You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Group Themed Reads: Discussions > October 2017 - The Painted Man

Comments Showing 1-50 of 338 (338 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

message 1: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15393 comments One of the group reads for October is The Painted Man (aka The Warded Man). Please discuss the book in this thread.

Margo will be leading the discussion.

In order to receive a badge you must:
1. have completed the book before or during October 2017.
2. discussed it in this thread. Discussion must be more than "I read the book and I liked it". Discussion requires something more substantial and analytical of what you read, for example, thoughts, opinions, impact it had on you, what was your favourite part, was it what you expected it to be like etc. You may also like to review the book and post a link to the review in this thread. Please refer to our group spoiler policy for further information.
3. Report that you have read AND discussed the book in the reporting thread (include a brief summary of what you thought of the book).

General Rules:
1. Please mark your spoilers with the spoiler tags along with mentioning what stage of the book you are at so other's don't get a nasty shock. Chapter numbers/titles are generally best as they are the same across all formats and editions.
2. The book may be combined with the Year Long Challenge, Topplers, and Monthly Challenges.

Happy reading!

message 2: by Peggy, Moderator (last edited Oct 01, 2017 12:36AM) (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15393 comments I wasn't sure about joining the group read this month, but when I saw so many people voted for this book, and I've had it on my wishlsi for a while, I couldn't resist buying a copy. It's a second-hand copy from the US though, and it said delivery time is 7-26 business days. Usually these books arrive pretty fast (within 2 weeks), but it said in the confirmation mail that the estimated delivery date is November 9 :/

So I hope I can join, but if I do, I probably can't start very soon..

Saar The Book owl | 1822 comments I'll join. I wasn't sure if I would do a group read this month. My reading - mojo was gone and still need to finish a book, but I can't miss this. It's a promising book.

message 4: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18198 comments This is going to be great. I hope you can join in Peggy. I think you would enjoy it.

message 5: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 6011 comments The estimated delivery days are often much faster than they first say. Hopefully it gets sped up Peggy. I got one saying my book would arrive in 4-6 weeks and it showed up 2 days later. (Not this book I already owned it)

I plan to read this just not sure when. I plan to go straight through the whole series so I may wait until after toppler. Depends, I'm debating if I want to go book to book or maybe give a couple weeks in between each book so I don't get sick of the series on my reread.

message 6: by Jake (new)

Jake Newman | 91 comments Just got it today! Really excited to start!

message 7: by Margo (last edited Oct 01, 2017 01:23PM) (new)

Margo | 10038 comments Jake and Saar I am so glad you are joining the read:-) Peggy I really hope you won't have to wait til Nov for your copy but a good read is worth the wait!!

Sarah and Travis have got me very excited about this book. I started it a few days ago just meaning to get a flavour of it but I was sucked right in! I'd finished chapter 3 before I knew it.

The first two chapters are long which usually puts me off but in this case I couldn't tear myself away. The characters are entirely believable and the plot is intriguing. I can't think why I left this book on my shelf for so long.

I'm on my kindle at the moment which always gives me problems with spoiler tags ( and with other things) so I'll give more detail on my first impressions tomorrow.

message 8: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments I will be joining in with this read, but I might not start it until after the toppler.

message 9: by Eliestal (new)

Eliestal | 255 comments I will be joining as well starting tomorrow! This book seems very interesting so I can't wait to start it!

message 10: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20275 comments Margo- I just finished the first two chapters. I totally agree about the characters. The story line sucks one right in and makes it hard to put down. (view spoiler)

message 11: by Jake (new)

Jake Newman | 91 comments Just starting it tonight! I’ve got a nice fall smelling candle and some nice lights in my room cuddled up with a blanket!

message 12: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20275 comments I tried to convince myself to stop and read my challenge book but my finger didn't want to press the button for the other book. I just blew through chapter 3. (view spoiler)

message 13: by Ben (new)

Ben (basebox) | 113 comments Going to start reading this after I’ve finished my current book. Can’t wait to start it.

message 14: by Margo (new)

Margo | 10038 comments Clement and Ben, glad to have you aboard ;-)

message 15: by Margo (last edited Oct 02, 2017 03:59AM) (new)

Margo | 10038 comments Cherie I was exactly the same! Last night I had to force myself back to finish the book I was reading for the annual challenge. Are you reading this one or listening?

Re cht 2 and 3 (view spoiler)

message 16: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18198 comments If you're interested, the grim gathering author q&a's (including Peter V Brett) were recorded by someone and you can listen to them online at https://www.facebook.com/mitriel/vide...

message 17: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18198 comments I will join you guys after the toppler.

message 18: by Margo (new)

Margo | 10038 comments Ooh, I'll listen to that later! Glad you'll be joining in later Sarah, I know you love this series and I think sometimes a reread brings new insight.

message 19: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18198 comments Rereads are not something I normally do but as it's my favourite series and I've forgotten lots of details from the book (which became apparent whilst reading book 4 in the series just a couple weeks back), I thought I'd give it a go. Like Travis, I'm planning on working my way through the whole series again although it may not be back to back.

message 20: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20275 comments Before I quit last night I was at Part II.

message 21: by Margo (new)

Margo | 10038 comments Cherie wrote: "Before I quit last night I was at Part II."

Wow, you are flying through it :-)

message 22: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20275 comments Margo wrote: "Cherie wrote: "Before I quit last night I was at Part II."

Wow, you are flying through it :-)"

It really is hard to put down.

Re ch 2 and 3 spoiler and Arlen's father. (view spoiler)

Ch 4 (view spoiler)

message 23: by Margo (new)

Margo | 10038 comments Cherie - Arlens father (view spoiler)

Cht 4 and 5 (view spoiler)

message 24: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20275 comments RE Arlen's father (view spoiler)

message 25: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20275 comments Chapter 5 (view spoiler)

message 26: by Jake (new)

Jake Newman | 91 comments Started reading last night, I absolutely couldn’t put it down, I just got soo tired I fell asleep with it on top of me

message 27: by Jenn (new)

Jenn | 2316 comments Wow, what a page turner :) Just starting chapter 9. It has already touched on some big topics (view spoiler) And, now back to the book :)

message 28: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20275 comments My main database and work tool was down at work today and allowed me to get in a little more reading time than usual. I just got to Section III, Chapter 17.

So much has happened. I love it!

I'm going to do some gophering for the toppler tomorrow.

message 29: by Eliestal (new)

Eliestal | 255 comments I started reading yesterday but haven't got much time to read much because of work. I am currently in chapter two when (view spoiler)
I will read more of it soon!

message 30: by Margo (new)

Margo | 10038 comments Jake wrote: "Started reading last night, I absolutely couldn’t put it down, I just got soo tired I fell asleep with it on top of me"

That's a real sign of a good book Jake lol

message 31: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18198 comments I haven't read any spoilers yet but I'm so pleased to hear that everyone is enjoying the book and struggling to pit it down.

message 32: by Margo (new)

Margo | 10038 comments Jenn wrote: "Wow, what a page turner :) Just starting chapter 9. It has already touched on some big topics [spoilers removed] And, now back to the book :)"

I'm on chapter 8 Jenn - not far behind you ;-) As you say, it is a real page turner and quite hard to put down.

I'll have to get my skates on and do some serious listening done!

message 33: by Margo (new)

Margo | 10038 comments Clément wrote: "I started reading yesterday but haven't got much time to read much because of work. I am currently in chapter two

Cpt 2 (view spoiler)

message 34: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15393 comments I'm glad you're all enjoying it so much. I want my copy! Now!

message 35: by Margo (new)

Margo | 10038 comments Peggy wrote: "I'm glad you're all enjoying it so much. I want my copy! Now!"

You're having a bad time with monthly reads Peggy :(

message 36: by Jake (new)

Jake Newman | 91 comments It sure is, the story is very complex and interesting

message 37: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 6011 comments I'm tempted to peak at spoiler but it's been so long since I read this I don't want to spoil my reread so no spoiler peaking yet anyway

message 38: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18198 comments Travis sivarT wrote: "I'm tempted to peak at spoiler but it's been so long since I read this I don't want to spoil my reread so no spoiler peaking yet anyway"

I was toying with it too but I don't want to ruin the reread.

message 39: by Ben (new)

Ben (basebox) | 113 comments Wow, you're all ploughing your way through it so fast. Only 100 pages left of my current book and then I start.

message 40: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20275 comments Ben wrote: "Wow, you're all ploughing your way through it so fast. Only 100 pages left of my current book and then I start."

No rush, Ben. We have the whole month and someone will always be just starting or just finishing. Most folks come back and check the comments throughout the month and read spoilers when they are ready. Just be sure say where you are and mark your comments with spoilers, if your comments will give anything in the story away.

message 41: by Jake (new)

Jake Newman | 91 comments Again tonight I could not put it down but it’s getting late and I must go to bed!

message 42: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 50047 comments Wow! It sounds like a winner.

message 43: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20275 comments There are times, reading a story like this, with multiple main characters, when one wants to SCREAM! Turn the page - and it is someone else's turn. (If you read any of The Game of Thrones books, you know what I mean.)

message 44: by Margo (new)

Margo | 10038 comments Glad everyone seems to be enjoying it. It seems I'm really lagging behind. I got caught up in Toppler preparations yesterday and got very little actual reading in! I've just got to the end of section 1. I'm waiting for Ben I think ;-)

Cherie I know that feeling so well :-D It means the writer has done their job well lol

message 45: by Eliestal (new)

Eliestal | 255 comments Margo wrote: "Glad everyone seems to be enjoying it. It seems I'm really lagging behind. I got caught up in Toppler preparations yesterday and got very little actual reading in! I've just got to the end of secti..."

I am also lagging behind (even more than you are) because of work :(. But the little I can read I enjoy. I should have more time starting thursday so I will catch up little by little.
I am quite new here (it is my first group read), but like Cherie said, it seems like there will always be someone here to talk with about the book.

message 46: by Ben (new)

Ben (basebox) | 113 comments Margo wrote: "Glad everyone seems to be enjoying it. It seems I'm really lagging behind. I got caught up in Toppler preparations yesterday and got very little actual reading in! I've just got to the end of secti..."

Cheers Margo, I'm about 100 pages off finishing my current read so I'll hopefully be able to finish it this evening.

message 47: by Jake (new)

Jake Newman | 91 comments How do you guys use the spoiler tag. I would like to write something but am unsure of how to use it. Any help welcome, thanks.

message 48: by Cherie (last edited Oct 04, 2017 05:00PM) (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20275 comments Jake wrote: "How do you guys use the spoiler tag. I would like to write something but am unsure of how to use it. Any help welcome, thanks."

Jake - if you are in the online tool vs a mobile app - there is a link in the upper right of the the comment box (some html is ok). If you press it, it shows you how to do it. If you are using a mobile app you cannot see it, but you can still write spoilers, but it is hard to show how. The unfortunate part is that you cannot read the spoilers in a mobile app though. If you write a comment using the < and > with the word spoiler in the middle and then put /spoiler inside the < and > at the end, it hides the comment.

message 49: by Danisha (last edited Oct 04, 2017 07:16PM) (new)

Danisha | 54 comments I was just wondering if anyone else is reading the edition titled

The Warded Man (Demon Cycle, #1) by Peter V. Brett - The Warded Man instead of the The Painted Man (Demon Cycle, #1) by Peter V. Brett - The Painted Man?

message 50: by Jake (new)

Jake Newman | 91 comments Alright thanks Cherie! I’ll go on my laptop and write it

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7