Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Bannerless (The Bannerless Saga, #1)
This topic is about Bannerless
Group Read - Bannerless > Group Read - Bannerless Chap 6-9 Spoilers welcome

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14838 comments The second section chapters 6-9 from page 86-181
If the first to post, please briefly summarize to guide the discussion. Spoilers welcome on this topic

Geri Dak and Enid traveling to towns like Saved. Dak greets an old lover, Xander. Enid gets jealous when Dak abandons her fror Xander that night.Two investigators approach. We are not told why they are there.

Dak confirms he is living in Pasadan. Dak travels one week out of month now. Dak says he was out of town when Sero died. Enid asks to talk to Kirk, Philo’s son. Enid suspects Philo and Kirk are hiding something. Enid learns through Dak that Kirk and Miran are in a relationship. Also finds out that Ariana and Philo may be arguing over who’s household should get a banner. Through research Enid finds out that Pasadan has no quota violations in a decade. Tomas believes Miran is last person to see Sero alive.

Speculation over why the investigators are there. Enid and Dak leave the town. Enid accuses Dak of being afraid of investigators. He tells a story about investigators who broke up his family. Auntie Katy’s journal documents The Fall. Flu epidemics, storms, destructive winds, tornados.

Enid’s first lead investigation was about a household hoarding wheat. Enid learns from Ariana she called investigator because Philo commands too much power. Enid finds out through Ariana that Dak was in town on the day Sero died. Truth comes out that Ariana believes Philo is violating quotas. Enid and Tomas wonder if Sero knew about the quota violation. They decide to talk to Miran. Kirk, angry about Miran being interrogated, barges in and starts a fight. He is tranquilized. Miran verifies Kirk wants a banner with Miran. Enid declares the investigators won’t leave until they get answers. Philo approaches Enid and tries to bribe Enid with the offer of a banner.

Geri The author has drawn a possible connection between Sero’s death and Philo’s probable quota violation. I am not sure of this, though. It could be a red herring. I still think Dak may have something to do with Sero’s death. Not sure how.

I did find it interesting to finally find out what happened to cause “The Fall”. I am finding the book to be a pretty even mix of post apocalyptic and mystery. Both are genres I like.

message 4: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14838 comments Geri: I also found the clues about the mysterious "Fall" subtly revealed through Aunt Katy's journals and memories are quite eerie for many contemporary reasons. That frisson of resonance is what both 'draws me to' and 'repels me from' dystopian stories.
As I just finished chapter nine I also find this book's style and mix of dystopia and a solid procedural mystery very enjoyable.
Geri wrote: "The author has drawn a possible connection between Sero’s death and Philo’s probable quota violation. I am not sure of this, though. It could be a red herring. I still think Dak may have something ..."

message 5: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14838 comments Geri: The reactions from almost all to the Investigators is extreme in some cases, such as with Dak. I am not sure that anything he tells Enid is true and hope we find out soon how Enid managed to get away from him or what he may have done to extricate himself.

These sorts of subtle reveals are nicely done. Enid is a different person in many ways than the girl who left with Dak, and yet the same perhaps as her adventurous twelve-year old self. As she described the reasons someone might desire to be an investigator I had to wonder what her prevalent motive was.

Geri Yes, it can be a bit unnerving reading about how civilization as we know it collapsed. And see parallels in the world today. All the destruction from hurricanes recently, fires etc..

I knew the relationship between Enid and Dak would not last. But there are some feelings still there complicating things, even after all those years.

I agree the investigators aren’t popular. That Enid chose to do this says a lot about her.

Angela Bennett | 15 comments Since Dak's introduction, there has been a luring mystery about him, and even more so now.

message 8: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14838 comments Angela: yes there has, partly from the partial reveals through time jumps leaving gaps and how Enid was less than thrilled to see him again. And now, what does he know.
Angela wrote: "Since Dak's introduction, there has been a luring mystery about him, and even more so now."

Geri I also found Enid and Dak’s relationship interesting. In this section I started to see some of the things that would cause trouble for them. They had a complicated relationship. And I thought the author did a good job with this. At this time, I was really wondering if Enid’s feelings would get in the way of her investigation.

message 10: by Ann (last edited Oct 22, 2017 04:33PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14838 comments Geri: Yes, I think we wondered if Enid's feelings for Dak would get in the way partly because we didn't know what happened between them before to end it. And because it appeared Dak thought he could influence her. (Subtly, but that feeling was also felt somewhat from Tomas' attitude as well)

Ceelee | 211 comments Very interesting reading in these chapter and I like the subtle reveals too The story with its post-apocalyptic setting with a "traditional" murder investigation works pretty well. I had my doubt about this book but I like to try new things and I am glad I decided to read BANNERLESS.

I agree with those who feel uncomfortable whit the details of the Fall as for me it is one reason I don't read this type of novel. My impression is the Fall happened a long time ago, probably decades and not something that happened recent as the region seems to be pretty organized and thriving, although there are places that are not. The references to all the floods and fires and running out of resources are pretty chilling but the part where it talks about how there is no electricity or phone communication any more and no Internet access. That would definitely destroy the USA for sure and any other developed nation. I can't even imagine living like that beyond a temporary basis.

I liked the reference to Kansas because it set the area in a location for me and I figure this must be California or maybe even Oregon, possibly Washington State since there are many fishing villages. The talk about Kansas also gives the impression the Fall happened in the distant past because Enid and Dak seem to never have heard of it before.

I;m still not sure about Dak, Finding out he actually lived in Pasdan and he is a part of Philos' household really puts some suspicion on him so it does put him under suspicion but I am hoping for Enid's sake he isn't involved in the crime. I think Philos is up to his neck in it! What nerve he had to try to bribe an investigator! Guilty people show their guilt when they do that!

I gotta get back to this book! Hopefully I can finish it today! I want to see how all this plays out!

message 12: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14838 comments Ceelee- I also enjoyed imagining where the main story took place and while reading I had imagined California and a coastal road that connected the network of settlements.
It was creepy to imagine how easily the lack of modern technology could devastate, and how quickly. This book still resonates with me even as some details fade.

OMalleycat | 1448 comments Geri wrote: "The author has drawn a possible connection between Sero’s death and Philo’s probable quota violation. I am not sure of this, though. It could be a red herring..."

I'm thinking it's a red herring, going by the age-old mystery convention that Philo is just acting too suspicious to be the actual perpetrator.

Geri also wrote: "I did find it interesting to finally find out what happened to cause “The Fall”"

I think there must be more than has been revealed at this point. There has to be a reason that virtually everyone in every settlement is made so deeply uneasy by the Investigators.

OMalleycat | 1448 comments Ann wrote: " Enid is a different person in many ways than the girl who left with Dak, and yet the same perhaps as her adventurous twelve-year old self. As she described the reasons someone might desire to be an investigator I had to wonder what her prevalent motive was."

I think all of her choices to this point are motivated by a deep restlessness: going to help out after the storm, going on the road with Dak, becoming an Investigator. Enid wants to find things out and put things together. In the section that I just read, at the end of Chap. 9, Enid ruminates on her impatience and says that others have recognized a deep anger in her. I'm wondering what is the source of her anger and impatience. Is it just a matter of personality or does she have some history we don't know about yet? This author is good at weaving mysteries within mysteries.

I'm also wondering if Enid's anger and impatience will cost her a lot, either in the rest of this book or future outings. The kind of society developed on the Coast Road, with communal living, bartering, enclosure, and limited options, isn't a social order that can absorb much conflict. This is surely an interesting story!

message 15: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14838 comments Jan: Isn't it interesting! The ideas behind the social order are not unheard of, but the adherence and minimal to zero tolerance are a good bit chilling. Enid's adventurous spirit and drive to become an investigator probably stem from a mix of rebellion and restlessness.

OMalleycat wrote: "The kind of society developed on the Coast Road, with communal living, bartering, enclosure, and limited options, isn't a social order that can absorb much conflict. This is surely an interesting story! "