Navigating Indieworld Discussing All Things Indie discussion

Where Can I Promote My Book? > Library of Congress Help

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Becky (last edited Sep 30, 2017 09:54AM) (new)

Becky Benishek (becky_benishek) | 166 comments I was contacted by a librarian in another state about donating Dr. Guinea Pig George to her library as her readers love guinea pigs. Naturally I'm looking forward to doing that!

But I've been putting off figuring out how to get Library of Congress information into my books because there's a cost involved, and reading up on it gives me loads of acronyms (LOC, CIP, PCN) and varying advice, all of which has also given me a distinct sense of, "I don't know what I'm doing, HELP."

Any insight into the best way to get this going & doing it right the first time?

message 2: by Denise (last edited Sep 30, 2017 10:33AM) (new)

Denise Baer Hi Becky,

If you have created a publishing name/imprint, you can request a Library of Congress (LOC) number. There is no cost involved. I don't know where you received that information. How much does it cost?

"There is no charge for a Preassigned Control Number (PCN). However, participating publishers are obligated to send a complimentary copy of all books for which a Preassigned Control Number (PCN) was provided immediately upon publication. Publishers failing to meet this obligation may be suspended from the program. Please note that all books submitted to the Library of Congress in compliance with the PCN Program are property of the Library of Congress and therefore are not returnable."

Here is the site: PCN Open an account and then you would do a Preassigned Control Number (PCN Application), which you'd see once you have an account. It's easy and free of charge. The only thing you will receive with the PCN is an address to send the complimentary copy of your book.

Hope this helps!

message 3: by Carole (new)

Carole P. Roman | 4588 comments Mod
Ii want to say on Bowker you can get Library of Congress numbers too. But I am not positive.

message 4: by Becky (new)

Becky Benishek (becky_benishek) | 166 comments Thank you, Denise and Carole!

I'd been finding sites where people will do it for you for a fee, often described as "the lowest fee you'll find anywhere!" so it really was sounding like it costs $$ regardless. Eek.

I haven't created a publishing name, though, just going through CreateSpace/Amazon, unless my LLC is enough.

message 5: by Becky (new)

Becky Benishek (becky_benishek) | 166 comments Darn. Books that are already published are ineligible. I'm going to ask them anyway.

Sam (Rescue Dog Mom, Writer, Hugger) (sammydogs) | 962 comments Becky wrote: "Darn. Books that are already published are ineligible. I'm going to ask them anyway."

Really? Doesn't seem fair. Do they want you to pay for a new ISBN or something that will cause you to lose your stats? Good luck, Becky! Hugs

message 7: by Becky (new)

Becky Benishek (becky_benishek) | 166 comments Thanks, Sam! :)

message 8: by Becky (last edited Oct 19, 2017 05:38AM) (new)

Becky Benishek (becky_benishek) | 166 comments My research has indeed uncovered that you have to have an unpublished book to apply.

Edit: Here is CreateSpace's answer:

"If you would like to include an LCCN in your book, it must be included on your files before they are submitted, as we are unable to add this information. Please keep in mind that the Library of Congress requires that your book has never been published; it does not assign LCCNs to books that have previously been published.

"In this case you create another book with same title name and content but different ISBN. Before submitting your book you can contact us about our LCCN service or obtain a LCCN independently."

Here is the LOC's answer:

"The Library of Congress Preassigned Control Numbers and Cataloging in Publication Data are only assigned to books that are not yet published. However, you may choose to donate your book as a gift to the Library of Congress.

"The Library of Congress welcomes inquiries about donations of library materials but reserves the right not to accept unsolicited items. Donated material will be reviewed for potential selection. The Library will not routinely notify donors of the disposition of gifts. The Library will dispose of unwanted unsolicited items in its sole discretion by such means as donation to or exchange with other institutions, recycling, or other means of disposal. Unsolicited donations will not be returned to donors.

"Prospective donors should NOT send or drop off unsolicited materials, but should send gift offers identifying the item(s) to be donated including author, title, place and date of publication, publisher and edition statement, if other than first edition, or equivalent information for material in other formats. The offer should also include an estimate of quantity and of physical condition of the proposed gift. Please send the offer via email to the U.S./Anglo Division at gifts@loc.gov. Prospective donors of books published in the United States should be aware that the Library acquires many U.S. titles through copyright deposit and their materials may already be part of the collection."

I decided to go ahead without for now. :)

Navigating Indieworld Discussing All Things Indie

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Dr. Guinea Pig George (other topics)