Cozy Mystery Corner discussion

Featured Series and Cozies > Gethsemane Brown (Murder in G Major) by Alexia Gordon

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nell (last edited Oct 01, 2017 01:22PM) (new)

Nell | 2601 comments Mod
The theme for October 2017 is Music and the featured series is Gethsemane Brown by Alexia Gordon. The MC is a classical musician living in a haunted cottage in an Irish seaside village. The first book in the series, Murder in G Major, won the Lefty Award for Best Debut Mystery and was a finalist for the Agatha Award.

Murder in G Major (Gethsemane Brown Mysteries, #1) by Alexia Gordon

The other book in this series is:
Death in D Minor (Gethsemane Brown Mysteries, #2) by Alexia Gordon
Death in D Minor

Discuss any book in the series here.

message 2: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Munger | 220 comments I just finished this book. I liked it but got confused with all the names on who was who, but enjoyed the ghost, it was different but cute

message 3: by Barb (new)

Barb | 684 comments I've read both of these, and I have to say that I liked the first book better than the second. I've been a music geek all my life and loved the music-related talk in the first book, but that was (imo) sadly missing in the second. I'm hoping that the third book brings the music back into the series.

message 4: by Casceil (new)

Casceil | 15 comments I've just started reading this. I love the setting--very atmospheric. The interaction between the MC and the ghost looks as though it will be entertaining.

message 5: by Nell (new)

Nell | 2601 comments Mod
I read the first one earlier this year. I'll be reading the newest one later this month. I really like the MC and her interactions with the ghost conductor. It ended with a cliff hanger so I want to see what happens.

I don't remember being confused about names with this one but I read it on my Kindle. That makes it easy to do a name search whenever I'm not sure which character so-and-so is.

message 6: by Casceil (new)

Casceil | 15 comments So, wait. I just read a few chapters of this book, and you're telling me it ends in cliff-hanger?

message 7: by Barb (new)

Barb | 684 comments It's been awhile since I read the first book, but I don't remember a cliff-hanger as far as the mystery itself goes. I'm hoping Nell will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the 'cliff hanger' relates more to the characters and where the next in the series might go.

message 8: by Casceil (new)

Casceil | 15 comments Okay, if it's what Barb describes, that is not unusual.

message 9: by Nell (new)

Nell | 2601 comments Mod
Barb is correct. The mystery is resolved and we find out who the murderer is.

The ending I refer to concerns a character the MC has a relationship with. I am curious to see what happens in the next book.

I agree, Casceil - that's not unusual in a series where character development is one of the draws.

message 10: by Nell (new)

Nell | 2601 comments Mod
Comment from Casceil:

I finished the book. I enjoyed it. I will probably read the second one. Now I understand what was meant by "cliffhanger"(view spoiler)

message 11: by Alice (last edited Oct 23, 2017 01:30PM) (new)

Alice | 393 comments I just stated Murder in G Major. It is very good. Really enjoying it. Will report back when I am done.

I finished it quite enjoyable good mystery and characters. Highly recommend.

message 12: by Nell (new)

Nell | 2601 comments Mod
Started the newest in this series, Death in D Minor