Classic Trash discussion

Anno Dracula (Anno Dracula, #1)
This topic is about Anno Dracula
Anno Dracula > Anno Dracula: In Progress (No Spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Adelaide Blair | 1016 comments Mod
This topic is for those who wish to discuss the book in progress. No spoilers please.

I haven't read this in awhile, but it's a fun one. Newman references TONS of Victorian characters from history and literature. I don't think you have to know who everyone is to have fun with it, but recognizing folks is a part of the charm.

Cheryl | 906 comments Adelaide wrote: "I haven't read this in awhile, but it's a fun one. Newman references TONS of Victorian characters from history and literature. I don't think you have to know who everyone is to have fun with it, bu..."

It sounds fun. I have a copy coming from another library, so hopefully it will get here this week.

Sarah (sarahmott) | 352 comments Ha - I love how it overlaps with Bram Stoker. I always thought Lucy was such a tragic character. Seriously, Bram! Let Lucy hook up with Wesley! We all want to see that happen.

message 5: by Cheryl (last edited Oct 09, 2017 05:15PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Cheryl | 906 comments Well, I found a copy of the book at a used book store and bought it. (It was taking forever from the library!) This copy has an annotations section, which lists some of the Victorian-era characters and connections that Adelaide had mentioned.

So far, I'm enjoying the story. It had my head spinning a bit at first, because it's kind of an alternate history story. Seeing the vampires in charge of society, and everyone putting up with it, was something new. And reading from the vampire's point of view (i.e. Genevieve) makes me wonder who are the Good Guys and the Bad Guys in this story. Very unique!

Cheryl | 906 comments I'm at chapter 14 now and feel like I'm fizzling out with the book. There are so many cameo walk ons that I'm getting overwhelmed by them. Which ones will be important to the plot, and which ones can I just pass by? Can someone give me tips on how to read this book?

You could conceivably read the book without knowing who anyone is. I think the story stands on it's own with the cameos just being icing on the cake. (I just read the book and look at the annotations when I'm done.)

Sarah (sarahmott) | 352 comments That did bother me a little too. It was a little over the top with historical figure appearances.

Cheryl | 906 comments Thanks for the advice! I'm just focusing on the characters that repeatedly show up in the story. I'll leave the annotation section for the end.

Cheryl | 906 comments When I saw the nurse who worked in the hospital with Genevieve, Mrs. Amworth, I remembered that I had read that story with her name. It's by E. F. Benson and can be found here: https://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/b/bens...