The Evolution of Science Fiction discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Group Reads 2017 > Nominations for December 2017

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jo (new)

Jo | 1059 comments This month we have a change to our nominations. We are going to nominate by era. This month is the Golden Era which we are considering as 1940-1959. We are looking for any nomination from this period which has not previously been read by the group (see bookshelf.) One nomination per person please.

message 2: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 2688 comments Mod
I'll nominate Brain Wave by Poul Anderson, one of the grand masters of SF, & yet this group hasn't read a single book by him.

A fascinating 'what if novel, Brainwave is an exploration into the ways human society is organized and the assumptions that are made about how life is valued. It is also a novel about equality and what happens when the hierarchical structures by which we arrange our daily lives disappear.

message 3: by Marc-André (new)

Marc-André | 278 comments I nominate the classic Starship Troopers by Heinlein.

message 4: by David (last edited Oct 01, 2017 09:19AM) (new)

David Lutkins | 32 comments I'll nominate Earth Abides by George R. Stewart.

Won the inaugural International Fantasy Award in 1951. Considered a classic of Post-Apocalyptic fiction. Similar to Nevil Shute's later post-apocalyptic On the Beach, this science fiction novel was a one-off for author George R Stewart.

message 5: by Jo (new)

Jo | 1059 comments David wrote: "I'll nominate Earth Abides by George R. Stewart.

Won the inaugural International Fantasy Award in 1951. Considered a classic of Post-Apocalyptic fiction. Similar to Ne..."

Hi David - sorry I can't accept Earth Abides as a nomination as we've already read this one (it's one of my favourites we read with the group). If you want to nominate something else instead?

message 6: by David (last edited Oct 01, 2017 07:39PM) (new)

David Lutkins | 32 comments Jo wrote: "Hi David - sorry I can't accept Earth Abides as a nomination as we've already read this one (it's one of my favourites we read with the group). If you want to nominate something else instead? "

Oops, sorry!! I must be blind because I didn't notice it in the bookshelf when checking before.

I like Marc-Andre's choice, so will hold off making another nomination.

David

message 7: by Ronald (new)

Ronald (rpdwyer) | 121 comments I nominate The Green Lama: The Complete Pulp Adventures Volume 1
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

Adventure House reprinted these stories that were originally published in the 1940s. Its available in print and electronically.
I read one of the stories and was entertained.

Wikipedia article on Green Lama:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Lama

message 8: by Jo (new)

Jo | 1059 comments I'm going to nominate Walden Two by B.F. Skinner.

message 9: by Gregg (new)

Gregg Wingo (gwingo) | 327 comments Interesting choice...

message 10: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 2688 comments Mod
David wrote: "I'll nominate Earth Abides by George R. Stewart..."

David, we haven't read On the Beach or Alas, Babylon & both could be nominated.

We've already read A Canticle for Leibowitz. I think these 4 are some of the best apocalyptic SF ever written & I tend to group them together in my mind. The last 3 were all within a couple of years of each other at the end of the 50s while "Earth Abides" is about a decade older, IIRC.

It would be interesting to discuss (post) apocalyptic novels & I don't see a topic for it. It really deserves one, so I created it here:
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 11: by Cordelia (new)

Cordelia (anne21) I would like to nominate Eye in the Sky by Philip K. Dick

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.