Colleen Houck Book Club discussion

Tiger's Dream (The Tiger Saga, #5)
This topic is about Tiger's Dream
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Past Chats > Tiger's Dream chat with Colleen Houck

Comments Showing 1-50 of 82 (82 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Colleen Houck | 1525 comments Mod
Welcome to the chat! Colleen will be answering questions during the month of May 2018. One lucky person who asks a question anytime between now and then will win a Tiger's Dream prize pack!

message 2: by Frida (new) - added it

Frida | 3 comments Why did you decided to make a 5th book? I mean, everything seemed rapped up in the fourth book. What inspired you to write the 5th one? - I can’t wait for it to come out. Greetings from the grande valley (Texas) !

These Violent Delights (Robin) | 5 comments Oh gosh so many questions I could ask... I absolutely adore this series, it was one of the series that actually got me into reading books for pleasure. I absolutely cannot wait for this book!

I guess my question is, How was it getting back into writing about this world again? Was it difficult to get started on this book because of the long break between the rest of the series and this book? Or was writing this book a breeze?

message 4: by Shay (new)

Shay (shayreader) | 13 comments Have you experienced anything of India firsthand? Every time I read these, I find myself wanting to go there.

message 5: by Milena (last edited Oct 01, 2017 08:16AM) (new)

Milena (love_tea78) You mentioned during Reunited chat that you were inspired to write after reading Twilight series. Stephanie Meyer revealed that Bella and Edward's story came to her in a dream. How did Kelsey, Ren, and Kishan's story come to you? And why did you chose Indian mythology for your first series?

Lauryn Jacqueline (laurynjacqueline) | 4 comments After rereading this series for about the 6th time, I've always wondered what made you chose to write about India? Did any one inspire you when you created Mr. Kadam's character? And finally my last truly puzzling question, how on earth did you ever think of the names "Dhiren" and "Kishan"?

message 7: by Nour (new) - added it

Nour | 1 comments Honestly, I’m not sure where to start.. I bought the Tiger’s curse without knowing what it was, it just seemed interesting. After I read it, I was immediately ordered the rest of the series. I swear I have never read a book that affected me that much, and that’s saying something! I was actually emotionally unbalanced, and I left EVERYTHING to read the books. I’m glad it was in summer... I’m so glad Kelsey ended with Ren, because I was gonna cry for the rest of my life if she didn’t. This series is one of the most amazing books I have ever read. Thank You for writing such a beautiful book.
When I heard there was a new book coming out, my brain was a turmoil of emotions: happiness, excitement, anticipation, but mostly fear. PLeaaaaaaaaase tell me Kelsey will stay with run, my heart won’t be able to handle it anymore. But I’m sure that whatever you write will be awesome, no matter how heartbreaking. So I just wanted to ask, will Tiger’s dream include the same characters? Will it be a continuation or a different story?

message 8: by Daniela (new)

Daniela (books_and_dice) | 4 comments I love this series so much, so when I heard about a fifth book coming out, I flipped out. Will this follow Kelsey's point of view, or be a dual, or follow someone else? How much time passes between the fourth book and this one?

Sonya Kennedy | 5 comments Why did you and the publishers decide to push the release of Tiger's Dream back so much? I loved the Reawakened series, but I was puzzled at the gap between Tiger's Destiny and Tiger's Dream. Was the writing process for Reawakened difficult knowing that the Tiger saga was incomplete? And did you ever find yourself mixing up the stories at all? Thank you! For the questions and choosing to be a writer!

message 10: by Anna (new)

Anna | 1 comments What inspired the twist of the love triangles, or in the Reawakened series, squares I guess? that are in your books?

anka_fm | 1 comments I adore The Tiger’s Curse series and can’t wait for the final book!
Why did you decide to use Indian mythology?
Have you been to India?
Where did you learn about Indian mythology?
Who will be the main protagonists?
Will we see Ren and Kelsey?
How many pages are in the book?

message 12: by Melissa (new) - added it

Melissa Heistand | 11 comments Why is this one so much bigger than the others?

message 13: by Диана (new)

Диана Димитрова | 1 comments Was there any romantic feelings between Ren and Anamika or Ren and any other woman except Kelsey?

message 14: by Natalie (new) - added it

Natalie Arroyo | 45 comments We all thought Tiger's Destiny was the end, but you gave us the surprise about Tiger's Dream at end of the novella Tiger's Promise. What inspired you to write the 6th book?

message 15: by Natalie (new) - added it

Natalie Arroyo | 45 comments Will Tiger's Dream be able to answer the question I had in mind? As to why Phet told Kishan that Kelsey needed him?

Lokesh was defeated, the curse was lifted. What could possibly happen that Kells would need Kishan?

message 16: by Maddie (new) - added it

Maddie | 8 comments Did you always know that you were going to write five books and not just end at Tiger's Destiny? I thought that Tiger'a Destiny was the end until the end until the Tiger's Promise novela came out and we got the little snippet came out. I'm super excited and I can wait to read it! I can usually finish a Tiger Saga book in a day if I really try so I think it's going to be really hard to put down a book with over 600 pages!

message 17: by Mckenzie (new)

Mckenzie Woller | 1 comments Mrs. Collen Houck I would first like to tell you how much I loved the Tiger's Curse series. The first time i read it I was finished in a week from sheer excitement!! It would have been less time if I wasn't packing (ok fangirling over for now). I'm most likely asking a FAQ, but Im gonna ask it anyway. We all know that Kishan drempt of a baby with his pirate gold eyes, but I would like to know if a) we get to see (er read about) the baby and b) if we get to learn more about Kishan's sparking love for Durga/Annimika. Once again I thank you for writing one of my favorite series. Ill never get over Ren and Kelsey's infectious love, they are too cute!!!!!!

~McKenzie

message 18: by Aleksandra (last edited Jan 09, 2018 02:25PM) (new)

Aleksandra Strug | 1 comments Mrs. Collen !!!
I just want to say, that you are amazing person, I just finished rereading all series drurning this week. I am your fan since 2012 and Tiger's Curse it's still my favorite. Every time when I am sad or feeling like this is not my day I love to reach for Tiger's Curse. I can read this series all along all time long. I am sooo happy that the polish version of Tiger's Curse was realased. I am shocked that new book is coming soon, I am so happyyyyyyy you don't even know. Every time when I'm reading 3 and 4 part I am crying because I know what is gonna happen I was actually emotionally unbalanced I am still thinking about Ren and Kelsey ;) I just fall in love Ren, like, for real.
I have a question to you, It's been a lot of time since tiger's destiny was realased and since then have you ever want to end this series on Destiny? Or you were still working on it? And how in world you find so many accurate poem when Ren was talking to Kelsey? I also wanted to say thank you, for being with your fans xoxo greetings from Poland! love you <3

Rachel (rachelgoodman) Tiger's Destiny ended so well. I'm extremely excited for Tiger's Dream, but I'm wondering, what made you decide to write a fifth book?

message 20: by Joy (new) - added it

Joy S. (Gemmy23) | 1 comments I’m looking forward to buying and reading this book. I haven’t preordered it because from Amazon it comes in the kindle and paperback editions. I have the the 1st four books in hardcover and am hoping that there will be a hardcover edition. Can someone tell me if they will publish a hardcover edition of The Tigers Dream?

message 21: by Erika (new)

Erika (bookhoarder32) Do you work with a specific bookstore we could order through and get a signed copy of Tiger's Dream? (Like Maggie Stiefvater works with Fountain Bookstore, Inc.)

message 22: by Erika (new)

Erika (bookhoarder32) Joy wrote: "I’m looking forward to buying and reading this book. I haven’t preordered it because from Amazon it comes in the kindle and paperback editions. I have the the 1st four books in hardcover and am hop..."

This blog post answers that - http://colleenhouck.com/blog/2018/01/...

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

What was it like for you coming back to the Tiger's Curse series? Did you have any challenges writing from a different point of view than Kelsey?

Crazy question: If your characters from the Tiger's Curse series joined your characters from the Reawakened Series on a road trip, what would happen?

message 24: by Kelly (new) - added it

Kelly Risser (kar2b) | 3 comments Mostly I'm curious what age Kelsey and Ren are now. And, I'm guess that Kishan is somewhat ageless in his current role.

How much after Tiger's Destiny do the events of Tiger's Dream take place? If it's much later, was it difficult to write the characters as they matured?

Not a question, but a comment - what I love most about all your books are the vivid descriptions. You do an amazing job of bringing the scenery and characters to life!

message 25: by Shay (new)

Shay (shayreader) | 13 comments Why did you wait so long to write this? Besides working on other things.

Gretal (booksandbreadcrumbs) First of all, I can't believe Tiger's Dream is at last coming out. I'm so excited to read it. Second, it's so much longer than the other books. Is there a specific reason why?

message 27: by Natalie (new) - added it

Natalie Arroyo | 45 comments After you wrote Tiger's Destiny, what thoughts did you have about Tiger's Dream? Most of us though Destiny was the last. I know I did.

message 28: by Ali Kiki (new) - added it

Ali Kiki (love2dazzle) | 10 comments Do you feel that Tiger's Dream is a good wrap up to the series or would you want to keep writing more?

Winston (winstonchau) | 1 comments I'm sure all your fans have been waiting so long for this release! I know I have! I'm SO excited I'll have to reread the series!! That book is thick at 800 pages! I remember carrying Tiger's Curse to read at school and that was heavy!

Who designs the covers? They're all so amazing

message 30: by dee booknerd (new) - added it

dee booknerd (deebooknerd) | 1 comments Hi Colleen,

I love your work and I love Tiger Saga's. They are beautifully written and paint a picture of the culture in India. The world Kelsey lives in is very relatable, yet she is thrown into this adventure that I personally experienced through reading your detailed work.

I want to ask a few questions, where did the inspiration come to write about India and the culture of India? I am very fascinated by different cultures and how perfectly it comes together in your book. Thank you for creating this world that I "lived" through Kelsey.

Another question is, what is next after Tiger Saga? What other fascinating work do you have in store for us?

Again, Thank you Colleen for inspiration to read and sharing your work with us.

Sincerely,
Deanna

message 31: by Teash (new)

Teash | 2 comments Dear Colleen,
I read Tiger's Curse at around the age of 11(I'm nearly 18 now), and I truly have fell in love with reading from that point onwards. It has given me well needed advice and support in my moments of need. I even made my mum read it hahaha, so you can understand how excited I truly am to read Tiger's Dream.

First I would like to understand how you thought of such an amazing idea for a book? Does it reflect your own life in any way?

What got you into reading? and did you ever imagine a book you wrote would become this popular?

There has been rumours going around for year now that there is going to be a Tiger's Curse movie released. Both me and my mum have been waiting for ages now. So I was wondering are these just rumours? or do we maybe have a movie to look forward to in the future?

I Know you had to re read the series to write Tiger's dream, Is their anything you wish you had of done differently, and why?

Because of the Tiger's Curse series it has become my dream to be a writer, and allow people who read my books to have a chance to experience the feelings I felt when I read Tigers Curse. So this leads to my last question, what advice could you give to a new writer like me?

Thank you so much, and thank you for this incredible book. I am very excited to read it.

Sincerely,
Teash

message 32: by Shannon (new) - added it

Shannon (myheart4him) | 2 comments I prefer audible books. Any idea when Audible will release the 5th book?

message 33: by Ashley (new) - added it

Ashley | 78 comments I can't wait to get my claws on this book! I love everything you write. My question for you is would you ever consider writing another Shapeshifter animal series and if so what animal would you consider? Also, in Tiger's Dream Will we be seeing any other shapeshifter's or others who are cursed to become animals?

message 34: by Navreen (new) - added it

Navreen Sandhu | 1 comments Hi Colleen,
I just wanted to ask if a physical copy of Tiger's Dream will be available soon? If so I will be content in looking forward to it!☺️
Thank you!

message 35: by Teash (new)

Teash | 2 comments Hey Colleen,
Will Tiger's dream be coming out on any other book websites like booktopia? From Amazon it costs up to $40 because the extra money for shipping to where I live. I have the whole series, and would love to have Tiger's dream as a physical copy.
Thank you very much :)

message 36: by Hope (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hope Mckenney (booksandravenclaws) | 4 comments I want to start by just putting the claim in here to be your biggest fan because I am.

Spoilers below

My question is- why did Ren and Kishan have to die after Durga and Kelsey? And what about kadam? Is kadam in one way you? Is kadam in one way god? And why did you decide to put him in that role as opposed to creating someone else such as Durga?

message 37: by Natalie (new) - added it

Natalie Arroyo | 45 comments Judging by the Teaser Tuesdays on Tiger's Dream, will we be able to see more of Kishan and Durga/Anamika together like a team? See their relationship grow?

SO EXCITED!!!

message 38: by Angharad (new) - added it

Angharad Knapp (ScarletDeathNovel) | 4 comments I’m not sure how I feel about Kishen in his human form on the cover. I miss my tigers. Also I know for a fact that the egg Kishen picked is the same stone that the seal that his kingdom had. But I may be wrong. I’m super excited for this book and I’ve been waiting a very long long time for it to come out.

Frida wrote: "Why did you decided to make a 5th book? I mean, everything seemed rapped up in the fourth book. What inspired you to write the 5th one? - I can’t wait for it to come out. Greetings from the grande ..."

Hello back to Texas! I thought I'd be able to finish everything in a mega book four, AKA Tiger's Destiny. By the time I introduced Anamika, the book was already way too big. I knew then I needed to add a fifth book. Dream was always in my mind and the story was left unfinished. My publisher wanted to stop the series with Kelsey's story, and I'm sure there are many readers who feel the same, but I really wanted to get the whole thing out there. It took some time but I finally made it happen.

These Violent Delights wrote: "I guess my question is, How was it getting back into writing about this world again? Was it difficult to get started on this book because of the long break between the rest of the series and this book? Or was writing this book a breeze?"

It was actually so, so easy going back to this world. I know the characters so well. Having said that, I had to reread all the books and take tons of notes since my brain had already moved on to a different series. I wanted to make sure I remembered all the little details and caught all the Easter eggs I'd planted. Considering the size, I wrote this one rather quickly. It took about six months or so.

Shaylee*cheeky* wrote: "Have you experienced anything of India firsthand? Every time I read these, I find myself wanting to go there."

Nothing more than Indian restaurants. Luckily, I had a great editor from India who helped me with all the niggling details. I have a trip to India on my bucket list. So excited to one day go and see everything I wrote about.

Milena wrote: "You mentioned during Reunited chat that you were inspired to write after reading Twilight series. Stephanie Meyer revealed that Bella and Edward's story came to her in a dream. How did Kelsey, Ren, and Kishan's story come to you? And why did you chose Indian mythology for your first series?"

It all started with a Beauty and the Beast theme. I chose a tiger for my beast and thought I'd set the book in Russia at first, then researching the white tiger took me to India. I started exploring Indian tiger myths and it just blossomed from there.

Lauryn wrote: "After rereading this series for about the 6th time, I've always wondered what made you chose to write about India? Did any one inspire you when you created Mr. Kadam's character? And finally my last truly puzzling question, how on earth did you ever think of the names "Dhiren" and "Kishan"?"

India mythology was inspired by the tiger. The tiger always came first for me. Kadam is a mix of two great characters, Mr. Spock from Star Trek and Mr. Roarke from Fantasy Island. He's mysterious and logical. This is where the Mr. comes from by the way. Ren and Kishan got their names from babynames.com. =) I keep of book of interesting names too but for the Indian names I had to go online. I think Kishan means the color black which is fitting and Ren is brave or warrior or something. I can't remember exactly. Anik means soldier and Nilima is a flower, I think.

Nour wrote: "So I just wanted to ask, will Tiger’s dream include the same characters? Will it be a continuation or a different story?"

For those of you who haven't read it, Tiger's Dream is a continuation. It's told from Kishan's perspective. All the same characters will be in the story but they don't all share center stage. When I describe the book, I say it's a conclusion that will flip the curse upside down and if you aren't shocked by all the reveals, I'd be very, very surprised.

Louise wrote: "I was wondering, the dream that Kishan had at the end of Tigers Destiny, is it possible that he could be tied to it. He is after all in the past and time in novels as Dr Who put it, is wibbly wobbl..."

It is all wibbly wobbly. =) I'm not sure which dream you're referring to. The biggest dream in this series, the one that affects the characters the most, are the dreams that occur in the Grove of Dreams in Shangri-La. Kishan tells Kelsey a part of what he sees but he misunderstands it a bit and then there's the part he doesn't share. You get a sneak peek of that dream in Tiger's Dream when he goes back to Shangri-La with Anamika.

Daniela wrote: "I love this series so much, so when I heard about a fifth book coming out, I flipped out. Will this follow Kelsey's point of view, or be a dual, or follow someone else? How much time passes between the fourth book and this one? ."

Tiger's Dream is in Kishan's perspective. I didn't think I'd be able to write a male perspective but it was a surprisingly smooth task. He had a lot to say and the words just flowed. When this book is...is a difficult thing to describe. There's a bit of time travel going on =) but it picks up in the beginning about six months after Ren and Kelsey leave the past where Lokesh was finally defeated.

Sonya wrote: "Why did you and the publishers decide to push the release of Tiger's Dream back so much? I loved the Reawakened series, but I was puzzled at the gap between Tiger's Destiny and Tiger's Dream. Was the writing process for Reawakened difficult knowing that the Tiger saga was incomplete? And did you ever find yourself mixing up the stories at all? Thank you! For the questions and choosing to be a writer! ."

Good question. The editor who worked on the tiger books wanted to stop the story after Kelsey got her happily ever after but I knew there was more to tell. There were no other publishers in the US willing to pick up a final book in a series so I had to first find a new publishing house and then negotiate writing Dream into my contract. I wish it could have come out with a bang right after Destiny. It wasn't meant to be, but I'm very proud of this book and really happy to finally share it with my readers.

As for the two series, it wasn't too hard to keep them separate though I just recently figured out a way to bridge the four worlds I've been working on. It was pretty much a mind blowing experience for me. It's a bit Marvelesque actually.

Anna wrote: "What inspired the twist of the love triangles, or in the Reawakened series, squares I guess? that are in your books?"

I really like romantic tension in books and its very, very hard to keep characters who are desperately in love from being together, especially in a long series. A love triangle or quadrangle is one tool that helps me do that. I am a Twilight fan and poor Jake didn't have much of a chance. I wanted Kishan to actually have a shot with Kelsey and show that he was just as good a guy. Seeing things from his perspective in Dream was an interesting twist for me.

anka_fm wrote: "I adore The Tiger’s Curse series and can’t wait for the final book!
Why did you decide to use Indian mythology?
Have you been to India?
Where did you learn about Indian mythology?
Who will be the main protagonists?
Will we see Ren and Kelsey?
How many pages are in the book? "

There are a lot of great tiger myths that come from India so it was pretty much a no brainer.

I haven't been to India yet though I would love to go someday.

I studied Indian mythology on the internet, in mythology books, and then made up a lot of stuff on my own such as the story of the Princess and the Tiger in Tiger's Dream.

You will see Ren and Kelsey but perhaps not as you expect. The main protagonist of this story is Kishan.

It's a big book, sitting at over 800 pages!

Melissa wrote: "Why is this one so much bigger than the others?"

Kishan had a lot to say. ;)

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.