You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Group Themed Reads: Discussions > October 2017 - Grimdark subgenre of fantasy

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15386 comments If the two chosen books are not to your liking, you can red something else that fits with the theme of 'grimdark subgenre of fantasy'.

In order to receive a badge you must:
1. have completed the book before or during October 2017.
2. discussed it in this thread. Discussion must be more than "I read the book and I liked it". Discussion requires something more substantial and analytical of what you read, for example, thoughts, opinions, impact it had on you, what was your favourite part, was it what you expected it to be like etc. You may also like to review the book and post a link to the review in this thread. Please refer to our group spoiler policy for further information.
3. Report that you have read AND discussed the book in the reporting thread (include a brief summary of what you thought of the book).

General Rules:
1. Please mark your spoilers with the spoiler tags along with mentioning what stage of the book you are at so other's don't get a nasty shock. Chapter numbers/titles are generally best as they are the same across all formats and editions.
2. The book may be combined with the Year Long Challenge, Topplers, and Monthly Challenges.

Happy reading!

message 2: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18196 comments Looking forward to seeing what other books will be read this month.

message 3: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15386 comments Is anyone reading another book this month?

message 4: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 14191 comments I might still read Half a King. It depends how much time I have at the end of the month. I might read Silence Fallen for the yearly challenge first. I'm not sure yet.

message 5: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18196 comments I think most people have read The Painted Man. I am surprised no one has read anything else. It will make your badging easier Peggy ;-)

message 6: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 6011 comments I'm having a hard time getting to the Painted Man even let alone anything different

message 7: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18196 comments Travis sivarT wrote: "I'm having a hard time getting to the Painted Man even let alone anything different"

I did wonder where you were. I am very pleased to be rereading it.

message 8: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 6011 comments Toppler. I set aside a couple books and then I started a couple during toppler to see if they fit a task and they didn't and I really want to tie up all these loose ends before starting another

message 9: by Lara (new)

Lara | 1426 comments It turns out I have a number of these books already, but wasn't really in the mood to read one. So, I picked The Liar's Key as I had read the first book a year or so ago and enjoyed it. This one picks up a little bit after the first book, and, while the lead character retains his key personality traits, he has grown and finds himself doing things for others and rushing into danger despite himself.

There is also a lot of back story that explains events from his and his grandmother's past, including how the Red Queen got her name. I don't recall in the first book realizing that it takes place in the far future, but that is made more clear in this one. Unfortunately, it does end with a cliffhanger. I'll have to pick up the last book soon.

message 10: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15386 comments Did you enjoy it Lara?

message 11: by Lara (new)

Lara | 1426 comments Peggy wrote: "Did you enjoy it Lara?"

I did. While it's a dark world, the narrator has a dry sense of humor, which added some fun despite the desperation of so many scenes. And the amount of violence and blood. The book takes place in the same world (and I think the trilogy overlaps slightly with) the author's really dark trilogy that starts with Prince of Thorns.