise ~The Procrastinating Book Diva~ (procrastinating_bookdiva) | 17 comments Love Sebastian York, but you ladies are right - his female voices leave a lot to be desired. However, his voice just does "it" for me so I can listen to him read anything - and yes Trish I'm with you on even a dictionary!!!!
Like I've previously posted, my new go to male narrator is Zachary Webber (aka Jacob Morgan). His female voices are pretty good & much better than Sebastian York's.
My all time favorite narrator is Susan Ericksen. Her narration of the "In Death..." series is solely responsible for not only making it my all time fave series but my love of audiobooks in general. I've listened to some really good female narrators, but IMO none of them even come close to her level of perfection!!!

« previous 1 3
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.