Goodreads Ireland discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Call for new moderators

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emma (last edited Oct 01, 2017 02:43AM) (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) I’m putting out a call for new moderators for the group.

I would like to appoint 3 new moderators or more if sufficient people are interested. This allows people to spread the work out. Being moderator mostly entails running the polls and encouraging the discussions. Ideally you should be an active member of the group.

If there is no interest in new mods then I will be forced to wind the group down. I hope that won’t be the case.

If you would like to become a mod express your interest below. People can also suggest others for mod. Other members should support the suggestions for mod.

I no longer have the time to dedicate to the group which is why I want to appoint some new mods. This is my SOLE reason for wanting to step down. I will be dealing with any outstanding issues in the group so the new mods can start with a clean slate.

Bookworm with Kids I am sorry to hear that you may have to wind down the group. I am not sure what time commitment is involved in being a moderator as I tend to have a lot of things going on mist evenings with my children. But I would hate to see the group going so I will submit my name for consideration. There are far more active members on here than me and if they were prepared to take on the job, I would be happy to remove my name. Thanks.

message 3: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) Thanks Bookworm. Mostly it’s about having time to check in on discussions and being in a position to participate in the discussions. For active members that tends to be not too onerous. My hope would be to have a number of mods as I think there more of them there is the easier it is to spread the work around.

message 4: by Cphe (new)

Cphe | 0 comments Unfortinately I already moderate a group but hopefully some of the older members will step in and lend a hand. I'm not taking any sides but I would like to nominate Susan as she does participate in a lot of group reads and is well known to all here

message 5: by Cphe (new)

Cphe | 0 comments I also nominate Thomas I think he would do a sterling job

message 6: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) Interesting suggestions Cphe. Certainly both active members here.

Just to throw out something for people to consider based on my experience of being mod for this group. At times discussions can become heated. Mods need to be able to set aside their own views, put on the mod hat, and take a balanced view on the issue. You need to be able to take that step back and consider all sides. Having multiple mods will help with this aspect as different people can bring different perspectives.

message 7: by Isabella (new)

Isabella (livbet) | 511 comments I currently have very little time even to read/write, as my mum has gone into a care home and I'm trying (alone :( ) to sort out her affairs, sell her property etc. I hope you find some people who can give the board the attention it deserves.

message 8: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) Isabella wrote: "I currently have very little time even to read/write, as my mum has gone into a care home and I'm trying (alone :( ) to sort out her affairs, sell her property etc. I hope you find some people who ..."

Sorry to hear that Isabella. That must be hard.

message 9: by Thomas (new)

Thomas (tom471) | 1545 comments Mod
I am willing to try, but can't guarantee success.

message 10: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) I think you’d make a good mod Thomas. You make some interesting comments about the books you read and I can see you bringing a cool headedness to matters. If some of the others agree I’d be happy to make you a mod.

The same applies to Bookworm who has also expressed interest.

message 11: by Clare (new)

Clare O'Beara | 148 comments I won't have time at present and already co-mod Green Group, but thanks Emma for your hard work. Good wishes to any volunteers.

message 12: by Susan (last edited Oct 01, 2017 12:19PM) (new)

Susan | 4707 comments I think Thomas and Bookworm are great candidates. I will certainly support them and help them in any way I can. I have to agree with Emma's subtle hint that I am a little too opinionated and outspoken to be a good moderator but I will certainly support these great choices.

Emma, I think you have done a great job. You have introduced some wonderful ideas like the poetry and plays. You have certainly given it your all and I personally appreciate all you have done in a difficult job. Thank you.

message 13: by Gavin (new)

Gavin (bookmad93) | 871 comments I agree up above Thomas from what I can see would make a fantastic Mod.

If I wasn’t so busy with the start of my career, I would add my name in but can’t. I don’t know what happened today but sad to see whatever happened made People leave such a lovely group.

I hope it doesn’t wind down.

message 14: by Cphe (last edited Oct 01, 2017 02:24PM) (new)

Cphe | 0 comments Thomas wrote: "I am willing to try, but can't guarantee success."

You'll be fine Thomas. I also felt the same way when I started. Besides you'll have an experienced Mod in Emma beside you.

message 15: by Thomas (last edited Oct 01, 2017 02:41PM) (new)

Well, I thank everyone for the votes of confidence. As you may have guessed, Liz and I travel quite a bit and Wi-Fi is sometimes not available or erratic or extre-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-mly slow. So I may be a bit spotty at times . Next year we are doing 2 trips--a cruise in Feb and a land tour to England, Wales and Scotland for most of Sept.
Not to mention road trips to visit grans--about 3 times a year.
However, I am going to give it a go.
PS Welcome back Declan and Allan

message 16: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) Brilliant Thomas.

message 17: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) As I said I’d like to appoint a number of new moderators so if anyone else is interested let me know.

message 18: by Allan (new)

Allan Thanks, Thomas!

message 19: by Kara (new)

Kara | 106 comments I'm so sorry to hear that Emma :(
I think Tom and book worm would be great mods. I would love to give it a try but I work close to 60 hours now st my job and I don't feel it right to say I would love to be one but not be able to give my all.

message 20: by Susan (new)

Susan | 4707 comments Thomas wrote: "Well, I thank everyone for the votes of confidence. As you may have guessed, Liz and I travel quite a bit and Wi-Fi is sometimes not available or erratic or extre-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-mly slow. So I may b..."

Which is the trip that you are packing me in your suitcase? Where are you going on the cruise?

By the way, I think you will be wonderful and I can think of nothing better than a moderator who travels and sees the world.

message 21: by Susan (new)

Susan | 4707 comments Kara wrote: "I'm so sorry to hear that Emma :(
I think Tom and book worm would be great mods. I would love to give it a try but I work close to 60 hours now st my job and I don't feel it right to say I would lo..."

Kara, if you work 60 hours a week all you need to do is have a long, hot bath, a strong drink and a good book. :)

message 22: by Thomas (new)

Susan wrote: "Thomas wrote: "Well, I thank everyone for the votes of confidence. As you may have guessed, Liz and I travel quite a bit and Wi-Fi is sometimes not available or erratic or extre-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-mly s..."
Thanks Susan. Cruise is r/t San Diego to Sea of Cortez(Gulf of California). Liz has a prior claim as my companion.

message 23: by Susan (new)

Susan | 4707 comments :) . I should hope so. That's a beautiful cruise. You'll enjoy yourselves.

message 24: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) To throw two more names into the ring (if they are interested) Colleen and Maria would both make good moderators I believe. As I said I’d like to create a few moderators as from my own experience it helps ensure it doesn’t become a burden or a chore.

Bookworm with Kids I think Colleen and Maria would make excellent moderators. They are both quite active in stimulating discussion on our various books throughout the year. Thanks to all for the kind comments.

message 26: by Serf (new)

Serf sorry to see you go Emma, when I was active in the group you always were fantastic. it's a thankless job....hope you get to enjoy more reading time now

message 27: by H (new)

H (hiisdaarkmaaterials) | 430 comments Mod
I’ve not been very active as late in regards to commenting but have been something of a silent watcher. I travel a lot during the day so have plenty of time to be on during those trips & free most evenings/late nights. Willing to throw my hat into the ring and see how I do if you still need the support.

message 28: by Kara (new)

Kara | 106 comments Susan wrote: "Kara wrote: "I'm so sorry to hear that Emma :(
I think Tom and book worm would be great mods. I would love to give it a try but I work close to 60 hours now st my job and I don't feel it right to s..."

That is what i'm planing on doing tonight ;) don't have to head into work till mid afternoon tomorrow, I can finally get catch up on very much needed sleep lol.

message 29: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) Heather wrote: "I’ve not been very active as late in regards to commenting but have been something of a silent watcher. I travel a lot during the day so have plenty of time to be on during those trips & free most ..."

Heather thanks for offering. If the others support you I am happy to make you a mod

message 30: by Emma (last edited Oct 06, 2017 10:35AM) (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) For anyone debating becoming a mod feel free to PM me with any questions.

My plan in order to ensure a smooth transition is to add some new mods and then slowly take a step back as they find their feet. I want to make it as easy for everyone involved as possible. Sarah and I, due to unavoidable circumstances, had to hit the ground running which wasn’t ideal. We a a group have the time this time to allow for a slower transition which should make it easier for everyone.

message 31: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) I know it’s not as exciting as discussing the Irish hurricane, but we need to get this sorted. So far I’ve appointed two new mods but the group really still needs a few more. So come on put your hand up and give back to the group.

message 32: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) I’m happy to appoint Heather but there’s been no feedback from members. I’m sure she’d make a good mod but I won’t appoint people unless members support it.

message 33: by Gavin (new)

Gavin (bookmad93) | 871 comments I’d back giving Heather a chance since she stepped up

message 34: by Colleen (new)

Colleen | 1205 comments I'm fine with Heather :)

message 35: by Thomas (new)

I'm fine with Heather.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.