The Catholic Book Club discussion

Under an orange sky (Solar System, #1)
This topic is about Under an orange sky
Under an Orange Sky > 7. Any interesting quotes?

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

John Seymour | 1807 comments Mod
7. Any interesting quotes? Were there any scenes you found particularly interesting?

Mariangel | 503 comments Irene's discussion with her roommates seems very relevant to what people discuss these days online, regarding many topics.

I am translating from Spanish, so it may not be identical to the English version of the book:

"It's true, Irene -Inge added- You seem to believe you are smarter or better than everyone else. Don't you realize you are alone? Nobody agrees with you. Is this the concept you have of democracy? Do you believe that your opinion must prevail upon all of us?"

"Why not, if you are mistaken? Good and evil, truth and false, do not depend on the opinion of the majority. Democracy applies to other things. In science and in morality it has nothing to say."

I had the same thought, Mariangel, when I read that.

Manuel Alfonseca | 1380 comments Mod
Mariangel wrote: "Irene's discussion with her roommates seems very relevant to what people discuss these days online, regarding many topics.
..."

This is a post in my blog about this subject:
http://populscience.blogspot.com/2014...

Fonch | 1104 comments Manuel wrote: "Mariangel wrote: "Irene's discussion with her roommates seems very relevant to what people discuss these days online, regarding many topics.
..."

http..."

It is a very interesting the debate between Mari Angel and Manuel Alfonseca. Mr. Alfonseca and me have spoken in a lot of ocassions. I totally agree with the author in his reflections about "Te boy striped Pyjamas" one of the most emotivist, and false books and i have everread, and perhaps the worse of this book was the ending, because it is a proof of the poor knowledge of the author of the human being and the history. About the posibility that something it is supported by the majority is the fair. It is a Locke`s fallacy, that he said the the parliament could decide that it is good and evil. The crowds and the parliament can not decide about that it is fair or unfair. The people sometimes it is not rational especially the crowded, besides Gramsci, or Marcuse said that the crowded could be manipulated by the governors that they changed their mind of the good and evil. Not only thst in ocassions the people choose the most evil option, in ocassions can be wrong. For example if we had voted heliocentrism in the 17th or the Theory of Evolution woyld have been accepted because the majority thought that they were not truth, until the evidences proves that they were truth. C.S. Lewis spoke in his book The abolition of the man about the natural law, and the majority of the civilizations agree in the more essential points to this thing called Natural Law, for example without this Saint Paul had not preached the evangelion with success out of Israel. The christianity triumph because it was the best adapted belief to the natural law. Aslan in Chronicles of Narnia had called the unfathomable magic.

Manuel wrote: "Mariangel wrote: "Irene's discussion with her roommates seems very relevant to what people discuss these days online, regarding many topics.
..."

http..."

I think the ending of The Boy in the Striped Pajamas is using irony. The book was published in 2006, after Rwanda, after Bosnia, during South Sudan.

Manuel Alfonseca | 1380 comments Mod
John wrote: I think the ending of The Boy in the Striped Pajamas is using irony. The book was published in 2006, after Rwanda, after Bosnia, during South Sudan"

I didn't see it as irony. I think he was saying that something like the nazi ideology in Europe cannot possibly happen now. If so, he was very much mistaken. Specially when history has become a forgotten subject in Western education.

But perhaps you are right and I just didn't see the irony.

message 8: by Fonch (last edited Oct 27, 2017 06:18AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Fonch | 1104 comments Manuel wrote: "John wrote: I think the ending of The Boy in the Striped Pajamas is using irony. The book was published in 2006, after Rwanda, after Bosnia, during South Sudan"

I didn't see it as irony. I think h..."

I neither saw the irony in Neverwhere, although i say the same as my friend Alfonseca. It is possible that he was ironical but i did not realize of the John Boyne`s intention. Despite this i did not like the book.

Mariangel | 503 comments This one is from chapter 16: "We are human beings because we are responsible."

And going back to the one I cited before: "Don't you realize you are alone? Nobody agrees with you"

Compare to:

CREON (To Antigone):
Of all these Thebans none so deems but thou.