Georgette Heyer Fans discussion

Frederica
This topic is about Frederica
Group Reads > Frederica October 2017 Group Read Chapters 1-14

Comments Showing 1-50 of 149 (149 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 4230 comments Mod
So how many times have you read this title.

What format are you planning to use this time.

Please remember to use spoiler tags or put all spoilers in the spoiler thread. We don't want to spoil a first read for anyone! :)

Howard Brazee I don't re-read a lot when there are so very many books I read for the first time. This is one of the first Heyer books I read and got me addicted.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1136 comments I’ve read this several times, but not as many times as The Grand Sophy, Black Sheep or Devil's Cub.

Critterbee❇ (critterbee) | 2592 comments Mod
This is one of my favorites, and I have read it many times. I own the Sourcebooks paperback and will be reading it on my kindle.

I have been looking forward to this all month, because I accidentally began it in September, having mistaken the rotm!

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1136 comments I have both the Sourcebooks and kindle edition.

message 6: by Christine PNW (new)

Christine PNW (moonlight_reader) | 13 comments I have the kindle edition as well as the audible edition. The last time I listened to the book - my daughter had just started college so it's been about 3 years - and she's 2 hours away, so I had a few blocks of time where I was in the car a lot, which rekindled my love of audiobooks.

The narrator of this one isn't terrific, IIRC, but he also wasn't bad. I think that I will read it this time around.

This is also one of my favorites, because I love the sometimes madcap behavior of Frederica. Also, isn't this the one with the funny dog?

message 7: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim Kaso | 511 comments I remember a balloon ascension.

message 8: by Susan in NC (last edited Oct 01, 2017 08:47AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Susan in NC (susanncreader) | 3431 comments Me, too, Kim, and that's about it - I loved frederica and her family!
This will be only my second read, first time was about ten years ago, a hardcover borrowed from the library. I thought I bought a copy but apparently not - so I'm reading the kindle version on Scribd this time. They've got a lot of Heyer titles available!

Susan in NC (susanncreader) | 3431 comments Howard wrote: "I don't re-read a lot when there are so very many books I read for the first time. This is one of the first Heyer books I read and got me addicted."

Me, too, Howard! And my library had a good stash of Heyers so they were able to supply me for awhile as I discovered more and more of her books. But I'm always on the hunt for new mystery series - preferably historical, so I do a lot of first-time reads also. I fall back on rereading old favorites when I'm between books being released!

message 10: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim Kaso | 511 comments Also, it is one of the ones with a funny dog, a hound of some sort, I dimly remember, and a madcap family of boys who are mad for the latest technology. I remember laughing & smiling a lot. The other dog I remember well was the disreputable mongrel inflicted by Arabella on Mr. Beaumaris.

Barb in Maryland | 657 comments I've read this one too many times to count as it is one of my top 10 GH books.
I have the Harlequin paperback reprint from 2000 (with an introduction by Nora Roberts). I keep meaning to get the Sourcebooks trade size paperback--to match my other GH books.
I first read it as a hardback from the library--the E.P Dutton 1965 edition with the stylized hot air balloon on the cover. Isn't that a great cover?
For cover fail of epic proportions, check out the 1966 Avon pb edition--so very, very much a rip-off of the My Fair Lady movie poster:
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

Teresa | 1615 comments I'm reading it in paperbook, the Arrow edition. I bought them years ago when they were released in blocks of six at a time. This is only my second read of this one so it'll be like a new read for me as I don't remember it. Happy days!

Louise Sparrow (louisex) | 457 comments I've lost count how many times I've read this one, it's definitely a favourite. I'm going to listen to the audiobook this time.

Btw @georgettedaily is running a poll on Twitter, Frederica vs Venetia and Sylvester vs Cotillion running today, inspired by Waterstones book championships

Louise Sparrow wrote: "I've lost count how many times I've read this one, it's definitely a favourite. I'm going to listen to the audiobook this time.

Btw @georgettedaily is running a poll on Twitter, Frederica vs Vene..."

Great timing. Also, I just voted on that!

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) | 1312 comments This is the Heyer I’ve probably read more times than any other except An Unknown Ajax (Team Hugo!). Am on my third copy, an aging Harlequin edition. I love so many elements of this book, I just wish Charis got less page time. Not quite as tedious as Tiffany, but close.

Louise Sparrow wrote: "I've lost count how many times I've read this one, it's definitely a favourite. I'm going to listen to the audiobook this time.

Btw @georgettedaily is running a poll on Twitter, Frederica vs Vene..."

@georgettedaily? I'll be checking out Twitter!

Susan in NC (susanncreader) | 3431 comments Carol ♔Type, Oh Queen!♕ wrote: "Louise Sparrow wrote: "I've lost count how many times I've read this one, it's definitely a favourite. I'm going to listen to the audiobook this time.

Btw @georgettedaily is running a poll on Twi..."

Me too, just voted! Thanks, Louise, nice to see something fun and positive on twitter.

Susan in Perthshire (susanageofaquarius) | 1097 comments Lost count of how many times I have read this. Using an Arrow paperback. Loving it as always! - this is one of my top 10 favourites and I have already read it this year. It was a great comfort to me as my husband was recovering from surgery in March - I am so looking forward to a re-read!

Sheila (in LA) (sheila_in_la) | 345 comments I have the Sourcebooks paperback from library. It was on the shelf, no need to request it this time from the downtown vaults.

I happen to like the blue dress on the Arrow cover.

Bella Audley | 8 comments At first I have the kindle edition and then purchased the Arrow one as a gift for a friend (though iI do not know if she has finished or not).

In May I was luck enough to come across a UK first edition (and Hardcover) in excellent condition (along with Arabella, Sylvester, False Colours, Royal Escape, The Unknown Ajax, Sprig Muslin, The Nonesuch and The Toll-gate!) in a small second hand book shop near Hampstead in London. And each book was only one pound!

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) | 1312 comments Good heavens, Bella, what a treasure trove! I hope you snarfled them all up instantly.

message 22: by Jan (last edited Oct 01, 2017 09:35PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jan (jan130) | 195 comments Yeah I'm not sure how many times I've read this one either. Certainly quite a few times when I was a teen. It used to be a fav. Then a break for a few years before I read it again about 3 or 4 years ago. So it's kinda reasonably fresh in my mind, but I can't remember every little detail.

My old paperback finally gave up the ghost last time I read it, so I bought a kindle copy then. So that's what I'm reading now.

On reading the opening pages this afternoon, I'm amazed (again) at Ms Heyer's skill in quickly and clearly outlining Louisa Buxton's and her sister Lady Jevington's rather self-centred and self-serving personalities. Within just few pages, we already feel we know and cordially dislike both Lady Buxton and Lady Jevington, and are disposed to be sympathetic towards their brother, the Marquis of Alverstoke, who has just pulled up outside Louisa's house in his shiny new curricle. Ms Heyer, you were truly a masterful writer. So deftly and lightly setting the scene and introducing some of your protagonists.

ShanDizzy  (sdizzy) | 25 comments Susan in Perthshire wrote: "Lost count of how many times I have read this. Using an Arrow paperback. Loving it as always! - this is one of my top 10 favourites and I have already read it this year. It was a great comfort to m..."

Hi Susan, this is my 1st time reading it. I started it today and am loving it! The opening dialogue and descriptions of Lord Alverstoke and Lady Buxted are hilarious! I'm all in and can't wait to get deeper into this engaging story.

Susan in Perthshire (susanageofaquarius) | 1097 comments S Dizzy wrote: "Susan in Perthshire wrote: "Lost count of how many times I have read this. Using an Arrow paperback. Loving it as always! - this is one of my top 10 favourites and I have already read it this year...."

So pleased you're enjoying it Shannon - as you say - the opening pages set the scene so perfectly and encapsulate the characters so beautifully, that you are instantly engaged. It's a wonderful mixture of romance, social observation, intelligent and sensitive conversation, delightful and fascinating secondary characters and a hero and heroine who are just fabulous!

Teresa | 1615 comments I was thinking today when reading it, 'how does she do it every time, just draw you in straight away and won't let go until the end'. I don't think we'll she HER like again either.

Teresa wrote: "I was thinking today when reading it, 'how does she do it every time, just draw you in straight away and won't let go until the end'. I don't think we'll she HER like again either."

I was thinking about this yesterday. I am reading an Anya Seton book. She is roughly the same age as GH. I'm enjoying htis book but have no problem putting it down. Seton doesn't have GH's gift of making you care about her characters.

QNPoohBear | 1269 comments I'm not sure how many times I've read this book all the way through-at least 3. I own the Sourcebooks paperback. My favorite character is Lufra, the "Balichustan Hound." LOL! I am partly in love with Alverstoke and charmed by Felix (and I don't like little boys at all in real life).

Barb in Maryland | 657 comments I'm already in Chapter 5. I swear I picked it up to 'read just a few pages' and --poof! I was sucked in.
Poor Charles Trevor! Now he has to track down foundries, or is it pneumatic lifts?, and he is convinced that Alverstoke has gone totally bonkers!! Charles is one of my favorite minor characters. GH does the beleaguered secretary sooo well.

message 29: by Jan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jan (jan130) | 195 comments It's such an easy book to read, isn't it? The pages just slip past.

Alverstoke and Frederica are getting to know and like each other more as time goes on :) Jessamy and Felix are both delightful in their own ways. Charis is rather sweet but dull. Yes, Charles Trevor is a treasure, isn't he?

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1136 comments Bella wrote: "At first I have the kindle edition and then purchased the Arrow one as a gift for a friend (though iI do not know if she has finished or not).

In May I was luck enough to come across a UK first e..."

Wow Bella! What a haul and what good fortune too!

Teresa | 1615 comments I don't know how I've only read this once!!! I'm loving it.

message 32: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 1214 comments I've read this book many, many times - I guess I will take my next comment over to the spoiler thread.

Barb in Maryland | 657 comments Chapter 6--Lufra vs the dairy-herd in the park. So funny! Poor Alverstoke--I am beginning to feel sorry for the man. However, he does the imperious aristocrat so well when he needs to!

Louise Sparrow (louisex) | 457 comments We walked through Green Park the other week and I admit I was thinking about cows.

QNPoohBear | 1269 comments Barb in Maryland wrote: "Chapter 6--Lufra vs the dairy-herd in the park. So funny! Poor Alverstoke--I am beginning to feel sorry for the man. However, he does the imperious aristocrat so well when he needs to!"

That is my absolute favorite section of the book. It makes me laugh so much. Wow Louise LOL! I admit to wanting to walk through Green Park and see the spot where Lufra chased the cows.

I love Alverstoke's phrasing:

"I regret to say that he—er—forgot himself amongst the cows in Green Park.”

message 37: by Elza (new) - added it

Elza (emr1) | 296 comments Barb in Maryland wrote: "I'm already in Chapter 5. I swear I picked it up to 'read just a few pages' and --poof! I was sucked in."

Exactly what happened to me on my lunch break today. I wasn't sure if I wanted to read this one again, since I've read it so many times that I know the story -- but decided it wouldn't hurt to take a look. And now I'm in! LOL

Impressive, as someone has already noted, how Heyer sketches her secondary characters so quickly and deftly. I love how the sisters deplore Alverstoke's selfishness ("without exception, the most selfish, disobliging creature alive") while completely ignoring the pettiness and greed of their constant demands on him.

This -- perfection:
"As for Louisa's two sons and three daughters, Lady Jevington found herself unable to blame Alverstoke for taking no interest in any of them. It was really impossible to be interested in such commonplace children. That he was equally uninterested in her own offspring did, however, argue a selfish disposition."

Susan in NC (susanncreader) | 3431 comments Teresa wrote: "I don't know how I've only read this once!!! I'm loving it."
Same here!

Susan in NC (susanncreader) | 3431 comments Elza wrote: "Barb in Maryland wrote: "I'm already in Chapter 5. I swear I picked it up to 'read just a few pages' and --poof! I was sucked in."

Exactly what happened to me on my lunch break today. I wasn't sur..."

Perfect!

message 40: by Nick (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nick Imrie (nickimrie) | 438 comments Yes, it's a real testament to Heyer's skill that you get sucked into this story so quickly despite the fact that there's almost no actual romance in the beginning.
I'm up to chapter 11 and the only time that Frederica and Alverstoke have spent together is the first meeting, and the Lufra-in-the-park escapade. The rest is Alverstoke-and-family; Alverstocke-and-Felix/Jessamy; Frederica-and-Charis! But the side characters are so much fun, it's worth it!

Teresa | 1615 comments It's only now you've pointed out about the romance that I've realised it. Shows how great the story is when you're not missing the romantic element.

message 42: by Nick (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nick Imrie (nickimrie) | 438 comments Yes, I think there's a lot of character development for Alverstoke in the start here that the boys are necessary for. For his whole life, Alverstoke has been put upon by people who want to manipulate him for his money. I think the moment with Jessamy where (view spoiler).
Alverstoke was really taught a lesson, by a 16-year old boy, no less, about how not everyone is playing games to benefit themselves - some people genuinely do have a sense of honour.

Susan in NC (susanncreader) | 3431 comments Nick wrote: "Yes, I think there's a lot of character development for Alverstoke in the start here that the boys are necessary for. For his whole life, Alverstoke has been put upon by people who want to manipula..."

Yes, this was such a touching scene, and a wonderful life lesson for alverstoke. The whole first half ( and beyond) contains little romance, but it’s so much fun it sweeps you along!

message 44: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy (aggieamy) | 422 comments This was my first GH. I might be a bit slow but I'll be rereading this one with you guys this month.

message 45: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 1214 comments Nick wrote: "Yes, it's a real testament to Heyer's skill that you get sucked into this story so quickly despite the fact that there's almost no actual romance in the beginning.
I'm up to chapter 11 and the only..."

yes, the book as a whole (the romance but also the comedy) is set up so well but the thorough beginning where we meet all these diverse characters and begin to understand them as we watch them react.

not flawless, but masterful.

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) | 1312 comments I actually prefer novels in which the romance is—well, not incidental, but integrated into a whole life—not the center of the characters’ stories. It’s the whole context and surround that makes the romance meaningful for me, much more than the animal attraction aspect. Maybe why this novel and The Unknown Ajax are among my favorites!

Karlyne Landrum | 3895 comments Barb in Maryland wrote: "I've read this one too many times to count as it is one of my top 10 GH books.
I have the Harlequin paperback reprint from 2000 (with an introduction by Nora Roberts). I keep meaning to get the Sou..."

Mine is the Avon edition, circa 1970, with the absolutely fatuous simpering miss and two swains hovering over her. I'm not sure who they're all supposed to be, but it's not one of the good covers. I didn't see it on the Goodreads edition list, so I can't share its obnoxiousness.

Karlyne Landrum | 3895 comments I've read this several times, but in light of the gloominess of the world, I've decided to read it again! I'm already smiling at the thought.

message 49: by Jan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jan (jan130) | 195 comments Enjoy, Karlyne.

message 50: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim Kaso | 511 comments I find the reads of the past, GH here, Agatha Christie, Elizabeth Goudge, Helen MacInnes, etc in other clubs, Angela Thirkell & Barbara Pym re-reads, Isabelle Dalhousie are helping me through recent months.

« previous 1 3