Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Bannerless (The Bannerless Saga, #1)
This topic is about Bannerless
Group Read - Bannerless > Group Read - Bannerless general comments No spoilers

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14835 comments A post- apocalyptic world. A novice investigator and a possible murder. This is a different type of book than our usual group reads; are you planning on reading this book?

message 2: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14835 comments The book has thirteen chapters and in paperback (trade) has 274 pages.

Sandi (sandin954) | 1225 comments Yes, I have both the audio the e-version on hold.

Geri I'll be joining the discussion. It will be another week or so before I can start.

message 5: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3765 comments not a fan of post-apocalyptic books so probably won't be reading this one.

message 6: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14835 comments I'm going to try starting the print book this weekend!

Angela Bennett | 15 comments Like Sherry, not a fan of post-apocalyptic books but willing to try. Have the book but won't get to it until next week.

message 8: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14835 comments Angela: I've had mixed feelings about post-apocalyptic novels in the past.
I am willing to give this one a shot. :) I'm glad you are too!
Angela wrote: "Like Sherry, not a fan of post-apocalyptic books but willing to try. Have the book but won't get to it until next week."

Geri I’ll be starting today. I do like post apocalyptic stories so I’m looking forward to the book. I don’t think I have read a post apocalyptic mystery before! I’ve read a few of the Kitty Norville books by the author. This is something very different for her.

Ceelee | 211 comments I am willing to read anything! Not necessarily a fan of the post apocolyptian genre but sometimes I do find books I like even if I am not a fan of the genre they represent.

message 11: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14835 comments Ill be joining you Geri and Ceelee but I can't decide if it will be an audio or paperback. I am torn. I will see how print reading goes this weekend.

message 12: by Geri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Geri Ann...I started and wrote a summary and comments for ch 1-5. The weekend is a bit crazy. I probably won’t be able to read more until Monday or Tuesday. I have a kindle copy and audio. The audio is good. I am using the kindle copy to see the names and places. I am enjoying the book!

message 13: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14835 comments Geri: thanks for confirming the audio is good! My eyes are tired from computer screens all week at work so will probably use an audible credit and supplement from the paperback as you said you did for names, etc.
Thanks for doing the summary!
I had just started a different audio this morning so perhaps I can get into the first part of Bannerless on print.

message 14: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14835 comments Ceelee: I also find an open mind is a good way to find unexpected gems of books!

Ceelee wrote: "I am willing to read anything! Not necessarily a fan of the post apocolyptian genre but sometimes I do find books I like even if I am not a fan of the genre they represent."

message 15: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8222 comments I'm not a fan of post-apocalyptic novels, either, but I have an even stronger reason for bowing out... I am about 5 books behind in my group reads! Yikes! Interested to hear how you guys like it, I guess I'll see that in your monthly reads posts next month. ;-) Enjoy!

message 16: by Geri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Geri Carol/Bonadie wrote: "I'm not a fan of post-apocalyptic novels, either, but I have an even stronger reason for bowing out... I am about 5 books behind in my group reads! Yikes! Interested to hear how you guys like it, I..."

I definitely understand this! I find myself wanting to read them all and sometimes I over commit myself. And get behind. I hope you enjoy the other group reads!

message 17: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14835 comments This book surprised me in several good ways. It is truly a mystery and has a few thriller moments and the characters are quite interesting. There is a "police" procedural aspect to the book that was very well done. So if you are on the fence, give it a try when you have a spare couple of days. It is a fast reading book. :)

Yes, it is post-apocalyptic (but 100 years post) and a study of dystopia vs utopia that I found very intriguing.

Barry (barrypz) | 3102 comments I finally got around to this. I do like to see where authors take the world in an unforeseen,or barely foreseen world. Vaughn does a great job of a world that has collapsed due to the indignities we have imposed on it, and the series of rules the survivors have adapted to prevent it from happening again. This is not a book to be scared of reading, but a legitimate mystery with a deep human element.

message 19: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14835 comments Barry: I'm glad you liked it too. I decided to check on book two and am excited to see it is a July 2018 release! Looks like a good addition for group reads.
Barry wrote: "I finally got around to this. I do like to see where authors take the world in an unforeseen,or barely foreseen world. Vaughn does a great job of a world that has collapsed due to the indignities we imposed on it. ..."