Goodreads România discussion

General > Books from România Writters

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ana (new)

Ana Silva My name is Ana and I'm from Portugal.

I am a book lover and I have this kind of desire to read a book from every country in the world.

In that sense, I think the best option is to talk with people from that countries and ask them to suggest me the best books and writters (not in a comercial perspective, but with a good story and that help me to understand/know the countries and their cultures a little bit more).

This way, I would like to ask you: which books from România do you can suggest me?

Thank you so much!

message 2: by Gabriel (new)

Gabriel Nita (gabrielnita) | 1084 comments Hi Ana, this sounds like an interesting project.

I would suggest Nostalgia.

message 3: by Gabriel (new)

Gabriel Nita (gabrielnita) | 1084 comments By the way, do you have a list with all the titles you collected so far?

message 4: by Victor (last edited Oct 02, 2017 12:46AM) (new)

Victor | 1332 comments Hello Ana,

I'd be interested also in your list of titles. There are plenty of Romanian novels dealing with Romanian culture/mind set. Actually I think it's the main theme in Romanian literature. Our school curriculum is filled with such titles that are pretty decent on their own even if teachers love to torture pupils with interminable and intricate literary commentaries. Works such as Baltagul, Ion, Moara cu Noroc, Pădurea spânzuraţilor or Moromeții have given more than a few restless nights to all of us as students.

At least for me, having to read and learn commentaries for those works prevented me to approach the plethora of contemporary Romanian authors that are worth a read and that's a terrible shame but I'm working on my to-read list of contemporary authors.

message 5: by Alex (new)

Alex (biseptol69) | 830 comments Victor shares my opinion in this matter 100% 😊

message 6: by Gabriel (new)

Gabriel Nita (gabrielnita) | 1084 comments I would have recommended Groapa by Eugen Barbu, but I don't think it was ever translated in English, or For Two Thousand Years by Mihail Sebastian, but I haven't read it myself, or some fantastical short stories by Mircea Eliade, but I wasn't able to find a good translated collection of them. Or maybe Diary of a Short-Sighted Adolescent instead...

message 7: by Gabriel (last edited Oct 02, 2017 06:02AM) (new)

Gabriel Nita (gabrielnita) | 1084 comments I just realised that Moromeții I was actually published in English, and this would be a very good option as well, if only you can find the book. Which might be hard...

You can find some excerpts here, though:

The Morometes

message 8: by Indru (new)

Indru | 31 comments Gabriel wrote: "Hi Ana, this sounds like an interesting project.

I would suggest Nostalgia."

Just don't. Cărtărescu is not a good example. We have much better writers.

message 9: by Lavinia (new)

Lavinia (laviniag) Hi Ana,

I have a few recommendations:

"The Hooligan's Return" by Norman Manea (https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...) - a memoir, I think it would help you understand Romania and its history, a little bit.

One of my all time favourites is "The Băiuț Alley Lads" (https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...), written by brothers Filip and Matei Florian - it tells the story of 2 boys growing up in Bucharest in communist Romania.

Also, another Romanian writer whom I admire and has been translated in English is Lucian Dan Teodorovici. His book "Our Circurs Presents" (https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6...) is available in English, but if you read other languages, like French, I can make more suggestions.

Good luck with your project and let us know what book you choose!