Horror Aficionados discussion

Bone White
This topic is about Bone White
Buddy Reads > Bone White - Ronald Malfi

Comments Showing 1-50 of 76 (76 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kenneth (last edited Oct 03, 2017 04:59PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kenneth McKinley | 1529 comments Mod
This thread is for the Buddy Read of Bone White, We'll be starting it Monday, October 2nd. Anyone is welcome to join us. So far, we have:

Ken
Rachel
Latasha
Terry
Canavan

Anyone else want to join us?

Latasha (latasha513) | 11050 comments Mod
ohh! this sounds good. I so should be getting to my monthly group reads but I'd like to join you 2 if you don't mind!

Rachel Bea (gekrepten) | 1760 comments yes, join us!

Rachel Bea (gekrepten) | 1760 comments thanks for starting the thread, Ken :)

Latasha wrote: "ohh! this sounds good. I so should be getting to my monthly group reads but I'd like to join you 2 if you don't mind!"

By all means, please do.

ok thanks!

Terry | 4931 comments I was thinking about joining, although I may be a little slower paced, if that's alright.

Terry wrote: "I was thinking about joining, although I may be a little slower paced, if that's alright."

Terry, we're good with fellow readers of all speeds ;-)

message 9: by Canavan (last edited Oct 02, 2017 01:13PM) (new) - added it

Canavan | 556 comments I’m in. This will be my first Malfi.

Rachel Bea (gekrepten) | 1760 comments Awesome!!!

Canavan wrote: "I’m in. This will be my first Malfi."

mine too.

Terry | 4931 comments A lot of firsts. This will be mine as well.

Rachel Bea (gekrepten) | 1760 comments I read his novel The Ascent last winter, looking forward to this eon

I've yet to read anything that wasn't excellent from Malfi. I'll be jumping into it tonight.

I didn't get to read much, got to chapter 3 I think. Talking about when the boys were born.

Terry | 4931 comments I've read up to ch5. I did like that first chapter (view spoiler)

Terry wrote: "I've read up to ch5. I did like that first chapter [spoilers removed]"

I agree.

Mallory is so scary. I don't have a twin but I do have a sister and we are close. We talk (text) everyday. If she went missing, I'd completely lose it. :(

Terry | 4931 comments Latasha wrote: "Mallory is so scary. I don't have a twin but I do have a sister and we are close. We talk (text) everyday. If she went missing, I'd completely lose it. :("

Very cool. (view spoiler)

Me too Terry. The tales of dread's hand is interesting. What is up with this place?!

Terry | 4931 comments Latasha wrote: "Me too Terry. The tales of dread's hand is interesting. What is up with this place?!"

I know! What a great name though.

Yeah!

So, I'm starting to read this (yes, I'm behind) and the first thing that hits me is how good Malfi is at telling a tale. The word "professional" first comes to mind. He has such a vast vocabulary, but he uses it with such an easy delivery that it doesn't feel like he's trying. Some authors feel like they flex their vocabular muscle simply because they can, not because they should.

Terry | 4931 comments Ken wrote: "So, I'm starting to read this (yes, I'm behind) and the first thing that hits me is how good Malfi is at telling a tale. The word "professional" first comes to mind. He has such a vast vocabulary, ..."

I agree, too, Ken. Smooth is the word I'd use for the writing style as I've experienced it so far.

These kids are creepy as hell!

Rachel Bea (gekrepten) | 1760 comments I'm late, but I will be starting tomorrow :)

Just finished Chapter 6 - (view spoiler)

Terry | 4931 comments Ken wrote: "Just finished Chapter 6 - [spoilers removed]"

I agree! (view spoiler)

The ending of Chapter 7 just blew my mind. I must learn more!

Terry | 4931 comments Ken wrote: "The ending of Chapter 7 just blew my mind. I must learn more!"

Right?! That is the point I stopped. What did he mean!!

message 31: by Latasha (last edited Oct 07, 2017 02:34PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

I'm done. I really liked this story and never saw that last half of the book coming. and it broke my heart.

(view spoiler)

Rachel Bea (gekrepten) | 1760 comments I'm only on page 47 (13%). Ended up having a busy weekend with family coming in.

But it's so good! Really creepy in my opinion. Scared to find out what happened to Danny.

Terry | 4931 comments Rachel wrote: "I'm only on page 47 (13%). Ended up having a busy weekend with family coming in.

But it's so good! Really creepy in my opinion. Scared to find out what happened to Danny."

Glad you started, Rachel. It really does feel creepy. I'm right at the midpoint, and its still good!

Rachel Bea (gekrepten) | 1760 comments Read a little bit on a work break, got to page 72 (19%)

1. (view spoiler)

2. (view spoiler)

3. (view spoiler)

Rachel Bea (gekrepten) | 1760 comments Terry wrote: "Latasha wrote: "Mallory is so scary. I don't have a twin but I do have a sister and we are close. We talk (text) everyday. If she went missing, I'd completely lose it. :("

Very cool. [spoilers rem..."

I am curious about that, too. I liked that we saw hints of it at the beginning of the book, when (view spoiler)

Rachel Bea (gekrepten) | 1760 comments Ken wrote: "Just finished Chapter 6 - [spoilers removed]"

YES i loved that part.

Terry | 4931 comments Rachel wrote: "Read a little bit on a work break, got to page 72 (19%)

1. [spoilers removed]

2. [spoilers removed]

3. [spoilers removed]"

Great comments, Rachel!

1. (view spoiler)

2. (view spoiler)

3. (view spoiler)

Rachel Bea (gekrepten) | 1760 comments This book is making me rethink my lifelong dream of going to Alaska lol.

I got up to page 130 now - about 34%.

(view spoiler)

Loved the chapter with Keith, (view spoiler)

Another good scene was when (view spoiler)

Rachel Bea (gekrepten) | 1760 comments Terry wrote: "Rachel wrote: "Read a little bit on a work break, got to page 72 (19%)

1. [spoilers removed]

2. [spoilers removed]

3. [spoilers removed]"

Great comments, Rachel!

1. [spoilers removed]

2. [spo..."

Re: 1, (view spoiler)

Terry | 4931 comments Rachel wrote: "This book is making me rethink my lifelong dream of going to Alaska lol.

[spoilers removed]

Loved the chapter with Keith, [spoilers removed]

Another good s..."

Ha, no kidding, although I still want to go at some point myself, too.
On that part with the mother (view spoiler)
Yes on the legends and mysteries part. He even named a few I was familiar with.
On your last comment (view spoiler)

Rachel Bea (gekrepten) | 1760 comments Oh, something else before I move on (just starting chapter 13) (view spoiler)

Also (view spoiler)

Terry | 4931 comments Rachel wrote: "Oh, something else before I move on (just starting chapter 13) [spoilers removed]

Also [spoilers removed]"

Good question! (view spoiler)

And (view spoiler)

So (view spoiler)

I've just made it up to ch20. Still very good so far.

Terry wrote: "Rachel wrote: "This book is making me rethink my lifelong dream of going to Alaska lol.

[spoilers removed]

..."

It's funny you mention 30 Days of Night. I've kind of had that movie in the back of my head while reading this. Obviously, it's the remote northern Alaska small town as the location, but the picture is there, nevertheless.

message 45: by Rachel (last edited Oct 11, 2017 10:26AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rachel Bea (gekrepten) | 1760 comments Terry wrote: "Rachel wrote: "Oh, something else before I move on (just starting chapter 13) [spoilers removed]

Also [spoilers removed]"

Good question! [spoilers removed]

And [spoilers removed]

So [spoilers r..."

(view spoiler)

I got up to page 162 on the train. I want to keep reading! When my train emerged from the tunnel and started going over the bridge, I looked out the window and expected to see snow lol. I was THAT lost in the story :D (And it didn't help that the train car was air conditioned to freezing temps)

Rachel Bea (gekrepten) | 1760 comments Terry wrote: "Rachel wrote: "Oh, something else before I move on (just starting chapter 13) [spoilers removed]

Also [spoilers removed]"

Good question! [spoilers removed]

And [spoilers removed]

So [spoilers r..."

I'm worried about that too! (view spoiler)

I read all the spoilers and will comment soon! I'm working 12 hours today & tomorrow 🙄😤

Terry | 4931 comments I've just finished ch21. (view spoiler)

Terry | 4931 comments Ken wrote: "Terry wrote: "Rachel wrote: "This book is making me rethink my lifelong dream of going to Alaska lol.

[spoilers removed]

Loved the chapter with Keith, [spoi..."

Its the same ominous, cold kinda feeling. The cold adds to the darkness and the sense that you're not supposed to be there.

Rachel wrote: "This book is making me rethink my lifelong dream of going to Alaska lol.

[spoilers removed]

Another good s..."

(view spoiler)

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

December Park (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Ronald Malfi (other topics)