Play Book Tag discussion

Doc
This topic is about Doc
September 2017: American > Doc by Mary Doria Russell 5 stars

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Diane Zwang | 485 comments Wow, what a great book. Beyond their famous names, I knew very little about Doc, John Henry Holliday, and Wyatt Earp. It was very entertaining reading about the wild west although I don't consider Kansas being part of the wild west but it was back then. Out of all the things that I learned from this book tuberculosis comes to the for front especially untreated TB. Oh my, thank goodness for modern medicine. “He had spent his entire adult life dying, trying all the while to make sense of a dozen contradictory theories about what caused his disease and how to treat it, when his own continued existence could be used to support any of them.”

“...where a conductor comes along the aisle and asks a drunk where he's going. “To hell, I reckon,” the drunk says, and the conductor answers, “Tickets a dollar. Get off at Dodge.”

“Get out of my sight,” he muttered, despairing. “Get out of Dodge. And don't come back, you soulless cur.” I knew the saying 'get out of Dodge' would end up some where in this story.

Doc made for a very interesting character; a dental surgeon in the 1870s, highly educated, music lover who could shoot and fight like the best of them. I appreciated Mary Doria Russell's attention to detail. I liked her epilogue about what was factual and what she took liberties with. This is my first book by the author and I look forward to reading more of her work especially Epitaph.

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2275 comments Ditto all you said. I really enjoyed learning so much about Doc Holiday.

annapi | 5069 comments I loved this book! Gave it 5 stars too. Unfortunately, Epitaph was not as good. Doc was really the best character and when the focus fell from him to the Earps it just was not as compelling. Still good, but it was a bit of a slog for me. And the end went on just a bit too long.

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6017 comments It made my favorites the year I read it. So glad you enjoyed it.