READ 100+ BOOKS IN 2017 discussion

October challenge

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sheila (new)

Sheila | 79 comments Mod
Wow! I cannot believe summer is over. Autumn is here. I've done a lot of reading in September. I hope I can read as much in October. So onto the challenge:

1. Read a book that begins with an E in the title.
2. It's autumn. Read a book with trees on the cover.
3. Halloween is coming. Read a horror or paranormal book.
4. October 14 is National Motorcycle Ride Day and the 27th is International Bandanna Day so read a book with a motorcycle on the cover.
5. Teen Read Week is the 8-14 so read a YA/Teen book.
6. October is National Crime Prevention Month so read a mystery.
7. Read a book that won a prize.
8. Read a book about books.
9. Your choice.

message 2: by Sheila (last edited Dec 01, 2017 10:03AM) (new)

Sheila | 79 comments Mod
I'm ready to go for October.

3/9, 9 books

1. Read a book that begins with an E in the title--Earl of Scandal by Mary Gillgannon--finished 10/1/17 Earl of Scandal (London Lords) by Mary Gillgannon .
2. It's autumn. Read a book with trees on the cover.
3. Halloween is coming. Read a horror or paranormal book. Cast From the Earth by Leandra Vane--finished 10/1/17 Cast From the Earth by Leandra Vane
4. October 14 is National Motorcycle Ride Day and the 27th is International Bandanna Day so read a book with a motorcycle on the cover.
5. Teen Read Week is the 8-14 so read a YA/Teen book.
6. October is National Crime Prevention Month so read a mystery. A Story to Kill by Lynn Cahoon--finished 10/31/17 A Story to Kill (Cat Latimer Mystery, #1) by Lynn Cahoon
7. Read a book that won a prize.
8. Read a book about books.
9. Your choice--The Unmentionables by Megan McFerren and Val Prozoroa--finished 10/3/17 The Unmentionables by Megan McFerren

Bonus reads:
beta read--finished 10/1/17
The Ghost Fucker: Hung Like a Dead Man--Fannie Tucker--finished 10/17 The Ghost Fucker Hung like a Dead Man (The Ghost Fucker Chronicles) by Fannie Tucker
Bruce's Big Move by Ryna T. Higgins--finished 10/6/17 Bruce's Big Move by Ryan T. Higgins
Be Quiet! by Ryan T. Higgins--finished 10/6/17 Be Quiet! by Ryan T. Higgins
Mission Impawsible by Melanie James--finished 10/20/17 Mission Impawsible (Karma Inc. Files, #2) by Melanie James

message 3: by Book Concierge (last edited Oct 31, 2017 01:53PM) (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) October Challenge

6 / 9 completed

1. Read a book that begins with an E in the title.

2. Trees on the cover - Christmas Eve at Friday Harbor (Friday Harbor, #1) by Lisa Kleypas ✔ – 01Oct17 (in the background)

3. Halloween is coming. Read a horror or paranormal book.

5. Teen Read Week is the 8-14 so read a YA/Teen book - Karma ✔ – 29Oct17

6. October is National Crime Prevention Month so read a mystery - Murder in the Paperback Parlor ✔ – 16oct17

7. Read a book that won a prize - Macavity Award 2008 - In the Woods ✔ - 05Oct17

8. Read a book about books - Living to Tell the Tale ✔ – 07Oct17

9. Your choice - The Three Weissmanns of Westport ✔ – 09Oct17

message 4: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Needled to Death (A Knitting Mystery, # 2) by Maggie Sefton -Maggie Sefton 10-13-17
This was the second book of a fun cozy mystery series. I found it to be well written for its genre with well developed characters. I love the "family" that the protagonist has found because of the Lambspun fiber shop with classes and needed items for spinning, knitting, crocheting, felting, and weaving. And I love the protagonist Kelly and her CPA brain that loves to puzzle out numbers and murders.

A Deadly Yarn (A Knitting Mystery, #3) by Maggie Sefton -Maggie Sefton 10-14-17
This was the third book of a fun cozy mystery series. I found it to be well written for its genre with well developed characters. I love the "family" that the protagonist has found because of the Lambspun fiber shop with classes and needed items for spinning, knitting, crocheting, felting, and weaving. And I love the protagonist Kelly and her CPA brain that loves to puzzle out numbers and murders. The further I get in this series the more I become a huge fan.

The Doublet Affair (Ursula Blanchard, #2) by Fiona Buckley -Fiona Buckley 10-20-17
This novel was the second book of a cozy mystery series set in Queen Elizabeth I's court. The plot was interesting with a fair number of surprising turns, and the characters were drawn fairly well. Again, it was a much slower paced novel than I'm used to for cozy mysteries but perhaps it is more in line with the historical setting as a result. I like the series and will eventually read more of the novels, but I'm in no rush to find them.

Somewhere Safe with Somebody Good (Mitford Years, #12) by Jan Karon -Jan Karon 10-24-17
Here we are back in Mitford, the 12th novel in the series. Father Tim and Cynthia are back home, but the books start to have more pieces of the story told in the points-of-view of Dooley and Lace picking up a younger generation of adults. I really enjoyed this novel and am glad that we aren't done with the fun and sweet town of Mitford and its inhabitants.

Come Rain or Come Shine (Mitford Years, #13) by Jan Karon -Jan Karon 10-25-17
This is the 13th novel in the Mitford series. There are even more pieces of the story told in the points-of-view of Dooley and Lace than in the previous novel in the series, showing that the author's main focus will now be on them, which I think will be especially fun (view spoiler). I really enjoyed this novel and am glad that we aren't done with the fun and sweet town of Mitford and its inhabitants.

An Amish Harvest by Beth Wiseman -Beth Wiseman et al 10-29-17
This was a sweet collection of four Amish novellas. They were reasonably well written, but it's quite hard to make a novella as rich feeling as a full novel; there just isn't enough time spent developing the characters and spinning out a plot. It was a cute read nonetheless.

The Right Thing by Amy Conner -Amy Conner 11-3-17
This was an interesting novel about what true friendship might look like and about what a woman should look for in life rather than settling for what's expected. There were some crazy shenanigans as the story went back and forth in time between Annie's perspective of the girls' childhoods and their current adulthood in order to develop the characters and the plot. I didn't approve of some of the things Annie did, but I can understand them, and I liked seeing her life turn into something real and happy.