Wanderlust Challenges discussion

Welcome to Wanderlust > Traveler's Blog (Place to Chat)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 1,502 (1502 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 30 31

message 1: by Jan, Moderator (last edited Oct 05, 2017 12:11PM) (new)

Jan | 11581 comments Traveler's Blog

This is our place to share what's happening, what we are reading and where we are traveling in real life or through our reading.

message 2: by Jan, Moderator (last edited Oct 22, 2017 03:53PM) (new)

Jan | 11581 comments Hi everyone! I'm excited about starting this new group and am looking forward to talking to new and old friends here.

I'm currently reading Artifact by Gigi Pandian. It's right up my alley with a gal Indiana Jones as the main character.
Artifact (Jaya Jones Treasure Hunt Mystery, #1) by Gigi Pandian

I'm also looking forward to starting our Group Read and traveling the Orient Express with The Woman on the Orient Express by Lindsay Jayne Ashford
The Woman on the Orient Express by Lindsay Jayne Ashford

Jump in and tell us what's going on in your world.

message 3: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 105 comments I'm currently reading Magpie Murders by Anthony Horowitz. This is going to be a 5 star read for me (I am about 3/4 of the way finished with the book). I am looking forward to the group read in November.

Magpie Murders by Anthony Horowitz

message 4: by Jan, Moderator (new)

Jan | 11581 comments I have heard nothing but good things about that book Jackie. It's definitly one I'm looking forward to. And I've heard the audio is great too.

message 5: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 105 comments Yes, it is. That is actually how I am reading this book!

message 6: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 105 comments Amazon has the Kindle version of The Woman on the Orient Express for $1.99 with an additional $1.99 for audio. I just purchased mine.

message 7: by Jan, Moderator (new)

Jan | 11581 comments Jackie wrote: "Yes, it is. That is actually how I am reading this book!"

I think that's how I'll read it too! And I was listening to a library blog a couple days ago and I think I heard that there is a wine out called Magpie to help promote the book. I may have heard wrong but I'm pretty sure that's what they said because they even had the bottle there with the red label like the book.

message 8: by Denise (last edited Oct 22, 2017 04:57PM) (new)

Denise | 2468 comments I'm currently reading Playing With Fire by Peter Robinson (set in England) and listening to The Purity of Vengeance by Jussi Adler-Olsen (set in Denmark) and enjoying both very much.

I just took note of the group read and think I'll join in on this as well - the Kindle book price is right but so is the Audible!:)

Tomorrow is my birthday and this group is like a fresh and new gift!

message 9: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 105 comments Jan wrote: "Jackie wrote: "Yes, it is. That is actually how I am reading this book!"

I think that's how I'll read it too! And I was listening to a library blog a couple days ago and I think I heard that there..."

Maybe I can find the wine to celebrate the end of the book.

message 10: by Jan, Moderator (new)

Jan | 11581 comments Happy, happpy birthday Denise!!! I'm honored you see this as a little gift.

And it looks like you are onboard for traveling through books! I'm always intrigued with your choice of books when I see your updates. I love historical mysteries and you have read so many. My TBR has grown watching you!

message 11: by Denise (new)

Denise | 2468 comments Jackie wrote: "Amazon has the Kindle version of The Woman on the Orient Express for $1.99 with an additional $1.99 for audio. I just purchased mine."

Thanks for the tip Jackie!

message 12: by Jan, Moderator (new)

Jan | 11581 comments Jackie wrote: "Amazon has the Kindle version of The Woman on the Orient Express for $1.99 with an additional $1.99 for audio. I just purchased mine."

I didn't notice the audio for 1.99 too! Thanks for sharing :)

message 13: by Jan, Moderator (new)

Jan | 11581 comments Jackie wrote: "Maybe I can find the wine to celebrate the end of the book.

Great idea Jackie!!

message 14: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 105 comments Glad to see you here Denise. Happy early birthday!

message 15: by Jillian (last edited Oct 22, 2017 04:30PM) (new)

Jillian | 1480 comments My travel bag is bulging with partially read books!

Helen of Sparta (Helen of Sparta #1) by Amalia Carosella Helen of Sparta/Amalia Carosella I'm reading this book for a book set in Greece.

The Cook's Comeuppance by Victoria Benchley The Cook's Comeuppance/Victoria Benchley I'm reading this book for a book set in Spain. It is the third book in a series and I don't like reading books out of order but I also really need a book set in Spain so went ahead and started with this one. So far, it is going good.

The Fireman by Joe Hill The Fireman/Joe Hill This is out of my comfort zone but I'm enjoying it.

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman The Graveyard Book/Neil Gaiman Buddy read with my son.

James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl James and the Giant Peach/Roald Dahl Kids bedtime book (not our favorite Dahl book).

The Disappearing Spoon And Other True Tales of Madness, Love, and the History of the World from the Periodic Table of the Elements by Sam Kean The Disappearing Spoon: And Other True Tales of Madness, Love, and the History of the World from the Periodic Table of the Elements/Sam Kean Very interesting and a great narrator.

Dead Beat (The Dresden Files, #7) by Jim Butcher Dead Beat/Jim Butcher Reread, I can only go to sleep listening to an audio book and James Marsters has such a relaxing voice.

message 16: by Jillian (new)

Jillian | 1480 comments Happy early birthday Denise!

message 17: by Jan, Moderator (new)

Jan | 11581 comments Wow you do have a lot of books going on Jillian! And such a wide assortment I need to get back to Dresden. I think I stopped at 4. though I was reading them rather than listening.

message 18: by Jillian (new)

Jillian | 1480 comments It is one series that improves as it goes on and audio version is much better than the text version.

message 19: by Denise (new)

Denise | 2468 comments Jackie wrote: "Glad to see you here Denise. Happy early birthday!"

Thanks, Jackie! Glad to see you here too!

message 20: by Jan, Moderator (new)

Jan | 11581 comments Jillian wrote: "It is one series that improves as it goes on and audio version is much better than the text version."

I didn't start it in audio so I'm not I will switch. And I'm a slow listening and own soooo many I need to get to.

message 21: by Linda (new)

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 85 comments Hello ladies!!!

I’m not a huge challenge person but will participate in as many of them that I can.

My current travel bag is full as well -

Ghost Road Blues (Pine Deep, #1) by Jonathan Maberry Jonathan Maberry this is my first book by this author and I’m listening to it this month because I love reading/ listening to creepy books for the month of October

Without Merit by Colleen Hoover by Colleen Hoover this is CoHo’s new book, I’m a still a newbie with CoHo, this is my second book by her and I’m loving it!!

A Court of Thorns and Roses (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #1) by Sarah J. Maas by Sarah J. Maas this one is also a new to me author and I’m reading this book as a group read from another group that I’m in and I’m loving this one as well

The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls by Jeannette Walls - listening to this one

And my last book that I am reading is

Red Rising (Red Rising, #1) by Pierce Brown by Pierce Brown - this one is going a bit slow for me and it keeps getting pushed down my list but I will get it finished,

So yeah, I do have several books going and unfortunately I’m not a fast reader but I am enjoy8ng all of these books!!! And I can’t wait to get to know you all better!

message 22: by Jan, Moderator (new)

Jan | 11581 comments Welcome to the fun Linda!! You do have a lot going. My top is three and then I get frustrated because I start losing interest.

But my attention span is not what it used to be.... :(

message 23: by Linda (new)

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 85 comments Jan I try not to have this many going, at the same time but this time they got away from me and I’m working on getting them finished sooner rather than later,

message 24: by Jan, Moderator (new)

Jan | 11581 comments Good luck Linda!!!

message 25: by Joann (new)

Joann M  (owlreviewbooks) | 29 comments Hi everyone!!

Jan I am so glad you started this group Looks like a lot of fun.

My bag changes daily. Right now I have 2 going

Listening to Uncommon Type Some Stories by Tom Hanks

and just about to finish Begin Again (Again, #1) by Mona Kasten

Can't wait to get to know everyone!!

message 26: by Jan, Moderator (new)

Jan | 11581 comments Hi Joann! So glad you have joined. How the Tom Hanks book going? I recommended the audio to my library and hope they get it soon.

message 27: by Joann (new)

Joann M  (owlreviewbooks) | 29 comments Jan wrote: "Hi Joann! So glad you have joined. How the Tom Hanks book going? I recommended the audio to my library and hope they get it soon."

Hey Jan Thanks for the invite!!! Tom is reading to me sooooo good..I hope you get it too...but FYI L.A. County has it.

message 28: by Jan, Moderator (new)

Jan | 11581 comments The audio?? I just looked a couple days ago and only saw the ebook. Going to go check it out!

message 29: by Joann (new)

Joann M  (owlreviewbooks) | 29 comments Jan wrote: "The audio?? I just looked a couple days ago and only saw the ebook. Going to go check it out!"

yep thats where I got it from

message 30: by Jan, Moderator (new)

Jan | 11581 comments You are all over the place Dee! I haven't read a Jean Auel book in years. Though I remember enjoying them.

But the Australian Series looks really good. Hmmmm....something to consider for when I need a book from Australia.

message 31: by Allie (last edited Oct 22, 2017 08:37PM) (new)

Allie | 935 comments Hey all!

I'm currently ensconced in a British manor during the Napoleonic wars!!

Reading the 11th book in the Pink Carnation series: The Mark of the Midnight Manzanilla (Pink Carnation, #11) by Lauren Willig by Lauren Willig.

message 32: by Ginger (new)

Ginger Allie wrote: "Hey all!

I'm currently ensconced in a British manor during the Napoleonic wars!!

Reading the 11th book in the Pink Carnation series: The Mark of the Midnight Manzanilla (Pink Carnation, #11) by Lauren Willig by [..."

Allie, I have the first 2 books in the Pink Carnation series, but haven't read them yet. :)

message 33: by Ginger (new)

Ginger I'm about 1/2 way through The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern . I think it's a book that readers either "hate it" or "love it". I'm loving it. :)

message 34: by Allie (new)

Allie | 935 comments ^I loved it too. Listened to the audio and the narrator was fantastic!

message 35: by Ginger (last edited Oct 22, 2017 09:06PM) (new)

Ginger Allie wrote: "^I loved it too. Listened to the audio and the narrator was fantastic!"

Good to know. I did hit a little bit of a slow part, but I didn't give up. I'm hoping to finish it by mid-week.

message 36: by Jan, Moderator (new)

Jan | 11581 comments Good morning everyone! Happy Monday!

Are you all ready for another week? I work from home most days but often have to be in the office on Mondays & Tuesdays. So I had a 40 minutes drive this morning and started a new audio book in the car. It's re-read for me but I love the series - it makes me laugh: Soulless by Gail Carriger
Soulless (Parasol Protectorate, #1) by Gail Carriger

It takes a steampunk novel so it takes place in Fictional England.

Hope everyone has a great day :)

message 37: by Jan, Moderator (last edited Oct 23, 2017 08:34AM) (new)

Jan | 11581 comments Allie wrote: "Hey all!

I'm currently ensconced in a British manor during the Napoleonic wars!! Reading the 11th book in the Pink Carnation series: The Mark of the Midnight Manzanilla (Pink Carnation, #11) by Lauren Willig by [..."

Welcome Allie!! #11...wow! I keep looking at that series but just haven't gotten around to it. Looks like it must be good if you have read the previous 10.

message 38: by Jan, Moderator (new)

Jan | 11581 comments Ginger wrote: "I'm about 1/2 way through The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern. I think it's a book that readers either "hate it" or "love it". I'm loving it. :)"

Hey Ginger!!! Thanks for joining and for popping over here. I have Night Circus on my TBR and plan on doing the audio. But there are just too many books to get to.

Maybe when I retire I will get to them all...lol.

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

Seems like one of my books had a bit of Wanderlust... today I recieved a book I've won as giveaway - on July, 19. :D

Fractured Love by Ella James

message 40: by Jan, Moderator (new)

Jan | 11581 comments Getting book mail is so fun!

message 41: by Barb (new)

Barb | 429 comments Allie wrote: "Reading the 11th book in the Pink Carnation series: The Mark of the Midnight Manzanilla (Pink Carnation, #11) by Lauren Willig"

I was so sad when that series ended :(

message 42: by Margo (last edited Oct 23, 2017 01:04PM) (new)

Margo I'm traveling between US, UK, Nigeria and Saudi Arabia with my current listen, The Power by Naomi Alderman so I'm getting around!! It's a kick-ass sci-fi story. On GR it is classified as feminist but I would strongly dissagree.

On my kindle I am in Australia with Songlines by Carolyn Denman. It is YA, suitable for young teens.

I have a self imposed book-buying ban at the moment so alas I will not be joining you on the Orient Express (which is about 3 times the price on kindle UK) but I hope you enjoy the journey ;-)

message 43: by Jan, Moderator (new)

Jan | 11581 comments That sound interesting Margo. Some of the comments compare it to Handmaid's Tale. Would you agree with that comparison?

You will be missed on the Group Read but completely understand. That's too bad about the price.

message 44: by Margo (new)

Margo Jan wrote: "That sound interesting Margo. Some of the comments compare it to Handmaid's Tale. Would you agree with that comparison?

You will be missed on the Group Read but completely understand. That's too b..."

When I think about it, it's a bit similar to The Handmaid's Tale. It has the same gritty, distopian feel. The book I'm thinking about most as I read it is Animal Farm. Not for style, just content. There's a lot of politics going on in it. It

message 45: by Lena (new)

Lena (nlgmcr69) | 39 comments Jan wrote: "I'm also looking forward to starting our Group Read and traveling the Orient Express with The Woman on the Orient Express by Lindsay Jayne Ashford..."

I REALLY want to read this book; however, apparently my library does not have a copy and I don't use eReaders....so now to decide if I order it off Amazon or not.

message 46: by Jan, Moderator (new)

Jan | 11581 comments We would love to have you join but I understand the dilemma Lena. Though it's not too bad for the paperback on Amazon...4.99. Not sure how much for shipping would be since I have Prime.

message 47: by JoAnne (new)

JoAnne | 263 comments It's on audio on Scribd.

message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

Lena, maybe you can order it from the library? In our libraries, for a small fee, you can order any book that a other library has in the country

message 49: by Jan, Moderator (new)

Jan | 11581 comments That's a great idea Rosa!

message 50: by Jan, Moderator (new)

Jan | 11581 comments Happy Tuesday!

It's really hot and windy here in California. It 7:20 and already 87 degrees. It thinks its going to be over 100 degrees again.

I have a large mexican lime tree and there are hundred of limes on the ground. Time for keylime pie!!

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 30 31