A Christmas Carol A Christmas Carol question

Did Scrooge have a heart before the gohsts came?
Shanice Shanice Sep 30, 2017 12:22PM
I think before scrooge was visited by the ghosts he had a very black cold heart!

I think Scrooge realized finally after the visit by the ghost of the future that you can't take the money with you, so you might as well spend it to provide happiness to others.

Chris (last edited Jan 03, 2018 06:44AM ) Jan 03, 2018 06:40AM   0 votes
I think the real question isn't whether Scrooge had a heart before the arrival of the ghosts, but whether he really changed afterwards. I would like to present the hypothesis that Scrooge's transformation is at best dishonest; at worst, manipulative.

The entire quotation that follows is from my doctoral dissertation (p.114) - “Time is Everything with Him”: The Concept of the Eternal Now in Nineteenth-Century Gothic. Tampere, Finland: Tampere University Press, 2017 - where the relevant sources can be found. The dissertation is available for free from the repository of the Tampere University Press: tampub.uta.fi/handle/10024/102205. More info on my research can be found here: https://homeforfiction.com/academic.html

As Grossman argues, the only thing that has ultimately changed is Scrooge’s mood shifting; “depressive in the beginning, he is manic in the end”, and his peculiar jokes are still not a product of his desire to amuse others, but only himself:

His jokes, articulating the uneasy space between himself and society, reflect in their nervous releases how Scrooge’s isolation from the novel’s community is unbridgeable and, perhaps, partly unwritten. Perhaps because the possibility of Scrooge’s Jewishness troubles, but never enters, the narrator’s discourse, the narrative cannot fully resolve Scrooge’s predicament. (Grossman 1996, 51)

Even Scrooge’s obsession of identifying time with money, which is arguably the root of his problems and the central issue of the entire plot, does not seem to be resolved in an unambiguous way at the end. In particular, when the supposedly reformed Scrooge talks to the boy in the street, he says: “Come back with the man, and I’ll give you a shilling. Come back with him in less than five minutes and I’ll give you half-a-crown!” (CC 72) apparently “still indexing money to time in sound capitalist fashion” (Downes 2013, 25). Hence, the ending of A Christmas Carol cannot be fully taken as a true transformation.

Scrooge had forgotten that life is not about money, the ghosts showed im what he was missing and the time he was wasting.