Reading the Detectives discussion

Group Challenges > 2018 Group Challenge Announcement

Comments Showing 1-50 of 118 (118 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Susan (new)

Susan | 10012 comments Mod
For our 2018 Challenge, we have decided to do ‘The First Twelve’ of a major Golden Age author. The author we have chosen is NGAIO MARSH.
As we have read the first of her series as a group read before, we will offer an alternative book for the January 2018 read. The challenge will therefore consist of:

January: A Man Lay Dead (1934)
January Alternative Title: Ngaio Marsh: Her Life in Crime by Joanne Drayton
February: Enter a Murderer (1935)
March: The Nursing Home Murder (1935)
April: Death in Ecstasy (1936)
May: Vintage Murder (1937)
June: Artists in Crime (1938)
July: Death in a White Tie (1938)
August: Overture to Death (1939)
September: Death at the Bar (1940)
October: Death of a Peer (1940)
November: Death and the Dancing Footman (1941)
December: Colour Scheme (1943)

Obviously, we cannot do all of the books in the series, but we hope everyone will enjoy reading along with us.

message 2: by Judy (new)

Judy (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejudyg) | 8937 comments Mod
Thanks so much for announcing this, Susan, and for all your work behind the scenes to arrange this challenge - really looking forward to it. Please say if you plan to join us on our Ngaio Marsh challenge! :)

message 3: by Susan (new)

My pleasure, Judy :)

message 4: by Marcus (new)

Marcus Vinicius | 169 comments I plan to join it, Judy and Susan. I'm looking forward to know the Author.

message 5: by Judy (new)

That's great, Marcus. Marsh is one of the Golden Age greats but we haven't read much by her here compared to Christie and Sayers, so this is a chance to give her some love too!

message 6: by Lesley (last edited Sep 30, 2017 10:39AM) (new)

Lesley | 384 comments I'll be joining in, and will add some information and interesting facts on Dame Ngaio Marsh nearer the time. But to start with, I'll try to solve the mystery for some on how to say her name.

Ngaio is a Maori, so the g is silent - as in song. You say n-ay-o. From this link by clicking on the little arrow next to Pronounce you can hear how it is said
https://forvo.com/word/mi/ngaio/

message 7: by Jan C (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 1375 comments That's great. For the last couple of years I have been picking up her books at used book sales. I am up to #4 now. I think I still have the previous ones. I will join in.

I had tried reading her in the '80s when a co-worker loaned me some of her books. They just kept putting me to sleep. I'm enjoying them a lot more this time around.

message 8: by Carolien (new)

Carolien (carolien_s) | 511 comments I'll be happy to read more of her books, I've read the first two. My mother and mother-in-law should be able to supply most of them.

message 9: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) | 802 comments Oh yay! I keep meaning to read Marsh and not getting around to it. This will be my chance to make good.

message 10: by Susan (new)

Great response so far - I am looking forward to reading more by her too :)

message 11: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (bibliohound) | 362 comments Wonderful! I've read a few of these but ages ago, so am looking forward to joining this challenge.

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 605 comments A my library has that biography.

I have some of the titles & will join in when I can. :)

message 13: by Jill (new)

Jill (dogbotsmum) | 2060 comments I will definitely look forward to joining in with reading this author. I have a large number of the books,the only drawback being that some of them have very small print.

message 14: by Judy (new)

Lesley~aka Ella's Gran wrote: "I'll be joining in, and will add some information and interesting facts on Dame Ngaio Marsh nearer the time. But to start with, I'll try to solve the mystery for some on how to say her name.

Ngaio..."

Thanks for the pronunciation guide, Lesley - I've always wondered if I'm getting this right! I was, just about anyway...

Hilary (A Wytch's Book Review) (knyttwytch) I'll be in for this!

message 16: by Lesley (new)

Lesley | 384 comments Judy wrote: "Lesley~aka Ella's Gran wrote: "I'll be joining in, and will add some information and interesting facts on Dame Ngaio Marsh nearer the time. But to start with, I'll try to solve the mystery for some..."

She (Ngaio) was always somewhat bemused at the various attempts by non-New Zealanders in pronouncing her name, so thought it was a good thing to begin with! :)

message 17: by Lady Clementina (new)

Lady Clementina ffinch-ffarowmore | 1172 comments Sounds great- looking forward to this. I have only one of these but will try to get hold of as many of the others as I can

message 18: by Susan (new)

Good to hear so many positive responses. I hope that posting this fairly early will give everyone a chance to get organised. I know it is often possible to get cheaper, second hand books, but they do take a long while to arrive, etc.

message 19: by Roman Clodia (new)

Roman Clodia | 812 comments I've only read one Marsh, I think, and none on the Challenge so looking forward to this. My library has some of them on audiobook so they'll be perfect commute 'reads'.

message 20: by Susan (new)

Pleased to hear you will be joining us, RC :)

message 21: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 2787 comments Mod
I'm looking forward to reading Marsh. I loved one book, another not so much, so by 2019 I will have an opinion.

message 22: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (quiltsrme) | 14 comments As an FYI, "Death of a Peer" has the alternate title of "Surfeit of Lampreys". (available at both Audible and Amazon with the 2nd title).

message 23: by Brina (new)

Brina I have never read Marsh. I may read 1 or 2 to see if she interests me.

message 24: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Haimes I have not read any of her books before so I'm looking forward to the challenge and "meeting" a new author. Thank you for organising the challenge.

message 25: by Susan (new)

I have only read a couple of her novels, myself. Odd, really, as she is such a huge name in the genre. Let's hope we all enjoy exploring her work next year.

message 26: by Judy (new)

Stephanie wrote: "As an FYI, "Death of a Peer" has the alternate title of "Surfeit of Lampreys". (available at both Audible and Amazon with the 2nd title)."

Thank you, Stephanie - I remember reading it under this name in the past.

message 27: by Judy (new)

I've read lots of Marsh, but not much in the last few years - I found her very enjoyable, so hope everyone else enjoys her books too. :)

message 28: by Lady Clementina (new)

Lady Clementina ffinch-ffarowmore | 1172 comments Judy wrote: "I've read lots of Marsh, but not much in the last few years - I found her very enjoyable, so hope everyone else enjoys her books too. :)"

I've only only a handful and only one from next years selection, so am looking forward to exploring the others. Hope I can find them in time :)

message 29: by Lady Clementina (last edited Oct 04, 2017 12:19AM) (new)

Lady Clementina ffinch-ffarowmore | 1172 comments Judy wrote: "I've read lots of Marsh, but not much in the last few years - I found her very enjoyable, so hope everyone else enjoys her books too. :)"

I've read only a handful and only one from next year's selection, so am looking forward to exploring the others. Hope I can find them in time :)

message 30: by Susan (new)

Hope so too, Lady. There is, we hope, plenty of time to get organised for the challenge.

Jay-me (Janet)  | 164 comments I have read quite a few in the past, and still own some paperback copies. I'm not sure how many of the others I can get my hands on to read, so may only join in sporadically (isn't that a good word for a dull, grey & wet Wednesday morning)

message 32: by Susan (new)

Great word, Jay-me, and you are welcome to join in as, and when, you want :)

message 33: by Mark Pghfan (new)

Mark Pghfan | 365 comments I think I will be in with this as well. I've read a number of Marsh's books, but I'm way more unfamiliar with them that I was with the Sayers and Christie books. Time to start the hunting and gathering of the books!

message 34: by Susan (new)

It will be interesting to read an author that so many of are less familiar with. Much as I love Sayers and Christie, I am looking forward to reading the beginning of a series written by another huge GA author.

message 35: by Michelle (last edited Oct 04, 2017 06:48AM) (new)

Michelle (michelleae) | 257 comments I've been reading my wAy through for a while, currently up to number 18, Swing, Brother, Swing so will join in on what I can remember! There are a couple of hers that aren't published I think, so my numbers may be a bit out, Wikipedia which I'm using for order has it as 18 but Goodreads as 15!

What might be interesting for a bonus/buddy read is to read the one she started but didn't finish and which Stella Duffy is supposed to be finishing off and publishing sometime in 2018. Wikipedia lists it as no15 Money in the Morgue.

Thanks to Judy and Susan for their work in putting this together.

message 36: by Jan C (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 1375 comments Michelle wrote: "I've been reading my wAy through for a while, currently up to number 18, Swing, Brother, Swing so will join in on what I can remember! There are a couple of hers that aren't publishe..."

That's #15 on the Stop You're Killing Me list (https://www.stopyourekillingme.com/M_...).

message 37: by Susan (new)

Michelle, thanks for the suggestion. Perhaps it can be a 'buddy read' if anyone wants to read on, as we did with Sayers, where some of us continued with the Jill Paton Walsh books. Let's see where we end up :)

message 38: by Tara (new)

Tara  | 809 comments I've never read any of Marsh's books, so I'm looking forward to this challenge. I got a lot of paperbacks from ebay for a good price, since my local library will be under construction until 2019, so no borrowing for me for a while.

message 39: by Jan C (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 1375 comments Tara wrote: "I've never read any of Marsh's books, so I'm looking forward to this challenge. I got a lot of paperbacks from ebay for a good price, since my local library will be under construction until 2019, s..."

Do you have OverDrive? You can check out online ebooks and audiobooks.

message 40: by Tara (new)

Tara  | 809 comments I do, and I mostly use it for audiobooks, but I prefer physical books, and my library never seems to have what I want when I want it. Plus I can resell the books when I'm done with them, if I don't decide to keep!

message 41: by Susan (new)

Sadly, the thirteenth and fifteenth book in the series are 99p today, but they are outside our challenge. I will keep my eyes peeled for further titles being reduced.

message 42: by Sue (new)

Sue Gray | 1 comments I have only read one of hers and it left me unmoved. So this is a great opportunity to delve in again!

message 43: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Burke | 1 comments Wonderful! She's one of my MIL's favorite authors and I have the books sitting here!

message 44: by Lady Clementina (new)

Lady Clementina ffinch-ffarowmore | 1172 comments I find now I have 3 of the twelve so only 9 more to get hold of.

message 45: by Susan (new)

It's a good start, Lady :)

message 46: by Judy (new)

I've just mentioned this over in the Kindle deals thread - 8 books in the series are 99p today, including Artists in Crime from our Challenge list. The others are later entries in the series.

message 47: by Lesley (new)

Lesley | 384 comments My account is with .com and you won't believe it but none of the Ngaio Marsh books are available for sale!! They used to be, but ...
Just as well my library has all of them in print, e, and audio.

message 48: by Judy (new)

Sorry to hear that, Lesley - you would think all of the Ngaio Marsh books would be available in New Zealand!! Glad to hear your library has them, anyway!

message 49: by Jan C (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 1375 comments I don't think she is even available on Kindle in the US. Which is why I have been picking them up at used book sales.

message 50: by Susan (new)

So annoying, isn't it, Jan? I remember when you said that there was a Jane Haddam discount in the US and I was green with envy :)

« previous 1 3