Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

Old School Classics, Pre-1900 > The Jungle Book - NO spoilers

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6554 comments This is our Old School Classic Group Read for October 2017.

Please use this thread for general, spoiler free discussion of The Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling

If you wish to discuss the plot in more detail, then please use the spoiler thread here

If you would like a free copy of the book, here are some links for online and audio versions:

Project Gutenberg

Amazon UK

Amazon.com

Librivox (there are 3 versions to choose from)

It's also available on the serial reader app (24 issues) for those who use it :)

message 2: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9652 comments Mod
I have a copy of this one. I need to dig it out and join in this month.

message 3: by Phil (new)

Phil J | 627 comments I can't get the soundtrack from the old Disney film out of my head.

message 4: by Francisca (new)

Francisca | 368 comments Phil wrote: "I can't get the soundtrack from the old Disney film out of my head."

I'm having the same "problem"! I feel like going back and re-watching the movie now :) Though I think the later stories are not around Mowgli and Co, so the soundtrack should fade...

message 5: by Michele (new)

Michele | 1012 comments I love Kipling's poetry in this book, it's got such terrific rhythm:

"NOW this is the Law of the Jungle — as old and as true as the sky;
And the Wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the Wolf that shall break it must die.

As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk the Law runneth forward and back —
For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack..."

message 6: by Phil (new)

Phil J | 627 comments Francisca wrote: "I think the later stories are not around Mowgli and Co,"

It alternates between Mowgli stories and non-Mowgli stories.

message 7: by Cynda (new)

Cynda | 3245 comments Hi all. I have a library copy of novel here. It has 2 Jungle Books. Are we reading both? Are we reading more?
Thnx.

message 8: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6554 comments Just the first book, but if you do continue with the second one feel free to let us know your thoughts.

message 9: by Cindy (new)

Cindy  | 58 comments I was a little confused at first. I have never read the Jungle Book. I keep seeing Baloo as a cartoon bear in the Disney animated version. I didn't realize it was a collection of short stories. Does anyone think the White Seal story seems out of place in a book titled The Jungle Book?

message 10: by Melanti (new)

Melanti | 2384 comments Cindy wrote: "Does anyone think the White Seal story seems out of place in a book titled The Jungle Book? ..."

Yes. That one seemed really out of place and didn't fit in at all. There was another about the camp animals that technically fits the Jungle theme, but it still seemed a bit out of place.

message 11: by Anne Marie (new)

Anne Marie | 2 comments Cindy wrote: "Does anyone think the White Seal story seems out of place in a book titled The Jungle Book? "

I just read the White Seal, and I also thought that story seemed out of place with the book title. Then I remember that earlier year I saw the Sea Cows for the first time at the Zoo. They were placed indoor in the rain forrest section. Thus, I began surfing and eventually found out that "jungles in literature can represent a less civilized or unruly space outside the control of civilization". With this definition of jungle, I dear say that the story fits the title. I hope this helps to ease your mind as it did mine.

message 12: by Cynda (new)

Cynda | 3245 comments Pink wrote: "Just the first book, but if you do continue with the second one feel free to let us know your thoughts."

Okay. Thank you for answering. I am starting just now. I was reading A Vindication of the Rights of Woman, a buddy read with some members of this group. Now looking forward to this gem. My first time to read it. Don't remember the older Aladdin movie and don't know the more recent one, so I am fresh here.

message 13: by lethe (new)

lethe | 127 comments Cynda wrote: "Don't remember the older Aladdin movie and don't know the more recent one, so I am fresh here. "

Aladdin has nothing to do with The Jungle Book :)

message 14: by Cynda (new)

Cynda | 3245 comments lethe wrote: "Cynda wrote: "Don't remember the older Aladdin movie and don't know the more recent one, so I am fresh here. "

Aladdin has nothing to do with The Jungle Book :)"

Lol
That Disney does strange things to stories 😀

message 15: by lethe (new)

lethe | 127 comments Cynda wrote: "That Disney does strange things to stories 😀 "

Agreed, but The Jungle Book and Aladdin are two separate Disney films :)

message 16: by Cynda (new)

Cynda | 3245 comments lethe wrote: "Cynda wrote: "That Disney does strange things to stories 😀 "

Agreed, but The Jungle Book and Aladdin are two separate Disney films :)"

😋 I'm funny like that.

message 17: by K L (new)

K L  | 1 comments I have this on my shelf! I will try and read it this month :) I have been meaning to for ages!

message 18: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9652 comments Mod
Lola wrote: "I have this on my shelf! I will try and read it this month :) I have been meaning to for ages!"

Me too -- but I am trying to find which shelf I have hidden this book on.

message 19: by Cynda (new)

Cynda | 3245 comments I am slowly bekng charmed by this book. I may find myself being compelled to read Book 2.

message 20: by Karen (new)

Karen Downes | 12 comments I'm! Cub Scout Leader (Australia) - an older, very experienced Leader recites Kipling from memory at the opening and closing od each Pack night.
Closing is:
When Chil the Kite brings home the night
That Mang the Bat sets free
The beasts are locked in barn and byre
For loosed til dawn are we
For now is the hour of passion and power
Of talon, tush and claw
Oh hear the call, good hunting all
Who keep the Jungle Law.
Good night and good hunting, Pack
(Cubs respond): Goodnight and good hunting, Akrla and Leaders.

message 21: by Cynda (new)

Cynda | 3245 comments I am starting Book 2. I am curious, and must follow my curiosity. I know I will be glad I did it. So here I go.