Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

Fahrenheit 451
This topic is about Fahrenheit 451
Ray Bradbury Collection > Fahrenheit 451 - NO Spoilers

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bob | 4959 comments Mod
Back in 2013 when this book was selected there was only a Spoiler thread set up. This thread is the NO Spoiler thread to be used to discuss general information about the book or author.

No Spoiler Thread

message 2: by Sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3215 comments I read this last year so I won't be re-reading but this is my favorite of the dystopian novels I've read. Partly because it's the closest to something that could actually happen. I hope everyone enjoys it.

Christine | 1217 comments I started this one last night, and I'll jump into the spoiler thread to discuss after I finish it. Who else will be joining the discussion this month?

Rosemarie | 1574 comments I will be reading this. I wasn't going to join another goodreads group until I saw that your group was going to read this book, and other great books, so here I am.
I am really looking forward to the discussion since I didn't like the book very much the first time I read it. But that was a long long time ago!

Christine | 1217 comments Rosemarie wrote: "I will be reading this. I wasn't going to join another goodreads group until I saw that your group was going to read this book, and other great books, so here I am.
I am really looking forward to t..."

Welcome Rosemarie! I look forward to discussing with you. :-)

Francisca | 368 comments Christine wrote: "I started this one last night, and I'll jump into the spoiler thread to discuss after I finish it. Who else will be joining the discussion this month?"

I re-read this last year, so I'll just be following the discussion.

This was a classic example of book-ruined-by-bad-English teacher for me: we spent nearly two months on it in 8th grade, overanalyzing the (mostly imagined) symbolism - thank goodness I got pulled out to an advanced reader group to read Dandelion Wine while the rest of the class finished this one. On re-reading it last year (sans overanalysis) I really enjoyed it!

Sarah (sasstel) | 426 comments This was required reading for me way back in junior high. I liked it more than I thought I would, though it was never a favorite of mine. I should probably give it a reread as an adult, but I don't know that I'll have time this month.

message 8: by Sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3215 comments Rosemarie wrote: "I will be reading this. I wasn't going to join another goodreads group until I saw that your group was going to read this book, and other great books, so here I am.
I am really looking forward to t..."

welcome Rosemarie! You're going to love this group.

message 9: by Sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3215 comments Francisca wrote: "Christine wrote: "I started this one last night, and I'll jump into the spoiler thread to discuss after I finish it. Who else will be joining the discussion this month?"

I re-read this last year, ..."

I'm so glad you were able to like it after that Francisca. It's great that you gave it another try.

Rosemarie | 1574 comments Thanks.

message 11: by Renee (new) - added it

Renee | 864 comments I remember reading this in high school, but don't remember much about it, because it was so long ago!

message 12: by 黑锅 (new)

黑锅 | 1 comments There seem to be only one copy of it left unborrowed in the local library (this book must be popular) which is also nowhere to be found when I went down to borrow... sad...

Rosemarie | 1574 comments This book was the book for "Everybody Reads" in Toronto a couple of years ago, so our library system has lots of copies. I hope you can find a copy.

Rachel (rayshellkay) | 3 comments This will be my first time reading this book. It's actually a happy coincidence because I started this book over the summer but misplaced it, so this gives me an excuse to buy another copy and start again!

message 15: by Lena (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lena | 336 comments Just started!

message 16: by Lena (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lena | 336 comments 12% in. Reminds me of Harrison Bergeron.

Rosemarie | 1574 comments I am about halfway through the first section. It is an engrossing story so far.

message 18: by Lena (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lena | 336 comments 28% in. “Sometimes I drive all night and come back and you don’t know it. It’s fun out in the country. You hit rabbits, sometimes you hit dogs. Go take the beetle.”
Shudder. These cold thoughtlessly cruel people.

Rosemarie | 1574 comments After finishing the first part, I think it would be a nightmare for me to live in that world.

message 20: by Lena (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lena | 336 comments Finished. I found it chillingly relevant and engagingly short.
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Karin I liked this both times I've read it--once back in high school and once a few years ago when one of my kids was studying it when still homeschooling (wow, more years than I realized as she went back to public school in 2010) but I still remember it quite well as a result of the discussions we had, etc.

Rosemarie | 1574 comments I read this book when I had just finished high school, and after watching the movie version by Truffaut. I didn't like it then, but this time around I was amazed at the powerful writing and the very important message. It is a great book.

message 23: by Katy, New School Classics (new) - rated it 4 stars

Katy (kathy_h) | 9558 comments Mod
Through Part 1 of the book. I don't remember reading this book, but am very familiar with the story.

katie | 73 comments I took this as a nudge to finally read this book that has been on my list for a million years. Got it from the library last week and I'm already almost done! It's just as good as I knew Bradbury would be, and I'll be posting soon on the spoiler threads as well.

Kayla (kaylavano) Picked this up from the library today. I last read this book about 15 years ago. At the very least, hoping I finally figure out how to spell Fahrenheit correctly.

message 26: by Katy, New School Classics (new) - rated it 4 stars

Katy (kathy_h) | 9558 comments Mod
:) Kayla

Melanti | 2384 comments Huh. I could have sworn I'd mentioned this before but it must have been in a different thread.

Fahrenheit 451 is actually a composite of a few stories that Bradbury wrote over the years, including a novella length version. Its not quite a fix-up novel, but almost.

If anyone is interested in seeing the original versions, you can find them here:
A Pleasure to Burn: Fahrenheit 451 Stories

(If you are interested, I'd suggest spreading out the stories as much as you can. There's a lot of repetitiveness in the collection since it's every story he wrote containing the same themes as the novel.)

message 28: by Kayla (last edited Oct 19, 2017 07:25PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kayla (kaylavano) I'm glad I reread this, although I I didn't find the rereading process particularly enjoyable. The mood and atmosphere of the story stressed me out.

I've also been listening to the audiobook of I, Robot, which has been a fun juxtaposition.

Victor *I was in the pool!* Not what I expected so I was pleasantly surprised with the story.

Fahrenheit 451 Review

#LateToTheParty #BetterLateThanNever

Jen from Quebec :0) (muppetbaby99) | 216 comments Victor *we were on a break!* wrote: "Not what I expected so I was pleasantly surprised with the story.

Fahrenheit 451 Review

#LateToTheParty #BetterLateThanNever"

"Better late than never" indeed! WORD. I am re-reading this one lately as well, as the 1st time was SO long ago that it SEEMS like I am only reading it for the 1st time NOW... #DidThatMake Sense ? --Jen from Quebec :0)

Rosemarie | 1574 comments That make sense. I have read some books so long ago that it is like reading them for the first time. As we have more life experiences, our attitude to a book may change as well. I really enjoyed the book a lot more this time.

message 32: by Lynn, Revisit the Shelf (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynn (lynnsreads) | 3289 comments Mod
The dystopian classic Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury is our upcoming read for next month. Please use this thread to tell us if you are interested in reading this book, but please save the reviews and spoilers for our spoiler thread next month once we start reading. Bradbury is a favorite author of mine so I am always glad when he is voted in. Are you planning on reading this with us?

message 33: by Lucy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lucy Tobier | 1 comments I am excited to read this one!

message 34: by Erin (new) - added it

Erin (erinm31) | 609 comments I plan to — Bradbury is another author I’ve not yet read and this will also check off the square for science fiction / fantasy classic for my 2020 Bingo. =)

Tara  | 103 comments I read this book earlier this year, and I really enjoyed it. I had read Bradbury as a teenager, but more in The Martian Chronicles vein than this. You can definitely see why this is considered a classic.

Rosemarie | 1574 comments This is an amazing book.

Shaina | 541 comments I plan to read this book next month. It is on my Old and New TBR challenge too!

I loved his shorty story we read in August so I'm all for it.

Michaela | 674 comments I´ll definitely read it, as I know the film but never read the book.

shi ❦ (bloomingsouls) | 2 comments I have this book and I've been meaning to read it for quite some time, but I never got myself to do it. I definitely plan to join this read!

message 40: by Toviel (new) - added it

Toviel (exagge) | 63 comments There was a period in high school when I read every dystopian novel I could find, but I missed this one because the book was always checked out of both the public library and the school library! Ended up missing it entirely up until now.

I’ve seen the ‘60s movie and greatly enjoyed it. If I have the time, I’d love to join this read!

message 41: by Jyoti (new)

Jyoti (miss_jc) I have been wanting to read this book for soooooo long.. but I haven’t gotten around to reading it yet!!

message 42: by Lynn, Revisit the Shelf (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynn (lynnsreads) | 3289 comments Mod
Jyoti wrote: "I have been wanting to read this book for soooooo long.. but I haven’t gotten around to reading it yet!!"

The thread will be open when you are ready : )