You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

The Vagrant (The Vagrant, #1)
This topic is about The Vagrant
Group Themed Reads: Discussions > October 2017 - The Vagrant

Comments Showing 1-50 of 129 (129 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - added it

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14758 comments One of the group reads for October is The Vagrant. Please discuss the book in this thread.

Janice will be leading the discussion.

In order to receive a badge you must:
1. have completed the book before or during October 2017.
2. discussed it in this thread. Discussion must be more than "I read the book and I liked it". Discussion requires something more substantial and analytical of what you read, for example, thoughts, opinions, impact it had on you, what was your favourite part, was it what you expected it to be like etc. You may also like to review the book and post a link to the review in this thread. Please refer to our group spoiler policy for further information.
3. Report that you have read AND discussed the book in the reporting thread (include a brief summary of what you thought of the book).

General Rules:
1. Please mark your spoilers with the spoiler tags along with mentioning what stage of the book you are at so other's don't get a nasty shock. Chapter numbers/titles are generally best as they are the same across all formats and editions.
2. The book may be combined with the Year Long Challenge, Topplers, and Monthly Challenges.

Happy reading!

message 2: by Sarah, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sarah | 18168 comments I started this last week but didn't get far what with my nan falling ill. I have enjoyed the first 25 pages of it. Will come back and discuss my initial impressions in the next day or so.

Laura (lauradragonchild) I'm up for reading this in October. :)

message 4: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 13147 comments This Kindle book was on sale for $.99 on Amazon US for anyone that wants to look into it.

Paul I read the book fairly close to release and was very impressed. Definitely Grimdark to its very soul, the entire world is a nasty nightmare . The POV focus on a silent main character is intriguing and I am very curious to see how well it works across the board.
I have read the follow up and the last part is sat on my bookshelves waiting for me to get to it.

Really do love the Goat in this book though. Very cheeky bit of Comic relief in the darkness of the story

message 6: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - added it

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14758 comments Thanks Kristie! I just found it there for $1.17. So I guess I'll be joining this read too. Just not sure if it's a good idea to dive into two new fantasy series ;-)

Paul At least its a completed series so no stress waiting years for a finish.

message 8: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - added it

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14758 comments That's definitely a good thing! :)

message 9: by Sarah, Moderator (last edited Oct 02, 2017 08:51AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sarah | 18168 comments The premise of the book was explained at the grimdark gathering - MC, plus baby, plus goat, none of which speak. It really had me curious on how the story would go and how Newman would pull it off.

message 10: by Sarah, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sarah | 18168 comments If you're interested, the grim gathering author q&a's (including Peter Newman) were recorded by someone and you can listen to them online at https://www.facebook.com/mitriel/vide...

message 11: by Sarah, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sarah | 18168 comments I've read up to the end of chapter 3 so far. (view spoiler)

message 12: by Paul (new) - rated it 5 stars

Paul Thanks for the link to the talk. Will have listen later. Being in Ireland I lament the events I could attand elsewhere

message 13: by Margo (new) - added it

Margo | 9567 comments I got this book on audible right after it was chosen. I'm looking forward to viewing Sarahs link later on. I will probably join the read mid october.

message 14: by Sarah, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sarah | 18168 comments I just reread the first 25 pages which is where i stopped reading the other day. Now i can see where i got confused. Some of my comments in the spoiler above are wrong. I'll come back and clarify and add to my comments. Second time through the beginning though really has made the difference and I'm excited about the book.

message 15: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - added it

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14758 comments Argh. Everything seems to work against me with the group reads this month. I bought the ebook but can't get it transferred to my ereader.

message 16: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 47793 comments I started reading the book yesterday, but wasn't able to connect easily to the Internet. It's easier to go off the grid and enjoy the weekend in the mountains than to get frustrated trying to get online. The fall colours in the mountains are spectacular. From the sounds of the first couple of chapters, it's a stark contrast to the world of the story.

The structure of the book looks to be that the story is told in the present tense with periodic interludes to a period of time 8 years previous. I have read the first two chapters and am about to read the first interlude.

Chapters 1 & 2 - (view spoiler)

So far, I'm very intrigued by this story.

message 17: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 47793 comments Peggy wrote: "Argh. Everything seems to work against me with the group reads this month. I bought the ebook but can't get it transferred to my ereader."

Have you had any luck getting it transferred, Peggy?

message 18: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - added it

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14758 comments Nope. I tried it yesterday evening and then went to bed. I'll try again today after work.

I can open it on my pc, but I bought it from amazon so I need to convert it to epub to read it on my Kobo ereader. I have a program for that, but for some reason it doesn't work for this book.

message 19: by Paul (new) - rated it 5 stars

Paul Is it a DRM restriction,

message 20: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - added it

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14758 comments I don't think so. Usually I can import the kindle-book in Calibre, convert it to epub, and copy it to my ereader. With this book I can open it in the kindle app on my pc, but Calibre says it's 'unknown'.

I'll google a bit tonight to see if I can find the problem.

message 21: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 47793 comments I finished the interlude and Chapter 3 last night.

Interlude - (view spoiler)

Chapter 3 - (view spoiler)

message 22: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 47793 comments Sarah wrote: "I just reread the first 25 pages which is where i stopped reading the other day. Now i can see where i got confused. Some of my comments in the spoiler above are wrong. I'll come back and clarify a..."

The confusion likely came with the first interlude filling in the history of what happened 8 years previously. Are you listening to the audiobook?

(view spoiler)

message 23: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - added it

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14758 comments Fixed! Google is my best friend :)

Apparently the newer versions of the kindle app use a different file format than the older versions and calibre can't convert those. I installed an older version and unchecked the box to update automatically, and it worked. Yay!

I'm going to start reading right now :)

message 24: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - added it

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14758 comments I finished the first chapter and I get what 'grimdark' is now. Yikes, what a depressing place/time to live in!

message 25: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - added it

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14758 comments Chapter 1, 2 and interlude: (view spoiler)

message 26: by Sarah, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sarah | 18168 comments I'm reading the ebook Janice.

After rereading the first few chapters, things made better sense for me Janice. (view spoiler)

Pleased you have it fixed Peggy.

message 27: by Sarah, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sarah | 18168 comments Peggy wrote: "I finished the first chapter and I get what 'grimdark' is now. Yikes, what a depressing place/time to live in!"

lol. The setting is grimdark through and through.

message 28: by Sarah, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sarah | 18168 comments With regards to the world - fantasy/sci-fi (view spoiler)

re your spoiler Peggy (view spoiler)

message 29: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - added it

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14758 comments Sarah, (view spoiler)

message 30: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - added it

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14758 comments Sarah wrote: "I'm reading the ebook Janice.

After rereading the first few chapters, things made better sense for me Janice..."

I agree with all you wrote. (view spoiler)

message 31: by Janice, Moderator (last edited Oct 03, 2017 09:10PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 47793 comments Interesting comments, Peggy & Sarah. (view spoiler)

message 32: by Sarah, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sarah | 18168 comments I'm just starting chapter 6. (view spoiler)

I like how the details of the world are being told gradually. It does mean you don't fully understand the world at the beginning of the book but it becomes clearer as you read on.

message 33: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 47793 comments I finished Chapter 4 & 5. There are more questions than answers, it seems.

(view spoiler)

Sarah, I will have to read your spoiler when I finish Chapter 6.

message 34: by Sarah, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sarah | 18168 comments In response to your spoilers Janice (view spoiler)

You can read the spoiler in msg 2 before you start chapter 6 but as long as you've read the interlude after chapter 5.

Laura (lauradragonchild) hi everyone. I didn't realise you already started reading this. I'll also start tomorrow.

message 36: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - added it

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14758 comments I also finished chapter 6. I found the interlude a bit confusing, so thanks for the summary Sarah. That was sort of what I got from it too.

I didn't notice the religious undertones Janice, interesting observation!

I have the impression that (view spoiler)

message 37: by Sarah, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sarah | 18168 comments Laura wrote: "hi everyone. I didn't realise you already started reading this. I'll also start tomorrow."

We will be reading it throughout the whole of October. Looking forward to hearing what you think.

message 38: by Sarah, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sarah | 18168 comments I think you might be right Peggy(view spoiler)

Are you enjoying it so far Peggy?

message 39: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - added it

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14758 comments It's a bit more SF and dystopian than my regular books and I think I like epic fantasy more, but I'm enjoying it :) The only thing I like a bit less is that with the interludes I constantly feel like I'm missing things or am not getting it, even though I'm probably meant to not understand everything yet.

How about you?

message 40: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - added it

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14758 comments Looking forward to your thoughts Laura! I expect some more people will jump in as the month progresses.

message 41: by Sarah, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sarah | 18168 comments I agree. It definitely makes me think of the world in King's Dark Towers crossed with New Crobuzon in Mieville's Perdido Street Station. Definitely a different feel to epic fantasy.

I am having the same thing with the interludes. Only enough information is given to further the back story and deepen the world but more questions come about. I am enjoying it. Whilst not epic fantasy, it does have that journey feel to it like often crops up in epic fantasy.

message 42: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - added it

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14758 comments Yes, I like that journey aspect too.

message 43: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 47793 comments I'm glad you're going to join in on the discussion with us Laura. You'll find with the monthly themed reads that people join in whenever they are ready to start reading the book, so there's no pressure to start right at the beginning of the month.

message 44: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - added it

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14758 comments Interlude after chapter 8: (view spoiler)

message 45: by Sarah, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sarah | 18168 comments That was my thoughts too Peggy (first part of your spoiler).

End of chapter 10(view spoiler)

message 46: by Sarah, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sarah | 18168 comments About to start chapter 15 (view spoiler)

message 47: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 47793 comments I finished to the end of Chapter 10.

(view spoiler)

I might be a bit cranky this morning. I worked late yesterday (6 hours in the afternoon without a break), then I woke at 2:30am and couldn't go back to sleep till around 4:30. That may account for my complaints.

message 48: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 47793 comments Sarah wrote: "That was my thoughts too Peggy (first part of your spoiler).

End of chapter 10 ..."

Re your Chapter 6 spoilers on the half-breeds, that was the impression I got as well.

As for Chapter 10, (view spoiler)

message 49: by Debra (new) - added it

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments As always, I'll be late to the party. Although I originally wanted to read Painted Man, I couldn't find any library copies, so here I am. My inter-library system says this book is in transit, plus I'll be delayed by the Toppler. I'm pretty sure I can start afterwards. See you later!

Laura (lauradragonchild) Debra wrote: "As always, I'll be late to the party. Although I originally wanted to read Painted Man, I couldn't find any library copies, so here I am. My inter-library system says this book is in transit, plus ..."

I'll keep you company then. :)
After the Toppler fits me better also as I already have to many open reads that I'm struggling to finish right now.

« previous 1 3