Reading the Detectives discussion

Group reads > December 2017 Group Read - Winner!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 76 (76 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Judy (new)

Judy (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejudyg) | 8431 comments Mod
It's time to nominate for our December group read!. You are welcome to nominate books by Golden Age authors, or titles which were written later but are set during the Golden Age. Just one nomination per group member, please.

Festive-themed books are very welcome. :)

Please don't nominate The Lake District Murder by John Bude, Information Received by E.R. Punshon or An Expert in Murder by Nicola Upson, as these are already going forward to our Second Chance Poll in December.

message 2: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 592 comments So we will be reading the winner of the Second Chance poll in January?

message 3: by Judy (last edited Sep 30, 2017 01:44PM) (new)

Leslie, we will be reading the winner of the Second Chance poll in February, as we vote 2 months ahead. I just had to stop and work this out - hard to think that far ahead!

message 4: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 592 comments How about Tied Up In Tinsel by Ngaio Marsh for December?

message 5: by Susan (last edited Sep 30, 2017 11:31PM) (new)

Susan | 9431 comments Mod
An English Murder by Cyril Hare An English Murder by Cyril Hare
There is a new edition of this out for Christmas, but there are also lots of previous editions available.

The snow is thick, the phone line is down, and no one is getting in or out of Warbeck Hall. With friends and family gathered round the fire, all should be set for a perfect Christmas, but as the bells chime midnight, a mysterious murder takes place.

Who can be responsible? The scorned young lover? The lord's passed-over cousin? The social climbing politician's wife? The Czech history professor? The obsequious butler? And perhaps the real question is: can any of them survive long enough to tell the tale?

message 6: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) | 715 comments Perhaps we might be ready for another Margery Allingham? The third Campion mystery is Look to the Lady/The Gyrth Chalice Mystery (1931). Campion and Lugg try to help a friend save the family treasures from a band of criminals.

message 7: by Susan (new)

This thread is unusually quiet - is everyone racking their brains for titles? Nominations don't have to be Christmas/winter themed.

message 8: by Judy (last edited Oct 03, 2017 11:13PM) (new)

Yes, please keep the nominations coming - Christmas themes are optional and other themes are very welcome too! :)

message 9: by Sandy (last edited Oct 04, 2017 08:29AM) (new)

Sandy | 2563 comments Mod
I'll nominate The Crime at the ‘Noah’s Ark’: A Golden Age Mystery. It is a book I have on my kindle, probably a freebie, that I've been saving for Christmas.

blurb:
A number of parties heading for a luxurious holiday spot, are forced by severe winter weather to put up at the ‘Noah’s Ark’, a hostelry they will share with Dr. Constantine, a shrewd chess master and keen observer of all around him. Other guests include bestselling novelist Angus Stuart, the aristocratic Romsey family, a pair of old spinster sisters, and a galloping major whose horseplay gets him into hot water – and then gets him murdered.

Who is the masked intruder who causes such a commotion on the first night? Who has stolen Mrs van Dolen’s emeralds, and who has slashed everyone’s (almost everyone’s) car tyres? And are the murderer and thief one and the same, or are the guests faced with two desperate criminals hiding in plain sight in the snowbound inn? Dr. Constantine, aided by two of the younger guests, is compelled to investigate this sparkling Christmas mystery before anyone else ends up singing in the heavenly choir …

The Crime at the ‘Noah’s Ark’ was first published in 1931.

Hilary (A Wytch's Book Review) (knyttwytch) Sorry got the flu - can just about read!

Hilary (A Wytch's Book Review) (knyttwytch) but how about The Sittaford Mystery by Agatha Christie The Sittaford Mystery by Agatha Christie

Agatha Christie is more than the most popular mystery writer of all time. In a career that spans over half a century, her name is synonymous with brilliant deception, ingenious puzzles, and the surprise denouement. By virtually inventing the modern mystery novel she has earned her title as the Queen of Crime. Curious? Then you're invited to read....THE SITTAFORD MYSTERY

M-U-R-D-E-R. It began as an innocent parlor game intended to while away the hours on a bitter winter night.

But the message that appeared before the amateur occultists at the snowbound Sittaford House was spelled out as loud and clear as a scream. Of course, the notion that they had foretold doom was pure bunk. Wasn't it? And the discovery of a corpse was pure coincidence. Wasn't it? If they're to discover the answer to this baffling murder, perhaps they should play again. But a journey into the spirit world could prove terribly dangerous-especially when the killer is lurking in this one.

Also known as Murder at Hazelmoor Murder at Hazelmoor by Agatha Christie

A stand along Christie and Winter based

message 12: by Jan C (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 1296 comments Case for Three Detectives by Leo Bruce.

Possibly the most unusual mystery ever written. A murder is committed, behind closed doors, in bizarre circumstances. Three amateur detectives take the case: Lord Simon Plimsoll, Monsieur Amer Picon, and Monsignor Smith (in whom discerning readers will note likeness to some familiar literary figures). Each arrives at his own brilliant solution, startling in its originality, ironclad in its logic. Meanwhile Sergeant Beef sits contemptuously in the background. "But, " says Sergeant Beef, "I know who done it".

I was particularly intrigued by the beginning although there might be some complaints, much along the lines of The Circular Staircase: "I cannot pretend that there was anything sinister in the atmosphere that evening. " Looking back and telling the story from hindsight. But the beginning looks good.

message 13: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) | 715 comments I haven’t read a Leo Bruce in years! Had totally forgotten about him.

message 14: by Jan C (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 1296 comments Abigail wrote: "I haven’t read a Leo Bruce in years! Had totally forgotten about him."

I had never heard of him. And it looks like he has quite a few books.

message 15: by Susan (last edited Oct 04, 2017 10:08PM) (new)

Hilary, I totally sympathise. I don't have flu, but I am feeling miserable, with a heavy cold, and it is hard to read at the moment.... Some great suggestions.

message 16: by Judy (new)

Get well soon, Hilary and Susan!

Yes, some great suggestions - I will add another one to the mix, Murder for Christmas by Francis Duncan. I read this last year and thought then it would make a fun group read.

Murder for Christmas (Mordecai Tremaine Mystery #1) by Francis Duncan

A festive mystery for the holiday season: mulled wine, mince pies... and murder

When Mordecai Tremaine arrives at the country retreat of one Benedict Grame on Christmas Eve, he discovers that the revelries are in full swing in the sleepy village of Sherbroome--but so too are tensions amongst the assortment of guests.

When midnight strikes, the partygoers discover that presents aren't the only things nestled under the tree...there's a dead body too. A dead body that bears a striking resemblance to Father Christmas. With the snow falling and suspicions flying, it's up to Mordecai to sniff out the culprit--and prevent anyone else from getting murder for Christmas.

message 17: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 310 comments Susan wrote: "Hilary, I totally sympathise. I don't have flu, but I am feeling miserable, with a heavy cold, and it is hard to read at the moment.... Some great suggestions."

Best wishes to all who are feeling under the weather at the moment. Isn't it annoying that just when you could really do with snuggling down with a good book you just can't manage it!

message 18: by Susan (new)

Thank you for acknowledging my malingering, Ruth :)

Jay-me (Janet)  | 164 comments Crimson Snow: Winter Mysteries.

Crimson Snow brings together a dozen vintage crime stories set in winter. Welcome to a world of Father Christmases behaving oddly, a famous fictional detective in a Yuletide drama, mysterious tracks in the snow, and some very unpleasant carol singers. There's no denying that the supposed season of goodwill is a time of year that lends itself to detective fiction. On a cold night, it's tempting to curl up by the fireside with a good mystery. And more than that, claustrophobic house parties, with people cooped up with long-estranged relatives, can provide plenty of motives for murder. Including forgotten stories by major writers such as Margery Allingham, as well as classic tales by less familiar crime novelists, each story in this selection is introduced by the leading expert on classic crime, Martin Edwards. The resulting volume is an entertaining and atmospheric compendium of wintry delights.

message 20: by Susan (new)

Great suggestion, Jay-me.

message 21: by Tania (new)

Tania | 390 comments How about A Christmas Party. It has an alternative title which I'll find when I'm on a computer.

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 592 comments Tania wrote: "How about A Christmas Party. It has an alternative title which I'll find when I'm on a computer."

That's Envious Casca One of Heyer's best mysteries.

message 23: by Judy (new)

Crimson Snow is a great nomination, Jay-me - I think it would make for some good discussion.

I read it last year and originally wanted to nominate it then but it wasn't out in the US at that time.

message 24: by Judy (new)

Envious Casca/A Christmas Party is another excellent nomination, Tania - we have quite a line-up for this month's poll now!

message 25: by Susan (new)

Yes, it started slowly, but now - as always - a wonderful number of choices.

message 26: by Roman Clodia (new)

Roman Clodia | 734 comments Judy wrote: "Envious Casca/A Christmas Party is another excellent nomination, Tania - we have quite a line-up for this month's poll now!"

I've only discovered Heyer's romances fairly recently and would love to try one of her crime novels so Envious Casca looks perfect!

message 27: by Susan (new)

I really have no idea of which to pick - I wish we could read them all :)

message 28: by Sandy (new)

Susan wrote: "I really have no idea of which to pick - I wish we could read them all :)"

Too bad the actual holiday takes up so much time.

message 29: by Mark Pghfan (new)

Mark Pghfan | 362 comments Murder for Christmas promises to be very holiday-like, which is good. I also like the idea of the book of stories.

message 30: by Susan (new)

I think most of the choices have a Christmas theme, which is good. I have read Murder for Christmas, but none of the others.

message 31: by Judy (new)

The poll is now up, and it's a bumper selection this month, with 9 nominations, so do please vote!

https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

message 32: by Susan (new)

What a great choice, we are spoilt this month.

message 33: by Rosina (new)

Rosina (rosinarowantree) | 670 comments Look to the Lady was a radio play, and the first time I met Albert Campion. We sat round the kitchen table on a Saturday evening, listening to it. That was in 1957, when I was 10 - and I still remember the thrill of it!

message 34: by Susan (new)

Was Look to the Lady a Christmas story, Rosina? I only ask as most of the books in the vote are Christmas themed and I still haven't read beyond the first Campion novel!

message 35: by Rosina (new)

Rosina (rosinarowantree) | 670 comments Susan wrote: "Was Look to the Lady a Christmas story, Rosina? I only ask as most of the books in the vote are Christmas themed and I still haven't read beyond the first Campion novel!"

I don't think Christmas features at all - I'll have to listen to the audio book again. It's not like Envious Casca, or Tied up in Tinsel. My memory of it is that it's set in summer, or at least a time of year when one can go out and not freeze.

message 36: by Susan (new)

OK. So a good choice for members who don't want to be snowed in a country house, with some dodgy house guests then? I say this, of course, having nominated a book where people are snowed in, in a country house...

message 37: by Jan C (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 1296 comments Susan wrote: "OK. So a good choice for members who don't want to be snowed in a country house, with some dodgy house guests then? I say this, of course, having nominated a book where people are snowed in, in a c..."

I finished it not too long ago and there's no Christmas involved. But it is a good read.

message 38: by Judy (new)

Looking close in early voting, with The Crime at the 'Noah's Ark' in the lead.

message 39: by Susan (new)

Noah's Ark is one of the many books I downloaded free, I think, and looks a good choice. There are some excellent nominations though.

message 40: by Judy (new)

Look to the Lady is now just one vote behind Noah's Ark, with voting spread widely between all the contenders.

Not all that many people have voted yet, though, so please do choose your favourite!

message 41: by Susan (new)

Noah's Ark is pulling away at the moment.

message 42: by Judy (new)

I've changed my vote to A Christmas Party/Envious Casca by Georgette Heyer, as my nomination isn't doing very well and I read Noah's Ark not so long ago - though I would be happy to revisit. I'd enjoy reading some more Heyer.

message 43: by Susan (new)

I note that the Heyer is on kindle under the title A Christmas Party, but only in paperback under Envious Casca. Also, it follows No Wind of Blame for anyone who likes to read books in order.

message 44: by Judy (new)

Thanks Susan - Envious Casca is such a great title, shame the publisher changed it but I suppose they wanted the Christmas market!

I'm not sure if the order is worth worrying about for her books, as the police inspectors seem to be fairly anonymous judging by the couple of books I've read so far - maybe our Heyer experts can say?

message 45: by Susan (new)

I would be interested to know, certainly. I agree that Envious Casca is a much better title!

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 592 comments Susan wrote: "I would be interested to know, certainly. I agree that Envious Casca is a much better title!"

Envious Casca Spoiler (view spoiler)

I've always read them out of order but Detection Unlimited & Duplicate Death share some characters, so it might be more enjoyable to read in order.

Also Footsteps in the Dark is charming but a bit clunky. & her next one Why Shoot a Butler? IMO is a terrible book. GH herself has said she can't work out how the murder is done in that one! Unless you are a Heyer completist, it may be best to start from Death in the Stocks (which has already been read both here & in the Heyer group.:)

message 47: by Judy (last edited Oct 22, 2017 02:01PM) (new)

Thanks Carol - so does Envious Casca work well as a standalone read?

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 592 comments Judy wrote: "Thanks Carol - so does Envious Casca work well as a standalone read?"

For me it does. It is one of my favourites of GH's mysteries.

message 49: by Judy (new)

You make Envious Casca sound very tempting, Carol. With Noah's Ark in the lead, it may not be that likely to win, but I think I will read it over Christmas anyway...

message 50: by Sandy (new)

I plan to include Envious Casca in my Christmas reads (along with Noah's Ark), and am reading earlier Heyers to be ready. So far reading in sequence doesn't seem important, but I can be rather compulsive. Now if another book wins, with two Miss Marples, I may be over booked (a pun!).

« previous 1