The Catholic Book Club discussion

Under an orange sky (Solar System, #1)
This topic is about Under an orange sky
Under an Orange Sky > 3. Who was your favorite character in the novel?

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

John Seymour | 1904 comments Mod
3. Who was your favorite character in the novel?

Fonch | 1264 comments I have not any doubt Steve MacDunn, and the author knows him. Wen i wrote with him every him. In ocassions we speak about Steve MacDunn, besides my favorite Character of the Manuel Alfonseca`s novel. Steve is the main character of the sequel of this novel "Desencent to the hell of Venus", however i must confess that this story liked less than his first part. I do not like very much the spanish jornalist Ferran, and there was not as adventure as Under an orange sky, although it is described the society of the earth a world goverment as the Poul Anderson`s novel, who could degenerated and to convert in a dictatorship, it is the idea of the evil of the second part, but i do not say more in case that somebody want to read it.

Tania (tmartnez) | 105 comments I have to agree that Steve played an important role and was a strong support for Irene; even when he didn't have for a fact that Irene was telling truth, he gave Irene a chance to prove her part...

Fonch | 1264 comments Tania wrote: "I have to agree that Steve played an important role and was a strong support for Irene; even when he didn't have for a fact that Irene was telling truth, he gave Irene a chance to prove her part..."
Besides Steve is the prototype of a religious scientist, and action man.

It seems there were only two likeable characters in the book - Steve and Irene. And Irene certainly was the main character. To me, Steve felt more like a foil for Irene's thoughts and feelings.

Manuel Alfonseca | 1515 comments Mod
John wrote: "It seems there were only two likeable characters in the book - Steve and Irene. And Irene certainly was the main character. To me, Steve felt more like a foil for Irene's thoughts and feelings."

What about the Martian? (;-)

message 7: by Tania (last edited Oct 03, 2017 06:57AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tania (tmartnez) | 105 comments <>

I've found very interesting how are the martians depicted. I guess, the idea of how an extraterrestrial being should be - at least how the media has sold it - is completely different than the one you've presented to us. Are they superior beings?
In what way? Is obvious they are intelligent beings, and for what we can read they have a conscience...

It is fantastic that you imagine them living under the martian soil... I would never expected that.

Umm.. sympathy? Yes, we developed with Irene the sense of sympathy and justice, -Steve is still my fav character -

Tania wrote: "Are they superior beings? In what way? It's obvious they are intelligent beings, and for what we can read, they have a conscience..."

They are superior in the sense that they control their planet more than we do ours and are incapable of doing evil. They are inferior because they are defenseless against us.

It is fantastic that you imagine them living under the Martian soil... I would never have expected that.

Given the facts we know about Mars, it is probably impossible that there is higher life on its surface. On the other hand, the existence of water in the subsoil is considered possible. Therefore...

Tania (tmartnez) | 105 comments They are superior in the sense that they control their planet more than we do ours and are incapable of doing evil. They are inferior because they are defenseless against us...

Are they defenseless?
That's not really what I thought of them.
It is describe that in fact they can do harm if they want (marsquake? ) it's just that they rather have an emissary to deal with peaceful ways...

Am I wrong?

Tania wrote: "Are they defenseles?... Am I wrong? "

Yes. They can do harm if they want, but they are incapable of wanting. They cannot harm another intelligent being, for their mind is not built that way. In other words, they are not fallen. They are not subject to original sin. This makes them defenseless. Irene explains it to Steve in the last chapter.

John said, in a different thread, that Irene was betraying her secret to her lover. But apart from the fact that she is completely alone against the world, and we all need someone we can confide in, the reader needs that explanation too, so I put it there (:-)

Fonch | 1264 comments Manuel wrote: "Tania wrote: "Are they defenseles?... Am I wrong? "

Yes. They can do harm if they want, but they are incapable of wanting. They cannot harm another intelligent being, for their mind is not built t..."

I also think tht in ocasion we need to confess with somebody, besides Steve during the story proves, that you can trust in him. He is gentle, and a person with a high sense of justice. I want to congrat to Alfonseca, because i do not think that there are not life in Mars, perhaps microorganism, but if there are life in Mars, only can be the way that Alfonseca has described in his novel :-).

message 12: by John (new) - rated it 4 stars

Manuel wrote: "Tania wrote: "Are they defenseles?... Am I wrong? "

Yes. They can do harm if they want, but they are incapable of wanting. They cannot harm another intelligent being, for their mind is not built t..."

I would add here that the marsquake was, in the mind of the Martians a demonstration to the humans that Irene was in fact their emissary, and was not intended as a threat. They are incapable of threatening a harm which they are incapable of imagining doing. When they told the humans that if they proceeded with their plans they would kill all of the Martians, they anticipated that would end the terraforming plans.